Many questions - Mostly about the CPU~

Status
Not open for further replies.

lentyski

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Ok I have a few questions, hopefully I will not sound to...nubie.

Atm I have a AMD Phenom II X4 B55 Processor (3 core, I unlocked one) and its originally 3 GHZ and I oced it to 3.4 GHZ

I am thinking of going for an Intel I5 ( I am a gamer, I love the total war series and I do love to do multiple things at once, looking forward to Rome 2 Total war).

So with the Intel I5, I know I will need a new motherboard for cross fire and SCL? or...something along those lines...wondering what the best motherboard would be to get for an Intel I5, I think my current motherboard wont work. (Would hope its not TO expensive).

2. For my RAM, it has to be EXACTLY the same sticks in order to upgrade from 4 GB to 8 GB right? (I am pretty sure its a yeah, just want a confirmation)

.3. Any nice, not to expensive, towers in mind? Mine currently has a pretty nice size fan in the front, and in the back, and 2 small ones on the side.

Any feed back, any URLs or anything would be appreciated.

My PC specs are the following:

Nivdia 580 (Expensive lol)
4 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Phenom II x4 Processor B55
Windows 7
64 Bit

RAM: 4 FB

Solution

It definitely is a HUGE bottleneck. The graphics card can not perform with your CPU.

As for overclocking, you ALWAYS run a risk, that is why its important to get the best quality parts possible. But sometimes you buy a CPU thats...
OK let me start by saying that no. You will not be able to use your mobo as they use totally different socket and chipset.
Yes the I5 3570K is an awesome CPU but quiet expensive if you are used to AMD pricing.

I do not think you necessarily need an Xfire or SLI motherboard as single GPU's are good enough for 99% of the population .

What graphics card do you currently use?

You will be able to use the DDR3 RAM again(althoug it seems odd that you would have DDR3 RAM with that processor??), but usually I would just say get higher spec better RAM as it is the cheapest and easiest thing to improve on a PC.

tigeryeow

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

whats your budget?

lentyski

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Oh you didn't see my Specs at the bottom? xD I have a Nivdia GeForce GTX 580.

When you say "Although it seems odd that you would have a DDR 3 RAm with that processor" I amma take a wild guess and say that my processor is pretty crappy? lol

Cause if I am not mistaken, there isn't a DDR4 is there? Or am I behind with my RAM? DDR wise o.0..

Yeah...Iv always heard that....even if you have an amazing graphics card but ur CPU kinda....is lacking...you won't get the full efforts of your PC..

I didn't expect my CPU to be that old lol....and yeah I know the Intel I5 is around...230$ or something?

lentyski

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

Hmm...its a little hard to say? I am not entirely sure if I need to REALLY upgrade my Tower...

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/17331461666080638415?q=Smilodon%20raidmax%20tower&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=946618dc30a8941&bpcl=37643589&biw=946&bih=920&tch=1&ech=1&psi=aUaaULuLG5O1iALV7ID4Aw.1352287847796.5&sa=X&ei=fEaaUNSLOc_wiQLMh4G4Cw&ved=0CFoQ8wIwAQ

Thats my tower, but with a 850W PSU.

and if I wanna upgrade my RAM, I might just upgrade it from 4 to 6...but I still am not sure ...

Hmm....budget...I wanna say between 300-400.

tigeryeow

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

he says it was odd because your cpu was suppose to run on ddr2
there is currently no ddr4

lentyski

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Well an Intel I5 seems so amazing that I shouldn't need to over clock right? lol

I mean, if it makes a difference, sure...

Although, I also need to add in a fan for the CPU besides a stock (I heard those are not to good)...so gotta take that into account.

It can make a huge difference by overclocking. I have my i5 3570k running at a constant 4.6GHz(stock 3.4 without turbo). But only in large multiplayer map in bf3 and skyrim and cpu intensive games do you see the difference. es you would need an aftermarket cooler. A very common one is coolermaster evo 212. Give me a min and i will see what i can put together for 400dollars.

lentyski

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Thank you tiger I will check that stuff out! thank you novuake! I am looking forward to your list as well.

This community is awesome~

Is it worth upgrading from 4GB to 6GB? (I think it will because I enjoy using virtual machines and I believe their based mostly on RAM)

RAM is actually not to expensive, but if its not in my budget right now, I wont invest.

Btw I actually have a strange....issue and I think it "might" be with my CPU, ill ask that in a min or 2~

lentyski

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Okiedokie...

Now...my PC is personally built, I bought all the components at the time and my sisters ex bf put it together for me lol...I am into computers but I am not a real expert, I am sure I coulda done it myself but I didnt wanna make any mistakes, since I spent a bit of cash.

I am appreciating the list and keep them coming if you want / can!

This is...I think this is effecting my CPU or its my sound...

I have MSN Messenger, and a lot of times when I plug in the jack in the front of my tower or un plug one in the back and plug in my mic etc...it always resets my MSN, its as if every time I plug it in or un plug it...MSN feels the need to reset itself...(When I say jack I mean my head phones and my headset).

and one time my little brother plugged in his MP3 player to charge in the front of the USB port and what ended up happening was that the PC reseted itself once he plugged it in. This is pretty rare....its not like it happens consantly and it happens once in a blue moon, well the USB part, but the MSN one seems consant and I am thinking it might be the sound...but hte USB might be the CPU.

I say it might be the CPU is because once the computer restarted itself...all of a sudden instead of 3 cores being unlocked, it unlocked basically ALL of the Cores lol...which created CPU errors (Had to go back inside and re adjust some stuff)..

Idk just thought that was pretty weird..

lentyski

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I would be doing 2 GB of RAM per stick Nova.
Atm I have 2 sticks with 2 GB in each one, so I would presume if I go up to 8 GB, it would be 2 x 4 sticks...

Thats if it fits in my budget xD.

My top priorities from greatest to least are the following:
CPU
Motherboard
CPU FAN
RAM
Tower (If I even need a new tower)

lentyski

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

Oh I like it, and I like the price, not to bad! I was expecting it to be a bit more expensive lol.

Sounds more like you have a problem with your board. Or it could just be as simple as your CMOS battery is flat. Turn off and unplug your pc, press the power button to discharge your PSU, then leave it a few min, turn it back on and see if your time is out. That will give you an idea. Or check you bios and see if your settings were kept.

You may also have damaged your CMOS by unlocking the extra core. Or it may just be old and overworked.

lentyski

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Ah ok Nova, so go in the back...switch the little switch lol, ill do that xD.

I know people say OCing is dangerous and I know I am not an expert...but what I did was...I gave it a little bit more voltage, and slowly bumped up the MHZ and unlocked X amount of Cores to see which was stable... I'm pretty sure thats how normal people OC, hopefully I am not mistaken.

I also hear you can OC your graphics card, but I have a pretty strong Nvida 580 GTX, I just think my PC is being drained down by my CPU =/

Ok so then biggest priority CPU @ 198, motherboard @ 115 = 313.

You will probably need RAM as well. Sure you have DDR2...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460

Really good RAM that's damn cheap...

So 313 + 50 = 363

Not too bad and you have a kickass system. You don't need a new tower. Old one will do fine.

Optional cooler :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

30 Dollars extra and you can overclock.

lentyski

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Wait, I don't have DDR2 I have DDR3 Ram o.0

I made sure to get DDR3 when I first originally built my PC about 2 years ago lol

Oi I may have miss understood you about the DDR2 lol sorry...I am checking out what you linked!

And thanks :D!

Dam graphics card was 499$ lol...

I know in technology terms...stuff gets outdated quickly, I do not wanna be to late to jump on the Intel I5 wagon, it indeed seems like an awesome CPU. Might sound stupid but...I have always been a graphical kinda guy, so I am really hoping to be able to pull out amazing settings with Rome 2 Total War~ As well as just speed in general.

It definitely is a HUGE bottleneck. The graphics card can not perform with your CPU.

As for overclocking, you ALWAYS run a risk, that is why its important to get the best quality parts possible. But sometimes you buy a CPU thats supposed to be identical to any other I5 3570K for example but it just will not overclock as much, it may run hotter or it may fail alot sooner than someone else's that have clocked it the same.

The same goes for your board and processor, maybe by overclocking you have inadvertently dropped the lifetime on it.

I trust ASrock Extreme4 is a well-built board, they used better capacitors to build than normal. So don't worry to much about overclocking if you have bought reliable products, if you are not sure, rather just leave it at stock. Its not NECCESARY to overclock anyway. But it is nice to have the option in case you need the extra boost.

Solution

Your Graphics card is still damn good! With an I5 and that you will max any game at HD resolution.
Do not overclock that card by the way. Dont need it.

lentyski

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Tbh Nov...I noticed a difference (When I was running my online game and a few other things) from 3 Cores 3 MHZ to 3 Cores 3.4 MHZ, so I am assume that an Intel I5 3570k will work very well!~

Iv heard good things about Intel I5 2500k, Imma take a wild guess and say the one you are suggesting is better? xD...wonder what the difference in all of that is...

So in your eyes, do you not see it necessary to overclock an Intel I5?

lentyski

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Do you think once I upgrade...these MSN issues and such what will go away? I hope so lol...

Man I also need to reinstall my windows 7, got so much pointless stuff on my PC and I hear its good to do a fresh re boot here, there..

I still can't believe I been bottle-necking my graphics card this entire time, I feel like an idiot -.-

See what I ORIGINALLY had with my CPU was an HD 5700, which probably WENT with that CPU...but I did not have the money to re upgrade my CPU cause it was not just the CPU that I had to ugprade, but the motherboard as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS