Sign in with
Your question

Why is my screen turning black?

Last response: in Systems
June 30, 2012 3:57:07 PM

Hello guys,

So I have completed my build, after spending weeks researching, and getting some great advice from the forum. However now that everything is complete, the issues starts appearing.

Please have a look at my config below:

- Silverstone Sugo 02 F (2x80mm intake fans + 1x80mm exhaust fan)
- Motherboard: Micro ATX Gigabyte A75M-D2H
- CPU(APU): A6 3500 with stock heatsink/fan
- Optical: ASUS BC-12B1ST ATA
- Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB
- Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 1GB
- PSU: Antec 450W (non modulable I have loads of cables all around)

I turn on the computer, it boots up with no problem. I get to the desktop and **vlam** black screen. No beep from the motherboard, the fans do not change speed. So I think: computer fail, that happens every now and then. I reset it, everything goes fine for the 10 min I stared at the screen praying. I then relax, launch a movie and on the 30th minute **vlam** black screen. Another happened while trying to video chat on Skype later on.

It is my first build, therefore I am not really expert at troubleshooting. I researched forums and came upon recurrent explanations of that type of failure:
-PSU is not powerful enough for the GPU
-crammed motherboard
-overheated CPU

Finally, and I don't know if it is relevant, the failures only happened when external devices were connected via USB and/or on charge (I-pod, PS Eye, external HDD)
One important fact is that before I switched to the SG02 Micro ATX case from the Elite 370 mid tower, no failure had ever happened.

According to you, what could cause these failures?

More about : screen turning black

June 30, 2012 4:07:04 PM

Hi, reset CMOS.
m
l
June 30, 2012 4:20:31 PM

xtreme5 said:
Hi, reset CMOS.

You think it is a hardware compatibility issue? The Graphics card?
m
l
Related resources
June 30, 2012 4:29:26 PM

akangatta said:
You think it is a hardware compatibility issue? The Graphics card?

i don't think that would be an card issue, ok just check everything that you have mis-plugged accidentally also reseat CPU and RAM.
m
l
June 30, 2012 5:01:52 PM

xtreme5 said:
i don't think that would be an card issue, ok just check everything that you have mis-plugged accidentally also reseat CPU and RAM.

I opened it up. Check all connections: from PSU to MoBo and expansion. Reseated RAM. I did not touch the CPU though, I was extra cautious while installing it the first time.
I will keep testing the stability both with and without external devices plugged in, to try to identify a pattern. If it is not conclusive, I guess I will just reset the CMO and see if there is any improvement.

Thank you xtreme5.
m
l
June 30, 2012 5:05:04 PM

welcome, yes reset CMOS too.
m
l
!