Sign in with
Your question

HP Pavilion Elite m9047c CPU UPGRADE

Last response: in CPUs
November 7, 2012 2:10:56 PM

Hi,

I currently have an HP Pavilion Elite m9047c Desktop that is running slow, despite the 8GB RAM Upgrade with the Windows 7 ULTIMATE 64-bit installed. I also installed a 1GB Graphics Card to aid the system from its cheap 256MB Factory Installed card.

Does anyone know if I can install a faster CPU on this desktop? I was thinking about jumping to a 3.0GHz but don't know much about computers anymore. What fits? Is it possible to over-clock? HHEEEEEEEEELLLLPPPPPP!!!
a c 109 à CPUs
November 7, 2012 2:15:44 PM

What is your current CPU (download CPUID and check).

The best CPU you can put inside the machine is a Core 2 Quad Q6600.
m
l
November 7, 2012 2:23:17 PM

jay_nar2012, that is exactly what I have installed. a Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz processor. I Even have an external Hard Drive
to save files to external HD and run my programs on my PC's internal HD. I run Defragmentations every 2 weeks. I wanted to see if I can go as high as 3.0GHz or if I should just sell this PC and buy a new one.
m
l
Related resources
a c 109 à CPUs
November 7, 2012 2:23:39 PM

What do you mean your computer is running slow, is it certain programs or just generally?

m
l
November 7, 2012 2:37:14 PM

Start-up is a drag. It takes like 10 minutes to fully boot. When I run a program like Photoshop with 8GB Ram it takes for ever to save a file. When I had my Sony VIAO with 4GB Ram, it saved faster.
m
l
November 7, 2012 3:17:10 PM

I thought the same thing... just before I posted my message I had TigerDirect.com and eBay.com searching for one of two things:
1) 300GB 15,000RPM Hard Drive
or
2) 260GB Solid State Drive

Since I am NOT a computer savvy, I was even considering buying BOTH. Have my Solid State as my main hard drive and my 15K RPM as my secondary drive where I can run Adobe Premier PRO. How to program them? I have no idea. What do you think???
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
November 7, 2012 4:50:09 PM

Your better off buying a 1TB green hard drive for data plus the SSD for programs that require speed.

You just use them as separate drives, when you download and install something select where you want the program to go.

m
l
November 17, 2012 10:20:01 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Your better off buying a 1TB green hard drive for data plus the SSD for programs that require speed.

You just use them as separate drives, when you download and install something select where you want the program to go.

What would the Green Hard drive do for me? Wouldn't it be better to have a Fast Spinning hard drive as my main drive and an SSD for my hard core applications such as Photoshop, Flash and Premier Pro? The thing is,
how do I differ one from the other? For example, if I install the software it would go in the 15K RPM main hard drive, but where does that leave the performance of the SSD? When I save my work, I don't want it saved fast... I want it processed fast.

Any hints there?
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
November 17, 2012 10:41:37 PM

The green drive can be used for data and programs, the SSd can be used as the main boot drive and can be used for programs that require hard drive speed (like games).

A 15K RPM HHD vibrates a lot, is expensive for a small capacity and isn't very energy efficient, plus they get quite hot when in use.

m
l
!