Computer shuts off after heatsink upgrade.

ecnepsnai

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Hi there.

I just recently replaced the stock heatsink that came with the AMD FX-8150 with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and have been having a lot of issues with my computer ever since.

I first noticed the problem when I was playing Skyrim, the computer just shut off after an hour of gameplay. I tried again and it happened even faster. So I tried a prime95 test to see if it was overheating and yep, it sure was.

A large FFT test caused my computer to exceed the TJ Max (90c) within 10 minutes. So I double checked my installation and noticed I messed up the x-bracket. So I removed and applied some new thermal compound and fixed the bracket. But now it overheats in under 3 minutes! I don't know if I applied too much compound or I sill messed up my installation. Here is a picture of the CPU with the compound I applied:
s1fLJ.jpg

Solution
Your heatpipes look a bit scratched up, could you take a picture of the heatsink by itself? What computer case are you using and how are the fans positioned?
By the looks of it you made a bit of a mess; it even looks like there is some paste on the CPU pins. Clean it off carefully an be sure not to get paste anywhere other than the upper surface of the CPU.

The Hyper 212 has a fan, right? Did you check that it was plugged in and working?

Do you still get heating issues? The dot method for TIM applying on the CPU (as presented in the first video tutorial) is the best in my opinion. It's not necessary for the TIM to cover the entire surface of the CPU, when pressing the heatsink.

ecnepsnai

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

After 45 minutes my computer overheated and shut off. 2 out of the 8 workers halted due to hardware issues and the last recorded temperature in the log was 86.

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
I actually prefer the method of applying thermal compound that ecnepsnai initially used. Applying a thin layer evenly all over the top of the CPU cover with an old credit card. But I've only used Arctic Silver 5 which is VERY thick and this is easy to do. I've never had excess spill over the edges and I've never had high temps.

ecnepsnai

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Here is the Prime95 log with the error messages:

[cpp][Wed Nov 07 12:19:03 2012]
FATAL ERROR: Final result was 00000000, expected: EEEC1181.
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
[Wed Nov 07 12:25:38 2012]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
[Wed Nov 07 12:37:36 2012]
Self-test 128K passed!
Self-test 128K passed!
Self-test 128K passed!
Self-test 128K passed!
Self-test 128K passed!
Self-test 128K passed![/cpp]

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
You do have a fan on the heat sink and running on high, don't you?

Just test it w/ the case side off to make sure that the fan is properly spinning on the cooler. It will NOT stay cool w/o a attached and PUSHING air through it. (Make sure the fan is mounted to blow air through it, as opposed to pulling the air)

ecnepsnai

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

I just double checked, yes the CPU fan is running and both case fans are going as well.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo was what I had tried when I first got my FX-8120 but could never get the temps stable no matter what I did. After messing with it a few days I bit the bullet and order a XSPC 750 RS240 water cooling kit and have not looked back since. My idle temps went to 29c and full load at 35c. Even with having my 120mm fans in a push/pull they are still quieter than when the stock fan would ramp up. I know that from the reviews the Hyper 212 Evo is a good heatsink but I just could not get it where I wanted it.

ecnepsnai

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

I was using a smaller mid case that restricted a lot of airflow. I upgraded my case to a full-sized XL-ATX and reconfigured the fans.