Sign in with
Your question

Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk and Press Enter

Last response: in Systems
June 30, 2012 1:49:21 PM

I have a windows XP COMPAQ computer (it's not new - but it was working fine until last night).

I got a message when turning off my computer (doing a "shut down") - it's just a black screen and at the top are the words "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter". I have an XP and can't find my original "system disk" if I ever had one (it was installed when I got the computer so I didn't think to ask for the disk).

I got this immediately after trying to download "Secunia" (which I use along with some other products). I got a message from Secunia to download a new version and now I'm thinking it was a virus of some sort. The download froze my computer. What should I do?

I've looked online and find a lot of downloads to fix this - but I can't get anything except that black screen so I don't know how I can download something.

(I'm not sure about the sub category so I selected Prebuilt - I didn't build this - I bought it).
June 30, 2012 3:10:47 PM

Quote:
I got a message when turning off my computer (doing a "shut down" ) - it's just a black screen and at the top are the words "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter".

You got that message at shutdown or at startup?
June 30, 2012 3:11:25 PM

what happens when you turn it on?
Related resources
June 30, 2012 3:19:04 PM

From a cold start press F8 repeatably during start up to enter safe mode. If you can then select start windows using last known good configuration. You might check to see that the power and data connections btwn the Mb and the HDD are tight. If you get into safe mode you can also try a system restore if the first suggestion does not work. Check in your bios to see that the HDD designated as "C" drive is selected and the second device to boot from and that the CD drive is the first. While you are in the bios be sure the "C" drive is shown and recognized by correct name and model.
June 30, 2012 3:19:30 PM

anonymous1 said:
what happens when you turn it on?

It happens when I turn it off or on. When I turn it on (after having to manually shut down - i.e. shut it with the button instead of the "shut down" from the start menu) - it starts to boot up - then goes to the Boot failure message
June 30, 2012 4:08:27 PM

Dogsnake said:
From a cold start press F8 repeatably during start up to enter safe mode. If you can then select start windows using last known good configuration. You might check to see that the power and data connections btwn the Mb and the HDD are tight. If you get into safe mode you can also try a system restore if the first suggestion does not work. Check in your bios to see that the HDD designated as "C" drive is selected and the second device to boot from and that the CD drive is the first. While you are in the bios be sure the "C" drive is shown and recognized by correct name and model.

I couldn't get into Safe Mode using F8 as you suggested - but I clicked on F1 (set up) when booting up and it got me to the BIOS set up - so I think that did the same thing. HDD was designated as second boot device (with CD ROM as first). I tried switching them - but didn't help. So I put them back to the original order.

Do you have any other suggestions? I can't find my original XP diskette - but I am going to ask around to see if anyone I know has one I could borrow. But I'm afraid that when I load it, it may ask me questions (i.e. choices for set up) that I don't know the answer to. I've never loaded an operating system - I always get my computers all loaded and ready to go.

And thanks for your suggestions - I know they didn't work but at least it gave me something to check.
June 30, 2012 7:27:59 PM

It is possible that the HDD has failed or the windows installation has bee corrupted. If you get a valid XP disk, you can try and use it by selecting a repair installation. If you choose new, you will loose your current data and software. You might consider buying a new disk, installing a clean version of windows and then seeing if you can access the old disk. If you do this you will need to reinstall everything including all drivers and software. This may be proclamation for you.
July 1, 2012 1:11:49 AM

(1) download a bootable diagnostic. There are many. Google "ultimate boot disk". See if your current disk will pass the disk diagnostic on the download.
(2) If disk fails the diagnostic you can buy a new/better disk for under $100. Make sure your current PC supports sata drives. Then get the 3.5inch sata drive of the size you want. HP/Compaq will usually see you recovery media for around $10-20. Install the new disk, bott with the recovery media in the CD drive. New PC load. Then make sure you get everything current with windows update.
(3) If the disk passes the diagnostic then then download a stand-alone antivirus from Norten and run it. OPnce wahtever is one your disk is removed then download a windows repair disk and repair the master boot record. That may get you goign again, if not then get teh recovery media from Conpaq as above and reformat.

Post if you have q's.
!