Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Push Pin on Intel Broke

Last response: in CPUs
November 7, 2012 5:13:38 AM

I've recently reseated everything in my computer but when putting my stock intel hetasink back in one of the white parts of the push pin broke off, the other side of its still on and it seems to snap back in. Was wondering if this will be ok...I noticed everything I was doing on my computer was getting slower like gaming and basic stuff...but at the time I didnt know about thermal paste, which since learning about that I've stopped using that computer until I get some more tomorrow. So is it possible that it's just the lack of thermal paste that's the problem or is because even though the heatsink seems to lock in it's not really?

More about : push pin intel broke

Best solution

a c 109 à CPUs
November 7, 2012 5:24:28 AM

The broken push pin is causing your heatsink to not make full contact with your CPU. The slow-down you are experiencing is most likely due to thermal throttling. I would urge you to pick up an aftermarket CPU cooler ASAP to prevent any possible damages that may occur :) 

If you could tell me the max amount of money you are willing to spend on a CPU cooler, I'll be more than happy to make some recommendations.
November 7, 2012 5:56:11 AM

Not really sure how much they go for to be honest, but 30-40ish
Score
Related resources
a c 109 à CPUs
November 7, 2012 6:14:57 AM

In that case, I would recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 PLUS/EVO. They run for around $20-30 USD or around 15-25 quid :) 
Score
November 7, 2012 6:45:51 AM

Thanks, I'll look into tomorrow after I wake up
Score
November 7, 2012 6:46:16 AM

Best answer selected by arsenalx.
Score
!