$800 gaming build and a PSU question

Hi, i have talked to my friend and have got a different system configured.

First, i have a PSU question(seeing no forum section for it)
In my local pc store there are these psu for a low price. my friend says that they will break and i should get a more expensive one. they have the watts i need. is my friend right

On to the build:
CPU:Intel Core i5-3450 3.1 GHz Processor
Motherboard:ASRock H61M-VS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory:Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Hard Drive: Kingston SSDNow V200 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Graphics Card: XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card
Case:Xigmatek Asgard II Black/Silver ATX Mid Tower Case
Optical DriveSony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer

Total : £439.36($688.43)
5 answers Last reply
More about gaming build question
  1. I do not claim to be a smart person but here is my opinion anyways.

Actually, I just want to know why you only want a SSD? That SSD will only have 128GB memory and then when you install an OS you will have considerably less memory. I noticed though that you posted it as a $800 build and it is only at $688. A good 1TB HDD can be purchased for the difference pretty easily. I thought I would mention this in the event that you didn't know/realize/or w/e. For all that I know you may have just forgot to put it.

About the PSU, a good PSU is always worth it. If you get a bad PSU then it can cause incredible problems. Something I read on the interwebz was that a golden rule for PSUs is that it should at least cost $10 per watt. (500 watt = $50) I don't know how accurate that is but based on my research it seems to be true for all good or well reviewed PSUs.

Tl;dr: don't skimp on a PSU. Think of it like a man with a power cable pointed at your computer and if you don't pay him well he will fry everything in there just for fun.

Also, I found this FANTASTIC site for building PCs that seems to have everything and lists the prices from many different websites.

www.pcpartpicker.com
  2. Actually, when you format a 120GB SSD, it will have 111GB left. Win 7 Home Premium takes up 20GB. However, you are right that an SSD without a secondary storage isn't a wise choice, especially at an $800 budget. Ditch the SSD and use the $ saved to upgrade the GPU, which is what makes or breaks a gaming build's performance.

Get the Radeon 7850 and OC it - that will give it performance a bit greater than a GTX 570's.
  3. What is the make and model of the local store's PSU that you are considering?

If you'd like more help with your build, filling this out will give us the information we need to go on.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice
  4. The mobo u r planning on is low end and will botleneck your system.
    You need to get a Z68 or Z77 chipset mobo to utilise the full potential of ur CPU.

I think that the i5-2500k will be a bettr choice.

Get a PSU of a reputed company of abt 500W.
    If u r planning to crossfire ur GPU in future, then get atleast 600W PSU.
  5. Thanks guys. don't know if i will get it. my father wants me t get laptop :(
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product