CPU Cooler Recommendations

eeyoreza

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Hi All,

Im looking for a bit of practical advice/assistance and from experience I generally see the most useful information provided by the Toms Hardware community. So I recently upgraded my old PC :D with the specs below:

CPU: Intel Ivy-Bridge i7-3770K
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
Memory: 4 x Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 4Gb Dimms
GPU: Asus GTX 670 Direct Cu-II (Still waiting on this, stupid South African Suppliers!)
SSD: 120gb ssdnow v+200

This is all going into my Antec P180 with an Antec Truepower Quattro 850w PSU. So... the crux my question relates to the CPU cooler. I originally ordered a Thermalright Silver Arrow, which they did not have stock. But after doing some reading I found that there is a clearance issue with ram and that cooler :(. So I am looking for an alternative which will not have any clearance issues that is both quiet and offers solid cooling performance.

So any recommendations? Thanks in advance for that assistance!

shadow71

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
I use the Coolermaster V8. No problem with RAM clearance with my Ripjaw heat spreaders, keeps my CPU at ~30C under low/medium loads (not a gamer), has adjustable fan. But it's huge. Looks like it would fit your case but get a second opinion first.

eeyoreza

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Thanks for the advice! I was thinking of a corsair H80, as the H100 might require some modifications to the case which I would rather not do. But I have heard some mixed reviews about the H80. I would swap out the, apparently rather loud stock fans and replace them with a pair of Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 rpms in a push/pull configuration. Which the general consensus shows to offer the best static pressure to noise level in a 120mm fan at that rpm. Although I am not entirely sold on the H80, because people either swear by the corsair H series or seem to hate it.

Just to contextualize my use case for the PC. I will primarily be gaming on this machine. However, I will also likely also use it for performing Matlab and the like computations. I am unlikely to overclock the PC as I am happy with the performance across the board and see no real need as it stands.

Any further advice regarding the applicability of the H series or other coolers would be greatly appreciated.

eeyoreza

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Just to conclude this discussion, I went with a thermalright hr-02, which I am planning to add two ty-150s in a push/pull configuration. I got the parts today and will be assembling within the next few days. Thanks for the assistance those who provided info.