My PC freezes randomly

Zothik

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Hi there,
I have a problem with my PC, where it freezes randomly when I am playing games. It happens about one time a day, and the time it happens is also random. I can play for 4 hours without anything happening or I can play for 5 minutes and it happens.
When my computer freezes the keyboard does not respond but I can still move my cursor. Also, the sound loops but I can still talk to my friends on Skype while my computer is still frozen. Then after about 4-5 minutes the freeze disappears and all the button combinations I tried (Ctrl+Alt+Del) suddenly occurs. Now my computer runs like normal and I can continue playing. Sometimes it throws me off the internet and sometimes it doesn't. :??: :??: :??: :??:

Here is a list over freezes with dates and times for the last two weeks or so:
June 10, 20:17 hrs.
June 11, 13:09 hrs.
June 12, 14:50 hrs.
June 14, 20:41 hrs.
June 17, 16:25 hrs.
June 19, 13:52 hrs.
June 24, 13:55 hrs.
June 24, 18:53 hrs.
June 28, 21:12 hrs.

These are my specs.:
Windows 7 64 Bit
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3,00 GHz processor
msi R6870 Hawk Graphics card
4 GB Kingston RAM
Corsair AX750 Gold Version PSU
Gigabyte G41MT-D3V MOBO.

What I have tried so far (Not chronologically listed):
Reinstall Windows
Buy the Gigabyte MOBO
Buy the PSU
Install all the newest drivers
Test my RAM
Use a vacuum cleaner to clean my PC

Thanks in advance.

Simon

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I know it sas that you've tested your ram, but...i still suspect that it's your problem. You have 64 bit version of Windows. Have you checked to see how much ram your system uses and how much is lfy unused? Have you consider up-grading to more than 4gb?

Zothik

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

While browsing the web and such my computer normally uses around 2,5 GB RAM and when playing it uses about 3,5 GB I think. Sometimes the RAM-load goes up to about 92% when playing.
I actually did consider up-grading to more than 4GB, but when I got the RAM they were faulty and I never got any new ones, I just send them back and got my money back :)
At this exact moment it has 250MB unused RAM, and I do only have my browser open.

rdc85

Honorable
Check your hdd health, and the temp of Proc and GPU........ (looks like your comp throtle up)

Is this happen when using spesific soft/game? (some bad coded one can cause sudden freeze)

Using 4gig of ram with w7 x64 is fine...

edit : check your background program, something is eating your ram... (that the cause of throtled)
do a virus/malware check

as comparison, i'm using w7 x64 with 4Gig ram..
Open firefox and Chrome with 12 tabs on fire fox...
Open picture viewer, video converter program..
Opening task manager, running dowloader
and listening/watching music videos Full Hd one... (dual monitor)

My ram usage just 1.9 Gig......... something is not right there......

Zothik

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

While idling my Proc. temp is 57 degrees, GPU 55 degrees and my HDD is 51 degrees.
This happens in all games (Diablo III, League of Legends, World of Warcraft, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Battlefield 3 and so on).
I will try doing a virus check and see what is eating my RAM.

rdc85

Honorable
Your temp is a little bit high u may wanna open the case to increase the airflow.... (what the ambient temp?)

Try to target temp, 40c for cpu, 45c for gpu, 35c for hdd when idle....... (Do not know Q9650 normal temp so someone welcomed to fill/correct me.)

but it seems the ram is the main problems... u may consider increase the ram if you cannot bring the ram usage to minimal.....

edit :

Try close some background program/ bloatware/ unused one.... it was to high in my opinion..
If u had strong cpu+gpu it maybe not noticeable but those programs eating your resources and your cpu power by working in background..

Zothik

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

I will try some of the things you suggested, thanks :)

Zothik

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Hi again,
The reason to the temperatures is because the big fan in the side of my computer doesn't work and I need to fix it. I have tried to close as many thins as I can while browsing and got my RAM-usage down to 1,6 GB (42% of my total RAM according to my Roccat Valo Keyboard).
I found out that the freezing doesn't only occur when playing games, because the last two days I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos and it froze while watching one of them.
The freeze happens the exact same way as when I play and it still occurs randomly. When it freezes the sound for the last second or so plays over and over again and the keyboard doesn't respond, but I can still move my cursor around. Then after about 4 minutes the freeze goes away and I can use my computer again (I do not need to force restart the PC).
It still seems like the games could sometimes "evoke" (is that the right word in this context? My main language is not english) the freeze, because I can sometimes be browsing for maybe an hour and then I start a game and it freezes after 2 minutes (still the same way).

rdc85

Honorable
If it not the ram usually it's the temp.... how the temp now?

edit: if your idle still high u will need open side panel of the case and blowing air to it directly (using small desk fan)

run some prime95/furmark stress test, look how the temps at stressed.. (be sure to stop when the temp goes to high or the desktop will crash)

If temp wasn't the issue.. well runs out of idea... (the only thing left is gpu)

Zothik

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I know this thread has been inactive for a long time, but I just wanted to say that I solved the problem.
The problem was a faulty harddisk. I bought a new harddisk and now the problem is gone.
Hope this helps other people as well!