Laptop shutting down my router

dadiorick1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Hello,I have a laptop with windosw 7 and every time I try to turn on the wlan it causes all computers from the wireless to lose internet

Please provide more details. Do you mean they lose Internet when you simply turn on your wireless, or after you connect?

What does "lose Internet" mean? Do they actually lose their wireless connection (shows broken in the tray), or do web pages take a long time and timeout?

dadiorick1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

I lose internet all tog. on all my computers and it don't return till I turn off the wireless lan in the laptop. Basically it crashes my router I re installed windows and flashed the bios with an updated program. Just to be sure it wasn't the router I accessed another router next door and it did the same to them. I used an Ethernet cable and everything worked fine not using the wireless on the lap but as soon as i try wireless all computers go offline and router don't show anything wrong as far as the lights go. I checked the internet connection in the lap and everything was set right, but i figured that after I re installed the windows because everything was default btw TY for the answer to my problem

Sounds almost as though that laptop has its settings to allow other computers to share its connection rather than to use a default gateway - the one in the router.

I suggest you delete the wireless connection in the laptop completely and start again.

smartieparty

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

Hey Dadiorick7, did you get any additional answers elsewhere? The same thing is happening with my nephew's Sony laptop with Windows 7. I'm the family tech guy, so I was called in to fix this along with a minor malware infection. Everything's working fine now except for the wireless adapter issue. I would appreciate you sharing any more info you may have gotten since your last post. Thanks!