Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Many questions - Mostly about the CPU~

Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 7, 2012 9:09:13 AM

Ok I have a few questions, hopefully I will not sound to...nubie.

Atm I have a AMD Phenom II X4 B55 Processor (3 core, I unlocked one) and its originally 3 GHZ and I oced it to 3.4 GHZ

I am thinking of going for an Intel I5 ( I am a gamer, I love the total war series and I do love to do multiple things at once, looking forward to Rome 2 Total war).

So with the Intel I5, I know I will need a new motherboard for cross fire and SCL? or...something along those lines...wondering what the best motherboard would be to get for an Intel I5, I think my current motherboard wont work. (Would hope its not TO expensive).

2. For my RAM, it has to be EXACTLY the same sticks in order to upgrade from 4 GB to 8 GB right? (I am pretty sure its a yeah, just want a confirmation)

.3. Any nice, not to expensive, towers in mind? Mine currently has a pretty nice size fan in the front, and in the back, and 2 small ones on the side.

Any feed back, any URLs or anything would be appreciated.

My PC specs are the following:

Nivdia 580 (Expensive lol)
4 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Phenom II x4 Processor B55
Windows 7
64 Bit

RAM: 4 FB

More about : questions cpu

a c 202 à CPUs
a c 171 V Motherboard
November 7, 2012 9:20:24 AM

OK let me start by saying that no. You will not be able to use your mobo as they use totally different socket and chipset.
Yes the I5 3570K is an awesome CPU but quiet expensive if you are used to AMD pricing.

I do not think you necessarily need an Xfire or SLI motherboard as single GPU's are good enough for 99% of the population .

What graphics card do you currently use?

You will be able to use the DDR3 RAM again(althoug it seems odd that you would have DDR3 RAM with that processor??), but usually I would just say get higher spec better RAM as it is the cheapest and easiest thing to improve on a PC.
Score
0
November 7, 2012 9:26:14 AM

lentyski said:
Ok I have a few questions, hopefully I will not sound to...nubie.

Atm I have a AMD Phenom II X4 B55 Processor (3 core, I unlocked one) and its originally 3 GHZ and I oced it to 3.4 GHZ

I am thinking of going for an Intel I5 ( I am a gamer, I love the total war series and I do love to do multiple things at once, looking forward to Rome 2 Total war).

So with the Intel I5, I know I will need a new motherboard for cross fire and SCL? or...something along those lines...wondering what the best motherboard would be to get for an Intel I5, I think my current motherboard wont work. (Would hope its not TO expensive).

2. For my RAM, it has to be EXACTLY the same sticks in order to upgrade from 4 GB to 8 GB right? (I am pretty sure its a yeah, just want a confirmation)

.3. Any nice, not to expensive, towers in mind? Mine currently has a pretty nice size fan in the front, and in the back, and 2 small ones on the side.

Any feed back, any URLs or anything would be appreciated.

My PC specs are the following:

Nivdia 580 (Expensive lol)
4 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Phenom II x4 Processor B55
Windows 7
64 Bit

RAM: 4 FB


whats your budget?
Score
0
Related resources
November 7, 2012 9:29:55 AM

Oh you didn't see my Specs at the bottom? xD I have a Nivdia GeForce GTX 580.

When you say "Although it seems odd that you would have a DDR 3 RAm with that processor" I amma take a wild guess and say that my processor is pretty crappy? lol

Cause if I am not mistaken, there isn't a DDR4 is there? Or am I behind with my RAM? DDR wise o.0..

Yeah...Iv always heard that....even if you have an amazing graphics card but ur CPU kinda....is lacking...you won't get the full efforts of your PC..

I didn't expect my CPU to be that old lol....and yeah I know the Intel I5 is around...230$ or something?
Score
0
November 7, 2012 9:31:06 AM

tigeryeow said:
whats your budget?



Hmm...its a little hard to say? I am not entirely sure if I need to REALLY upgrade my Tower...

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/1733146166608063...

Thats my tower, but with a 850W PSU.

and if I wanna upgrade my RAM, I might just upgrade it from 4 to 6...but I still am not sure ...

Hmm....budget...I wanna say between 300-400.
Score
0
November 7, 2012 9:38:12 AM

lentyski said:
Hmm...its a little hard to say? I am not entirely sure if I need to REALLY upgrade my Tower...

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/1733146166608063...

Thats my tower, but with a 850W PSU.

and if I wanna upgrade my RAM, I might just upgrade it from 4 to 6...but I still am not sure ...

Hmm....budget...I wanna say between 300-400.


he says it was odd because your cpu was suppose to run on ddr2
there is currently no ddr4
Score
0
November 7, 2012 9:40:27 AM

if you are to chose an i5 will you ant to ovrclock?
Score
0
November 7, 2012 9:41:47 AM

Well an Intel I5 seems so amazing that I shouldn't need to over clock right? lol

I mean, if it makes a difference, sure...

Although, I also need to add in a fan for the CPU besides a stock (I heard those are not to good)...so gotta take that into account.
Score
0
a c 202 à CPUs
a c 171 V Motherboard
November 7, 2012 9:49:28 AM

It can make a huge difference by overclocking. I have my i5 3570k running at a constant 4.6GHz(stock 3.4 without turbo). But only in large multiplayer map in bf3 and skyrim and cpu intensive games do you see the difference. es you would need an aftermarket cooler. A very common one is coolermaster evo 212. Give me a min and i will see what i can put together for 400dollars.
Score
0
November 7, 2012 9:53:03 AM

Thank you tiger I will check that stuff out! thank you novuake! I am looking forward to your list as well.

This community is awesome~

Is it worth upgrading from 4GB to 6GB? (I think it will because I enjoy using virtual machines and I believe their based mostly on RAM)

RAM is actually not to expensive, but if its not in my budget right now, I wont invest.

Btw I actually have a strange....issue and I think it "might" be with my CPU, ill ask that in a min or 2~
Score
0
November 7, 2012 9:55:50 AM

get 8gb since ram is so cheap (my personal preference 6 is kinda odd)
Score
0
November 7, 2012 10:01:44 AM

Okiedokie...

Now...my PC is personally built, I bought all the components at the time and my sisters ex bf put it together for me lol...I am into computers but I am not a real expert, I am sure I coulda done it myself but I didnt wanna make any mistakes, since I spent a bit of cash.

I am appreciating the list and keep them coming if you want / can!

This is...I think this is effecting my CPU or its my sound...

I have MSN Messenger, and a lot of times when I plug in the jack in the front of my tower or un plug one in the back and plug in my mic etc...it always resets my MSN, its as if every time I plug it in or un plug it...MSN feels the need to reset itself...(When I say jack I mean my head phones and my headset).

and one time my little brother plugged in his MP3 player to charge in the front of the USB port and what ended up happening was that the PC reseted itself once he plugged it in. This is pretty rare....its not like it happens consantly and it happens once in a blue moon, well the USB part, but the MSN one seems consant and I am thinking it might be the sound...but hte USB might be the CPU.

I say it might be the CPU is because once the computer restarted itself...all of a sudden instead of 3 cores being unlocked, it unlocked basically ALL of the Cores lol...which created CPU errors (Had to go back inside and re adjust some stuff)..

Idk just thought that was pretty weird..
Score
0
a c 202 à CPUs
a c 171 V Motherboard
November 7, 2012 10:04:02 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Much better clocking board and better build quality. I have this board.

As for RAM, get 4GB or 8GB, if you do not get 2 chips of the same size(1GB+1GB, 2GB+2GB, 4GB+4GB), you will not be running duel channel. Costing you some performance.
Score
0
November 7, 2012 10:06:08 AM

I would be doing 2 GB of RAM per stick Nova.
Atm I have 2 sticks with 2 GB in each one, so I would presume if I go up to 8 GB, it would be 2 x 4 sticks...

Thats if it fits in my budget xD.

My top priorities from greatest to least are the following:
CPU
Motherboard
CPU FAN
RAM
Tower (If I even need a new tower)
Score
0
November 7, 2012 10:07:03 AM

Novuake said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Much better clocking board and better build quality. I have this board.

As for RAM, get 4GB or 8GB, if you do not get 2 chips of the same size(1GB+1GB, 2GB+2GB, 4GB+4GB), you will not be running duel channel. Costing you some performance.


Oh I like it, and I like the price, not to bad! I was expecting it to be a bit more expensive lol.
Score
0
a c 202 à CPUs
a c 171 V Motherboard
November 7, 2012 10:07:48 AM

lentyski said:
Okiedokie...

Now...my PC is personally built, I bought all the components at the time and my sisters ex bf put it together for me lol...I am into computers but I am not a real expert, I am sure I coulda done it myself but I didnt wanna make any mistakes, since I spent a bit of cash.

I am appreciating the list and keep them coming if you want / can!

This is...I think this is effecting my CPU or its my sound...

I have MSN Messenger, and a lot of times when I plug in the jack in the front of my tower or un plug one in the back and plug in my mic etc...it always resets my MSN, its as if every time I plug it in or un plug it...MSN feels the need to reset itself...(When I say jack I mean my head phones and my headset).

and one time my little brother plugged in his MP3 player to charge in the front of the USB port and what ended up happening was that the PC reseted itself once he plugged it in. This is pretty rare....its not like it happens consantly and it happens once in a blue moon, well the USB part, but the MSN one seems consant and I am thinking it might be the sound...but hte USB might be the CPU.

I say it might be the CPU is because once the computer restarted itself...all of a sudden instead of 3 cores being unlocked, it unlocked basically ALL of the Cores lol...which created CPU errors (Had to go back inside and re adjust some stuff)..

Idk just thought that was pretty weird..


Sounds more like you have a problem with your board. Or it could just be as simple as your CMOS battery is flat. Turn off and unplug your pc, press the power button to discharge your PSU, then leave it a few min, turn it back on and see if your time is out. That will give you an idea. Or check you bios and see if your settings were kept.

You may also have damaged your CMOS by unlocking the extra core. Or it may just be old and overworked.
Score
0
November 7, 2012 10:11:54 AM

Ah ok Nova, so go in the back...switch the little switch lol, ill do that xD.

I know people say OCing is dangerous and I know I am not an expert...but what I did was...I gave it a little bit more voltage, and slowly bumped up the MHZ and unlocked X amount of Cores to see which was stable... I'm pretty sure thats how normal people OC, hopefully I am not mistaken.

I also hear you can OC your graphics card, but I have a pretty strong Nvida 580 GTX, I just think my PC is being drained down by my CPU =/
Score
0
a c 202 à CPUs
a c 171 V Motherboard
November 7, 2012 10:15:54 AM

lentyski said:
I would be doing 2 GB of RAM per stick Nova.
Atm I have 2 sticks with 2 GB in each one, so I would presume if I go up to 8 GB, it would be 2 x 4 sticks...

Thats if it fits in my budget xD.

My top priorities from greatest to least are the following:
CPU
Motherboard
CPU FAN
RAM
Tower (If I even need a new tower)


Ok so then biggest priority CPU @ 198, motherboard @ 115 = 313.

You will probably need RAM as well. Sure you have DDR2...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Really good RAM that's damn cheap...

So 313 + 50 = 363

Not too bad and you have a kickass system. You don't need a new tower. Old one will do fine.

Optional cooler :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

30 Dollars extra and you can overclock.
Score
0
November 7, 2012 10:17:48 AM

Wait, I don't have DDR2 I have DDR3 Ram o.0

I made sure to get DDR3 when I first originally built my PC about 2 years ago lol

Oi I may have miss understood you about the DDR2 lol sorry...I am checking out what you linked!

And thanks :D !

Dam graphics card was 499$ lol...

I know in technology terms...stuff gets outdated quickly, I do not wanna be to late to jump on the Intel I5 wagon, it indeed seems like an awesome CPU. Might sound stupid but...I have always been a graphical kinda guy, so I am really hoping to be able to pull out amazing settings with Rome 2 Total War~ As well as just speed in general.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 202 à CPUs
a c 171 V Motherboard
November 7, 2012 10:25:01 AM

lentyski said:
Ah ok Nova, so go in the back...switch the little switch lol, ill do that xD.

I know people say OCing is dangerous and I know I am not an expert...but what I did was...I gave it a little bit more voltage, and slowly bumped up the MHZ and unlocked X amount of Cores to see which was stable... I'm pretty sure thats how normal people OC, hopefully I am not mistaken.

I also hear you can OC your graphics card, but I have a pretty strong Nvida 580 GTX, I just think my PC is being drained down by my CPU =/


It definitely is a HUGE bottleneck. The graphics card can not perform with your CPU.

As for overclocking, you ALWAYS run a risk, that is why its important to get the best quality parts possible. But sometimes you buy a CPU thats supposed to be identical to any other I5 3570K for example but it just will not overclock as much, it may run hotter or it may fail alot sooner than someone else's that have clocked it the same.

The same goes for your board and processor, maybe by overclocking you have inadvertently dropped the lifetime on it.

I trust ASrock Extreme4 is a well-built board, they used better capacitors to build than normal. So don't worry to much about overclocking if you have bought reliable products, if you are not sure, rather just leave it at stock. Its not NECCESARY to overclock anyway. But it is nice to have the option in case you need the extra boost.
Share
a c 202 à CPUs
a c 171 V Motherboard
November 7, 2012 10:26:11 AM

lentyski said:
Wait, I don't have DDR2 I have DDR3 Ram o.0

I made sure to get DDR3 when I first originally built my PC about 2 years ago lol

Oi I may have miss understood you about the DDR2 lol sorry...I am checking out what you linked!

And thanks :D !

Dam graphics card was 499$ lol...

I know in technology terms...stuff gets outdated quickly, I do not wanna be to late to jump on the Intel I5 wagon, it indeed seems like an awesome CPU. Might sound stupid but...I have always been a graphical kinda guy, so I am really hoping to be able to pull out amazing settings with Rome 2 Total War~ As well as just speed in general.


Your Graphics card is still damn good! With an I5 and that you will max any game at HD resolution.
Do not overclock that card by the way. Dont need it.
Score
0
November 7, 2012 10:28:07 AM

Tbh Nov...I noticed a difference (When I was running my online game and a few other things) from 3 Cores 3 MHZ to 3 Cores 3.4 MHZ, so I am assume that an Intel I5 3570k will work very well!~

Iv heard good things about Intel I5 2500k, Imma take a wild guess and say the one you are suggesting is better? xD...wonder what the difference in all of that is...

So in your eyes, do you not see it necessary to overclock an Intel I5?
Score
0
November 7, 2012 10:31:20 AM

Do you think once I upgrade...these MSN issues and such what will go away? I hope so lol...

Man I also need to reinstall my windows 7, got so much pointless stuff on my PC and I hear its good to do a fresh re boot here, there..

I still can't believe I been bottle-necking my graphics card this entire time, I feel like an idiot -.-

See what I ORIGINALLY had with my CPU was an HD 5700, which probably WENT with that CPU...but I did not have the money to re upgrade my CPU cause it was not just the CPU that I had to ugprade, but the motherboard as well.
Score
0
a c 202 à CPUs
a c 171 V Motherboard
November 7, 2012 10:32:08 AM

lentyski said:
Tbh Nov...I noticed a difference (When I was running my online game and a few other things) from 3 Cores 3 MHZ to 3 Cores 3.4 MHZ, so I am assume that an Intel I5 3570k will work very well!~

Iv heard good things about Intel I5 2500k, Imma take a wild guess and say the one you are suggesting is better? xD...wonder what the difference in all of that is...

So in your eyes, do you not see it necessary to overclock an Intel I5?


Correct, it is not necesary. (but fun!) lol

The 2500K is previous generation, it does not perform as well as the 3570K at stock, but it can reach a much higher overclock as it runs cooler than the newer 3570K. Also things to consider is with the 3570K you get native PCI-e 3.0 and USB 3 support.

Youa re not extremely into overclocking so for you the best choice is a 3570K.
Score
0
November 7, 2012 10:35:53 AM

Novuake said:
Correct, it is not necesary. (but fun!) lol

The 2500K is previous generation, it does not perform as well as the 3570K at stock, but it can reach a much higher overclock as it runs cooler than the newer 3570K. Also things to consider is with the 3570K you get native PCI-e 3.0 and USB 3 support.

Youa re not extremely into overclocking so for you the best choice is a 3570K.


Ok awesome! I have no idea what native PCI-e 3.0 is, but sounds like some good stuff haha... Ever heard of a cooling system using mineral water? (Not trying to get off the topic of CPU lol, I just have a lot of questions sorry xD).

I was in my um...computer class and my teacher showed us PCs submerged in fish like tanks lol and the PC stayed cool due to the mineral water, was pretty impressive.

I do not plan on doing that for a long time lol...

I am sure the 850W PSU will be alright with my graphics card + all this new stuff I presume?
Score
0
a c 202 à CPUs
a c 171 V Motherboard
November 7, 2012 10:42:41 AM

lentyski said:
Ok awesome! I have no idea what native PCI-e 3.0 is, but sounds like some good stuff haha... Ever heard of a cooling system using mineral water? (Not trying to get off the topic of CPU lol, I just have a lot of questions sorry xD).

I was in my um...computer class and my teacher showed us PCs submerged in fish like tanks lol and the PC stayed cool due to the mineral water, was pretty impressive.

I do not plan on doing that for a long time lol...

I am sure the 850W PSU will be alright with my graphics card + all this new stuff I presume?


Yes your 850W PSU will be fine if it is in good condition.

I have seen PC's submerged in oil/solution, similar to mineral water, but it needs to be a solution with absolutely 0 salts in, salt is what makes water conductive. And if the water conducts electricity, the PC will short out and fry...
Score
0
November 7, 2012 10:48:29 AM

Yeah I don't plan on doing that...lol

Iv noticed with my PC...it slowllllyyy starts to more and more slowly load...meaning loading into the desktop after the Username login...and then I have to give it a few mins...and I know it wont snap up right away and load everything...cause I'm sure it depends on how many start up programs I have...

But I wonder what would help it more, a faster CPU or just that I have to much on my PC as it is...

If you could do a %% of importance Nova, where would you put the graphics card / cpu / RAM / and if there is anything else
Score
0
a c 202 à CPUs
a c 171 V Motherboard
November 7, 2012 10:58:30 AM

lentyski said:
Yeah I don't plan on doing that...lol

Iv noticed with my PC...it slowllllyyy starts to more and more slowly load...meaning loading into the desktop after the Username login...and then I have to give it a few mins...and I know it wont snap up right away and load everything...cause I'm sure it depends on how many start up programs I have...

But I wonder what would help it more, a faster CPU or just that I have to much on my PC as it is...

If you could do a %% of importance Nova, where would you put the graphics card / cpu / RAM / and if there is anything else


The aim is to create as few bottlenecks as possible in a system, so all are important. Starting with a good CPU and RAM can help a lot to future proof a computer.

CPU the RAM then GPU.

Loading times depend on a few things, from startup programs to hard drive speed(SSD are extremely good at loads but do not benefit gaming much), could also depends on your windows installation, doing a clean install from time to time helps a lot.

An SSD can become a priority if you have the money for it later on, but you need to get your system up to date first.
Score
0
November 7, 2012 11:03:13 AM

Ohhh ok gotcha!

Ok SO!!! I think....this is what I might be looking at budget wise and what I might be getting.

So I guess ill fully be replacing my already 4 GB of ram with 2 new sticks?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Making my PC now 8 GB

Then the CPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Then the motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and then the fan for the CPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

How does all of this look Nova?
Score
0
a c 202 à CPUs
a c 171 V Motherboard
November 7, 2012 11:07:09 AM

If that's is within your budget, then yes that's a good build.

What RAM do you have at the moment? Need an exact model? Maybe it is good enough.
Score
0
November 7, 2012 11:13:20 AM

Well I have 4 GBs, could buy 2 more sticks of the same GB instead of 4 new ones....its um....hmm...how do I find that out without having to look inside? lol

I mean I go to dxdiag.exe but it just says I have 4 GB of RAM...does not give the model or anything.
Score
0
November 7, 2012 11:21:31 AM

Oh I got that already :D ...checking...

Type: DDR3
Size:4096 MBytes
Channels#: Single
NB Frequency 2.1k MHZ
DC Mode - Nothing is there.
Score
0
a c 202 à CPUs
a c 171 V Motherboard
November 7, 2012 11:26:06 AM

lentyski said:
Oh I got that already :D ...checking...

Type: DDR3
Size:4096 MBytes
Channels#: Single
NB Frequency 2.1k MHZ
DC Mode - Nothing is there.


lol wait maufacturer and speed should be in the SPD tab.
Score
0
November 7, 2012 11:29:41 AM

Oh..duh LOOL... woops...

Ok Um here we go~

Manufacturer: Kingston
Serial Number: 0E30BFB1
Max Bandwidth: PC3-10700 (667 MHz)

Hopefully thats the info you need~
Score
0
a c 202 à CPUs
a c 171 V Motherboard
November 7, 2012 11:32:09 AM

Yes that is. OK so you have 1333 MHz RAM, not to bad. But I would say upgrade it if you have the money.
Score
0
November 7, 2012 11:40:28 AM

Gotcha~ Do you know of the Total War series Novuake? Their graphics...are...I love em lol..
Score
0
a c 202 à CPUs
a c 171 V Motherboard
November 7, 2012 12:14:51 PM

lentyski said:
Gotcha~ Do you know of the Total War series Novuake? Their graphics...are...I love em lol..

I prefer age of empires 3 as strategic games but total war is pretty good too.
Score
0
November 7, 2012 12:28:15 PM

Ahh ok, well thank you for all your help and advice to everyone who helped, but especially to you novuake!

I do appreciate it!
Score
0
a c 202 à CPUs
a c 171 V Motherboard
November 7, 2012 12:51:07 PM

lentyski said:
Ahh ok, well thank you for all your help and advice to everyone who helped, but especially to you novuake!

I do appreciate it!

Always a pleasure. Enjoy the new PC. Let me when you up for getting an SSD.
Score
0
November 7, 2012 11:27:19 PM

Novuake said:
Always a pleasure. Enjoy the new PC. Let me when you up for getting an SSD.


Whats that? =O lol xD
Score
0
November 18, 2012 4:09:05 AM

Best answer selected by lentyski.
Score
0
!