charon711

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Hi, I just got the notification that Catalyst has updated to 12.4 . I downloaded the installer, uninstalled 12.1 , and installed 12.4 . But when ever Trixx loads or i bring up Catalyst Control Center it says i still have 12.1.

Is this a known issue with this version?

EDIT:

I have the Radeon HD 6850

G

This might not do much, but try rebooting your computer. It will empty the system cache so al the information will hopefully be up to date.

avoidtheboyd

Honorable
May 12, 2012
i have this same problem. My graphics are also messed up in games, many out of place geometric shapes. Any clues? I have installed, uninstalled, downloaded, redownloaded, tried to update to a prior version and all to no avail. Any clues as to how to fix my graphics? I have Raedon HD 4300/4500.

skurvy_pirate

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Same problem! It keeps trying to update to 12.4, says it works, but still shows 12.1. Then says an update is available later. I looked at the Driver and CCC versions it is installing and they look to be installed. They are:

Driver: 8.961.0.0000

CCC: 2012.0405.2205.37728

Also games have stared crashes and getting weird artifacts as stated above. Anyone know what is going on?

ghosty87

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
I am having a similar problem. I have crossfired ati 5850's. Catalyst Control center says im on 12.1 even though I manually updated to 12.4. I have only tried Skyrim and Battlefield 3. Skyrim works much better now for me, but BF3 works fine for a few minutes then gets progressively laggier and until I get launched underground and the screen goes black and im forced to Ctrl alt Del.

Im going to try to downgrade to 11.9 or something, I have had trouble with all the #12 drivers.

randomkid

Distinguished
Add me to the list. I came from 12.3 which is good except that my CF 6950 seem to be stuttering in Skyrim ( not in Crysis 2, Prototype or ACB ). I upgraded to 12.4 but it does not show. Uninstalled & reinstalled several times but it still show 12.3 & whenever I asked CCC to check for update, it tells me that 12.4 is already available..

However, I know that 12.4 took effect because I also downloaded & installed the automatically detect & install utility: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/auto_detect.aspx and it tells me my driver is updated.

Also, my Skyrim runs much smoother now & stuttering is gone. There is a problem however, everytime I shutdown, the next time I power up & start skyrim, I get 15fps everytime. To get back the 60fps I use to play in 12.3 I must disable then re-enable the crossfire. It works every time too but its too inconvenient.

NKos13

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Im in the same place but mine is stuck at 11.12. Trying to play Diablo 3 on a ATI Radeon HD 4200 is hard enough as it is, but now graphics have been missing geometry and screwing with my head. Anyone know whats up with this?

randomkid

Distinguished

If you have such problem with the 12.4 it is better to roll back to earlier drivers.

As for the crossfire problem I mentioned in my earlier post, I discovered that the Logitech Framing Network ( for my G15 keyboard ) is conflicting with it. If I close the Logitech keyboard manager, my crossfire works right from boot up & no need to disable-reenable crossfire in catalyst.

evilneo

Honorable
May 20, 2012

i have the same exact problem and i'm stuck on update 12.1 and have at almost latest
game (AC REV,PES2012,MassEffect2)got these geometric shapes looks like a hole in the objects at any game(like walls at the game) triangle hole i think this problem because update 12.4 i hope i find a solution for this problem
i have Raedon HD 4300/4500

the_sarpo

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Same here. Changed the motherboard, updated HD 4870 driver to 12.4 and even 12.5 BETA but still says 09.7. No matter what I do, CCC shows it has 09.7. The interface of CCC changed which means that the driver is updated but info shows 09.7. Well, I gave up...

hollow2010

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
I am having the same problem. I wiped 12.1 clean of my system and installed 12.4, but every time I start my computer I get a pop up saying I have 12.1 installed and need to upgrade.

I tried reinstalling 12.4 again but I still get the same pop up.

I hope it's not affecting my Diablo III performance.

Gyronex

Honorable
May 28, 2012
I'm having the same issue as everyone else.
I'm running at 12.3, but it will not say that I have updated to 12.4
I'm missing a lot of geometry on SWTOR specifically, but it seems that any Source games work fine.

Novoty

Honorable
May 29, 2012
I'm also having the same problem ever since I updated to 12.3.
Several of my games refuse to start and I recently got BF3 from a friend and I got to play about 20 minutes alltogether tho crashing about 6-7 times and having to do like ghosty87.
Turning down the in game graphics to medium didnt help either.

I've tried upgrading several times to 12.4 but it wont work. Even going back to 12.2, which for me was very stable doesnt work either.
I've also tried to contact AMD but I havent gotten a reply yet.

I'm semi considering going over to nVidia as most my computer savvy friends have that and hasnt uttered any problems about it, whilst I'm stuck not being able to play the games I and others have spent money on.. which rather really sucks ~_~

I have a Radeon HD 6870 card.

Novoty

Honorable
May 29, 2012

What if one has AMD CPU and motherboard?

fourzeronine

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010

I don't see why that guide wouldn't work for an amd cpu/motherboard as well. Try it out. By the way 12.6 beta drivers are out. supposedly 12.4 was kind of a crap shoot and 12.6 includes includes most of the new features but without the bugs.

Novoty

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Long comment is long!

He says it in the very beginning of the guide tho..

Also, I contacted AMD as previously mentioned and they've answered me with a email and a guide of how to remove it after I told them about my troubles;

Thank you for contacting AMD
I understand that you are unable to play some games with Catalyst 12.3. Even after reverting back to 12.2 you are still getting the same issues. After installing 12.4 the system still states that you are on 12.3. If I have missed any critical information please let me know as my suggestions may change.
I would advise to go back to 12.2 where all the games were working fine. I know you reverted back to 12.2 but the same problem occurred as 12.3. The most common reason why the games don’t work on 12.2 anymore is because when you reverted back the ruminants of Catalyst 12.3 is still in the system which is causing errors.
I am attaching a guide that will fully remove the Catalyst from the system. Please follow it closely as it leads into the Windows Registry. The guide only mentions to delete ATI folders but you should delete any AMD folders that you see.

After a restart of the machine from completing the guide download the 12.2 Catalyst and install it. This should address the issue that you are having. I’d advise to stay on 12.2 unless it is required to go with a higher Catalyst version for example a game requires that specific driver.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx
I believe the information provided above will resolve your issue regarding unplayable games. If we do not hear otherwise, we will assume that the issue has been resolved and the service request will be permanently closed after 10 days. If more time is needed to evaluate my suggestion please let me know and I will ensure this service request remains open for you.
In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.
Best regards,
AMD Global Customer Care.

I then asked questions along the lines of if it would affect my data, if my screen would look strange or if it mattered if I had AMD CPU / Motherboard, this is the reply I got;

After completing the guide your screen may look funny but that is only because you no longer have video drivers. Once you install the catalyst 12.2 you will get your normal display again.

I would advise that you back up all your important documents first. You never know what can happen. This process will not delete any files other than the Catalyst drivers. Again it is a good idea to back up your important documents in case something happens.

If you are uncomfortable with this you should get one of your tech savvy friends to help you with the guide.

I believe that the information provided above will resolve your issue regarding corruption in games after updating the drivers.

Didn't really answer much on the AMD CPU / Mobo thing, but I got a similar guide to BradlyW's just with pictures.
So in that case I think its pretty much the same and I have a feeling I shouldn't do that.. <.<
Tho I do think that, if were to try this out, the logical thing for me to do would be use the first option thats called ''Uninstall Manager'' where I can (as far as I can tell without actually trying, but merely based on the under text of it) 'Choose individual AMD Software components to uninstall'.
And thereby just pick out the drivers and stuff for my graphics card and leave the other stuff alone.. ~_~

Oh well, I'll try and get help from some of my tech savvy friends on this xD
Don't think I should mess around in Windows even with a guide.

If anyone wants the picture guide I've uploaded it here;
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?lv5ml2q5q7mb87w

(I apologize if I sound like a complete noob but its the first time I have a sort of self-put-together computer and I dont understand yet how to fix things on it as I lack the knowledge.. <.< and on top of that I'm scared to mess around and don't want to end up ruining something or possibly making my computer impossible to use/function properly so.. yeah.. sorry!)

I don't know how many times I should copy/paste this :p
Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for contacting AMD

I understand that you installed 12.4 but the system information has not changed to 12.4 instead it states that it’s running Catalyst version 11.5. If I have missed any critical information please let me know as my suggestions may change.

It has been a noted issue that when you update to Catalyst 12.4 it does not change the system information. Our Catalyst engineering team is currently working on it and there should be a fix for it in 12.5. If you went through the 12.4 installation and it was all successful it means that the system is using the 12.4 drivers just that the system information did not change. If you do need a current version number in the system information to play games or to run a certain application my recommendation is to install 12.3 for now till 12.5 is released.

Windows 7 64bit previous drivers:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownl [...] sta64.aspx

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

Novoty

Honorable
May 29, 2012

I don't think I'll take the chance just yet..
When I first was about to try this with express uninstall states it will remove ALL AMD drivers/software and considering my processor at least is AMD I'm... well.. not risking it ~_~
If you do need a current version number in the system information to play games or to run a certain application my recommendation is to install 12.3 for now till 12.5 is released.
So we pretty much just wait then, or? :??:

Lateral

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Thanks!! I'm running an HD 3800 card and I had loads of problems with pixelated graphics from light sources in Diablo 3. I followed the guide above to uninstall all ATI/AMD components from my system (including removing them in the registry) and downgraded to 12.2. This solved all of my problems. Interestingly though, the Control Center still suggests that it is on 12.3. I suppose this information is stored elsewhere.