Sign in with
Your question

Amd phenom ii x2 560

Last response: in CPUs
November 7, 2012 5:08:03 PM

Hi guys,
I have a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev. 1.1) Mobo. I want to buy a new processor for it. One of my friend has a amd phenom ii x2 560(3.3 GHz AM3 Socket). He wants to sell it. Should I go for it?? Is amd phenom ii x2 560 a good processor?? Will it perform well with that mobo?? My friend told me it actually has four cores(2 enabled & 2 disabled). Is it true? How to enable them with that mobo?? What bios version should I use??

Pls help guys.... Thanks.

More about : amd phenom 560

November 7, 2012 5:31:41 PM

Correction. After checking Gigabyte's website that mobo would work with AM3.

what are you currently running and how much is your friend asking?
m
l
Related resources
November 7, 2012 5:37:14 PM

EDIT: Never mind, I was wrong about my last post XD

This chip can be unlocked to 4 cores but people seem to say it's unstable. I wouldn't know though.
m
l
November 7, 2012 5:39:26 PM

Thanx for your reply. The mobo was running a athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3GHz cpu. So you mean it does not have unlockable cores?? does the black edition of amd phenom ii x2 560 have disabled 2 cores??
m
l
November 7, 2012 5:53:07 PM

you can unlock the amd phenom ii x2 560 to have 4 cores. Sometimes it works sometimes it does not.

You would see a jump in performance with the new CPU locked at 2 cores or unlocked at 4 cores.

How much is your friend asking? I will let you know if that is a good deal.
m
l
November 7, 2012 6:02:06 PM

He wants to sell it for $45. What is the difference between normal amd phenom ii x2 560 and amd phenom ii x2 560 BLACK EDITION.
m
l
November 7, 2012 6:17:30 PM

Thanks. So it will not be a bad deal right?? Can you please tell me what is the difference between normal amd phenom ii x2 560 and amd phenom ii x2 560 BLACK EDITION?
m
l
November 7, 2012 6:24:03 PM

bit better performance.

If you are going to use the computer it may be worth it. Could be a good media center for a TV if you throw a bigger HDD and HDMI GPU into it.
m
l
November 7, 2012 6:29:59 PM

What is the difference between normal amd phenom ii x2 560 and amd phenom ii x2 560 BLACK EDITION?
m
l
November 7, 2012 7:05:44 PM

The black is just a minor upgrade. Nothing special.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 7, 2012 7:56:55 PM

To answer your question: Black editions have unlocked multipliers, making it easier to overclock.

Here's my 2 cents advise: If I were you, I'd rather pay 80$ and get a brand new quad-core CPU rather than pay 45$ and try to unlock the hidden cores on a used dual-core CPU. I heard it doesn't work every time and some people reported stability issues after waking up the "hidden" cores. But I don't know what's your budget, if you are tight you might be willing to take the risk (I'm not sure how big is the risk though, some other people might step in and give their thoughts, looks like a lot of people were able to achieve that successfully too).

Also, the question by inerax is still valid: What are you planning to do with this computer? Is it for gaming or just browsing the web? Because if you don't do much with the PC you're not likely to see a big improvement going from 2 to 4 cores. However, in some games it can make a huge difference (most modern games really like the quad-cores).

Finally, if you change your CPU, make sure your current BIOS version supports the new CPU. If you don't want to take any chance, just flash your BIOS before swapping the CPUs.
m
l
!