Your question

Painfully slow speed for 5 months, good speed/ping tests though? o.O

Tags:
  • Dial Up Connection
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
July 6, 2011 8:40:27 PM

Problem:
For the past 5 months, my speed has been slow as mud. I'm paying for internet, which is supposed to get 3mpbs which was the case back in December. I switched from dial-up to dsl back in 2007 and it was great from then to December. Now I don't know for sure if this was when the problem started but the DSL went out in my area after a snow storm and I had to get on the phone with support and reconfigure the router/modem 2wire piece of crap to fix it. A few weeks pass by and my internet speed depletes, it seemed to just slowly die over night and has been at that stage of slowness since. This isn't a one computer problem it's the entire network. I have one windows xp desktop, and a windows 7 desktop wired to the 2wire and they've been like that for over a year and worked flawlessly. My iPhone 3g is also connected to the router via wifi and gets the slow speeds which I never got before. I'll admit I do have a lot of things connected to the router via wifi(android tablets, laptops but they were fine before the slow down incident) but even when all is turned off and it's just my windows xp desktop directly connected, I still get the slowest speeds I've ever seen. All of my filters are attached, I hard reset my modem, and turned it off and on. I am not sure if it's the router, though. I've called at&t so much I just cannot deal with them anymore, they are honestly too stupid to understand my problem :fou: .

What's weird is that I run speed tests and ping tests and get very good results(for the current plan at least, I know other rates would blow mine out of the water). They actually seem to be the same that they were before it all slowed down.

usually the speedtests come out better, maybe 2.6mbps max but weirdly I only get that with the one att tells me to use, today I used speedtest.net and got .11mbps, then ran another and got..

Different locations for those but usually that's what I get for all the ones I've tried.

Now, you may be wondering how slow or what specific tasks are slow. Everything I do and anyone else does on the network is nearly dial-up speed. My sister gets faster speeds on her 3g android phone. I just cannot upload any videos to youtube and can't put pictures on photobucket anymore due to this annoyance and that's just uploading. When it comes to streaming youtube, I can only watch in 360p and it takes about 3 times the length of the video to watch it fully. I'm building a computer specifically for video editing and would really like to upload my content without this hassle.

The furthest I got with at&t was a tech came out, ran a speed test, and told me if I'm getting slow speeds then my server is probably too crowded, he sent in an email and the server swap was denied. They would ignore my thoughts on the swapping of the server and just said I'd have to pay for a tech to come out. No thanks. About 3 phone calls to maintenance department later and my circuit was rebuilt and given a new path or something. Weirdly, this seemed to have increased my speedtest results yet not my literal speed when browsing. Youtube videos still auto-buffered in 360p and if I wanted HD content I'd need a few hours for a 30minute video. Basically, all the trouble and still no success. I've thought, maybe it could be the router but have been told on multiple occasions by att support that it is probably unlikely because they can tell if a router replacement is needed through their tests..

Please suggest any information to get to the bottom of this and hopefully fix it myself, if you need any more info please let me know. I'd change ISPs but there are no others within range \:

I'm really sorry for this long rant/question, it's hard not to when I've been putting up with this for so long :pfff: 

Thanks for any help provided

More about : painfully slow speed months good speed ping tests

July 6, 2011 10:32:41 PM

Boot windows into safe mode with networking and disconnect all the other devices and do the speed test again, Internet proximity has nothing to do with how far the testing servers are but more to do on which network they're on as your packets have to travel through numerous gateways to reach its destination.
m
l
July 7, 2011 10:39:13 PM

Thanks for the reply, Gnomio

Alright, I booted into safemode and ran the test...

So it turned out about the same both times and is usually around there or even higher unless downloads are going on. My speed though seems very unstable in reality. For example, if I start a download, it'll start around 150kbps according to mozilla, or youtubedownloader. 150kbps is slow anyway compared to what I used to get(My good speeds were 275kbps+ before this whole issue started) but within a few seconds after getting that speed it rapidly drops to around at the least 6kbps to the later teens and then 50 to 75 and it'll loop like that until the download is finished, haven't really seen it go any higher. I'm downloading really small things btw such as a lyriced song video in 480p quality. That's just an example anyway, everything I do is slower then molasses.
m
l
July 8, 2011 7:22:29 PM

Well first off, restart your router. Then attempt to change your DNS server, it can help with browsing speeds, not downloads. Also understand that your download speed has no influence on the download you get from stuff on the internet. The server's set upload speed will be your download speed.

^my internet, just felt like sharing.
m
l
July 8, 2011 11:49:45 PM

jroid said:
Thanks for the reply, Gnomio

Alright, I booted into safemode and ran the test...
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1375876207.png

So it turned out about the same both times and is usually around there or even higher unless downloads are going on. My speed though seems very unstable in reality. For example, if I start a download, it'll start around 150kbps according to mozilla, or youtubedownloader. 150kbps is slow anyway compared to what I used to get(My good speeds were 275kbps+ before this whole issue started) but within a few seconds after getting that speed it rapidly drops to around at the least 6kbps to the later teens and then 50 to 75 and it'll loop like that until the download is finished, haven't really seen it go any higher. I'm downloading really small things btw such as a lyriced song video in 480p quality. That's just an example anyway, everything I do is slower then molasses.

What router do you have?
m
l
July 9, 2011 12:06:27 AM

gnomio said:
What router do you have?

I have a 2wire 2701HG-B, it's been my modem/router since around this time 2007, so it's pretty aged.

@blackhawk192
Thanks for the reply,
I've restarted the router at least a hundred times since the incident. I have tried using google's DNS but when I input the settings my internet and dsl light both turned red and I could not access the internet so I had to revert back. I envy your speed btw >;o
m
l
July 9, 2011 12:13:16 AM

jroid said:
I have a 2wire 2701HG-B, it's been my modem/router since around this time 2007, so it's pretty aged.

@blackhawk192
Thanks for the reply,
I've restarted the router at least a hundred times since the incident. I have tried using google's DNS but when I input the settings my internet and dsl light both turned red and I could not access the internet so I had to revert back. I envy your speed btw >;o

Have you tried a firmware upgrade?

Power-cycle the router and modem – unplug the cables, wait for couple of minute and then power on the modem followed by the router.
Open the web dashboard of your modem /router. under Statistics –> ADSL.

Line Attenuation (or Loop Loss) -->Great the distance between the exchange and your home, the higher the attenuation. Anything below 50dB is considered acceptable.

Sync Speed (or Rate) – The speed at which the router connects to the exchange equipment.

SNR Margin (or Noise Margin)--->If the SNR Margin is low, you may experience frequent disconnections. Ideally, this should be 12dB or higher.

Once you have all these values go here
http://212.23.23.177/ADSL/default.aspx
It will give you an estimate of the maximum speed that you get from the ISP.

If the SNR Margin is low or the Line Attenuation is high or if the calculated maximum speed is lesser than what you are paying for, the fault lies somewhere between your modem and the phone exchange. Contact your ISP

m
l
July 9, 2011 2:04:55 AM

@gnomio

Everything from what you said seemed to have checked out. All seems to be where it should be. I input the data and got much better then what I am actually paying for.

Current Noise Margin: 18.0 dB (Downstream) 16.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 19.4 dB (Downstream) 5.0 dB (Upstream)
Downstream Rate: 3008 kbps
Upstream Rate: 512 kbps

Your maximum line connection speed using an ADSL (up to 8Mbps) service is: 6701Kbps

I believe below this it said I should be getting around 5.5mbps.

As for the firmware update, my modem says it has the latest firmware installed. This is very odd..

Thank you for your frequent responses!
m
l
July 9, 2011 6:19:36 AM

jroid said:
@gnomio

Everything from what you said seemed to have checked out. All seems to be where it should be. I input the data and got much better then what I am actually paying for.

Current Noise Margin: 18.0 dB (Downstream) 16.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 19.4 dB (Downstream) 5.0 dB (Upstream)
Downstream Rate: 3008 kbps
Upstream Rate: 512 kbps

Your maximum line connection speed using an ADSL (up to 8Mbps) service is: 6701Kbps

I believe below this it said I should be getting around 5.5mbps.

As for the firmware update, my modem says it has the latest firmware installed. This is very odd..

Thank you for your frequent responses!

YEAH that total is the amount they can supply you with max. Its not what you should be getting now. If that toal came out lower then they cant provide what they have promised or made a deal with you.

By that stats it looks like everything is in order

Go here
http://www.dslreports.com/r3/smokeping.cgi?target=netwo...
and do a test there. They got much more utilities to test your connection
m
l
August 25, 2012 11:42:54 AM

My ping test results are

PING response from the server google.com

Pinging google.com [74.125.239.4] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 74.125.239.4: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=57
Reply from 74.125.239.4: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=57
Ping statistics for 74.125.239.4:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 12ms, Average = 11ms

I usually ping test using the site http://www.whoisxy.com .
m
l
February 9, 2013 3:29:46 AM

I didn't really have time to read everything because I am also looking for ways to speed up the ping. But I did notice that some were turning off their firewall and antivirus and running the tests again. I am finding that it makes a difference in both ping and broadband speed.
m
l
!