Closed Solved

My cpu

hi my cpu is a amd althon II x2 260 3.2 would a gtx 560 bottleneck
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. Yup. How much of a bottleneck depends on what games/settings/resolution but a GTX 560 will not be able to stretch its legs on such a low power CPU.
  2. ^+1
    You might get away with a 550 ti and/or a 6770. Nothing over those two cards. Good luck to you.
  3. I agree with the above posters. But...
    ...a GTX 560 working with a weak processor is still better than a lesser card working with a weak processor. And, who knows? Maybe you will be able to upgrade your CPU next and make full use of the faster GPU. Gaming is mainly about the Graphics Card.
  4. the games i want 2 play is gta 4 and bf3 and my res is 1280 by 1024
  5. Best answer
    skitz9417 said:
    the games i want 2 play is gta 4 and bf3 and my res is 1280 by 1024

    Well, then you'll definitely have a bottleneck issue.
    I'd say just stick to a HD 6770 or a GTX 550 Ti, like the other members said, and then save up some money to get a better motherboard and CPU.
  6. i have one more qusetion 2 ask would a hd 6970 and my cpu run ok
  7. ops i meant a 6870
  8. Its okay. Both althon II x2 260 & the 6870 will be more than enough.
  9. I've heard GTA4 is pretty cpu-hungry but BF3 should run ok.
  10. so my cpu will not bottleneck with a 6870 and will be ablle 2 play games good
  11. skitz9417 said:
    so my cpu will not bottleneck with a 6870 and will be ablle 2 play games good

    Not too sure on that. The bottleneck would still exist, unless you OC your CPU a bit.
    Safest you can go without for the need to OC your CPU is a HD 6770 / GTX550Ti.
  12. i had a look at the hd 6870 fps and the cpu rating on game deatbe and it say it will be fine
  13. skitz9417 said:
    i had a look at the hd 6870 fps and the cpu rating on game deatbe and it say it will be fine

    You can't actually believe in that.
    The fact is that your CPU is definitely going to bottleneck a HD 6870. It's just the same as the GTX560.
  14. iok i will go with the gtx 550 ti since it wont bottleneck my cpu
  15. clutchc said:
    I agree with the above posters. But...
    ...a GTX 560 working with a weak processor is still better than a lesser card working with a weak processor. And, who knows? Maybe you will be able to upgrade your CPU next and make full use of the faster GPU. Gaming is mainly about the Graphics Card.

    +1. I would not worry about bottle necking. After all, a GPU can always be brought forward to the next build if the mobo/processor is no longer economically upgradeable.
  16. Best answer selected by skitz9417.
  17. Thanks for the Best Answer. :)
  18. thts ok i though about it and im gettin a gtx 550 ti thanks for the help
  19. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Bottleneck CPUs AMD Graphics