$1000 - 1500... Gaming rig first time build

Kevin9809

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2012
Hey everyone. I'm looking to finally update my computer I bought way back in July 2005.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next month or two

Budget Range: $1,000-$1,500 Before Rebates

System Usage: Gaming, surfing the internet, working on reports from home

Parts Not Required: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS) I'll probably need everything including an OS, keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I can wait for speakers to save money. As for the mouse and keyboard, I have the older purple and green connections but I know many newer computer parts either support none of these or have one universal port. With that said, I may be able to save one or the other pending your recommendations.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Parts Preferences: No preference

Overclocking: Maybe. I've never overclocked before so I would have to educate myself before attempting to do so.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe. Starting out with one video card is fine for now; however, I'd like to have the option in case I decide to go this route in the future.

Monitor Resolution: (e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200) My current monitor can only go up to 1280x1024 and its older... from 2007 I think. Its time for a new one!

Additional Comments: My existing computer is just too old. The newest part in it is the nvidia geforce 6600 video card lol. I would like a computer that can run existing games and has the ability to last me for awhile. Other than that, as I mentioned above, I'll only use it for surfing the web and sometimes for work.

Solution
I would start with something like this, it's on the high end of your budget, but it's a great build for gaming:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b8sH

It will allow you to OC with the addition of a cooler.
It will give you the flexibility to CF in the future.

Things you could change to save money with my build:
1. Drop the SSD entirely.
2. Get a cheaper case.
3. Re-use an old hard drive?
4. You could use your old kb/mouse and buy adaptors to go to USB.

cranked

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
I would start with something like this, it's on the high end of your budget, but it's a great build for gaming:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b8sH

It will allow you to OC with the addition of a cooler.
It will give you the flexibility to CF in the future.

Things you could change to save money with my build:
1. Drop the SSD entirely.
2. Get a cheaper case.
3. Re-use an old hard drive?
4. You could use your old kb/mouse and buy adaptors to go to USB.

Solution

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Agreed with cranked's build, looks good with the extra tips.

If you live close to a Microcenter they have a sale on the 3570k for $189 and $50 off a mobo when u buy them together. Best deal out there.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Microcenter did not list an expiration so it looks like they can stop the sale whenever they decide. You can get a real good deal if you pick a mobo that is already on sale and reduced $30-$40 then an extra $50 off with the promotion you can get a really good deal.

Oh btw you can pick the items and pay on Microcenter.com and just have your folks pick up the components. Just make sure you pick the location where you want to pick up at the top of their web page.

TRENDING THREADS