Sign in with
Your question

Corsair TX750M Enthusiast series

Last response: in Components
November 7, 2012 2:01:51 PM

Well just finished building my new machine, and i noticed the Fan on the PSU does not spin.

How ever it does spin under load. allthough it seems to struggle? is this normal?

i recently RMA'd the PSU got a new one (amazon) and the new one does the same thing. the fan just doesnt seem to work all the time? it seems to work when it is under heavy load but i was under the assumption that Corsair PSU fans spin all the time and adjust according to heat.

what are the odds of me getting 2 bad PSU's?

when it is underload sometimes it seems like the fan wants to spin it will jump then stop.
a b ) Power supply
November 7, 2012 3:20:24 PM

The fan is not supposed to stop. You have to be lucky to even get one bad psu. You must be very very lucky. Enough to think there is some other cause but nothing comes to mind that would affect a psu fan.
m
l
November 7, 2012 4:08:51 PM

So the second PSU which arrived yesterday Installed is doing the exact same thing. fan does not spin at idle and only kicks on under heavy load. the fan will "jerk" like it is trying to come on but doesnt spin unless it goes heavy load.

so what are the odds of me getting 2 bad PSU's

again this is a Corsair TX750watt M

i really dont wanna RMA another PSU. amazon is going to think im running some sort of scam here lol :o 
m
l
Related resources
November 7, 2012 4:44:19 PM

Well i just found this on the corsair website, not sure how i missed this the first time. but here is a video explaining how the fan does not always spin on the TX models. i guess i RMA'd a perfectly fine powersupply lol..

http://www.corsair.com/us/support/faq/power-supplies

:pt1cable: 

this is also good information for everyone to know. all the research i did suggest the fan should ALWAYS be running. this is what lead me to believe i had a bad PSU. apparently this is not always the case.

The video is talking specifically about the AX models but i hope it is the same for the TX models since both have thermally controlled fans.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 7, 2012 5:57:04 PM

The ax series does have a fanless mode, yours does not. You can even see on your box.

Compared to an ax.

Although it is somewhat misleading as it is temp controlled not by load.
m
l
November 7, 2012 6:14:02 PM

I made a post on the Corsair forums same as here, and their resident tech answered this is normal, the newer V2 models have a fanless mode.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=112117

i also like to keep my house very Cold as this MAY have something to do with it?

even under full load my CPU which is a Core i5 3570k 3.4 is only running at 30c so maybe it is just so cool where the computer is located the fan turns off?...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 7, 2012 6:32:24 PM

That's nice to know, could you check if they changed the graph on the box? They should really market the fanless mode, the ax series don't even state it.

Yes the fan will stay off depending on temps. But 30c at full load prime95? Sounds impossible.
m
l
November 7, 2012 6:41:33 PM

When i get home ill run a test and post the pics of the temps i could be off. but i remember the highest i have seen is 34 and at idle was around 20-24
m
l
!