Solved

CPU Cooler Recommendations

Hi All,

Im looking for a bit of practical advice/assistance and from experience I generally see the most useful information provided by the Toms Hardware community. So I recently upgraded my old PC :D with the specs below:

CPU: Intel Ivy-Bridge i7-3770K
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
Memory: 4 x Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 4Gb Dimms
GPU: Asus GTX 670 Direct Cu-II (Still waiting on this, stupid South African Suppliers!)
SSD: 120gb ssdnow v+200

This is all going into my Antec P180 with an Antec Truepower Quattro 850w PSU. So... the crux my question relates to the CPU cooler. I originally ordered a Thermalright Silver Arrow, which they did not have stock. But after doing some reading I found that there is a clearance issue with ram and that cooler :(. So I am looking for an alternative which will not have any clearance issues that is both quiet and offers solid cooling performance.

So any recommendations? Thanks in advance for that assistance!
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cooler recommendations
  1. I use the Coolermaster V8. No problem with RAM clearance with my Ripjaw heat spreaders, keeps my CPU at ~30C under low/medium loads (not a gamer), has adjustable fan. But it's huge. Looks like it would fit your case but get a second opinion first.
  2. Best answer
    I don't personally know any besides the H series from Corsair. Or the antec kuhler
  3. Thanks for the advice! I was thinking of a corsair H80, as the H100 might require some modifications to the case which I would rather not do. But I have heard some mixed reviews about the H80. I would swap out the, apparently rather loud stock fans and replace them with a pair of Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 rpms in a push/pull configuration. Which the general consensus shows to offer the best static pressure to noise level in a 120mm fan at that rpm. Although I am not entirely sold on the H80, because people either swear by the corsair H series or seem to hate it.

Just to contextualize my use case for the PC. I will primarily be gaming on this machine. However, I will also likely also use it for performing Matlab and the like computations. I am unlikely to overclock the PC as I am happy with the performance across the board and see no real need as it stands.

Any further advice regarding the applicability of the H series or other coolers would be greatly appreciated.
  4. Just to conclude this discussion, I went with a thermalright hr-02, which I am planning to add two ty-150s in a push/pull configuration. I got the parts today and will be assembling within the next few days. Thanks for the assistance those who provided info.
  5. Best answer selected by eeyoreZA.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Cooling CPUs Systems