Sign in with
Your question

CPU Sensor temps. Hwmonitor or ASUS Suite

Last response: in CPUs
November 7, 2012 5:16:42 PM

I am getting two different reading for my CPU Heat. Hwmonitor tells me 35c and Asus Suite tells me 27c which one would be more accurate. Many thanks.
a b à CPUs
November 7, 2012 5:32:19 PM

Hi :) 

Check in the BIOS, where the temps ARE accurate...

All the best Brett :) 
a b à CPUs
November 7, 2012 9:28:28 PM

Bios temps are useless. Intel CPUs determine thermal throttling and thermal shut down based on the CPU core temperature which is totally different than what the bios reports. Use RealTemp or Core Temp for reading your core temperature and fully load your CPU with Prime95 or a similar stress testing program.

RealTemp 3.70
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2089/Real_Temp_3.7...
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2012 6:50:07 PM

If limited to those 2 choices I would go for HWmonitor. In addition, I know that in the bios the temperatures are quite accurate but during the time in the bios there are no cooling functions enabled like cool'n quiet and so you will get different "idle" temperatures while on your desktop and in the Bios. Realtemp is also quite good at temperatures but I myself use HWmonitor. I run a Asus Motherboard and the Asus tool for temperatures records my motherboard and CPU incorrectly. They are both switched around for some reason...
a c 109 à CPUs
November 8, 2012 6:57:48 PM

BIOS temperatures are the MOST accurate readings you can possibly get. The only downside is that the temperature's you're getting aren't 'real' idle as SocialFox stated.

SocialFox also stated a good point, I can't come to trust ASUS's AISUITE due to a few things that puzzle me. AISUITE reads my CPU temperatures across all cores as 30C while HWMonitor and RealTemp both have a temperature range (30-35C). I personally find this to be more of a realistic approach than just one CPU temperature.

Regardless of which program you use, software-based temperature readings will always be slightly off. Go with what you're most comfortable with.
November 9, 2012 5:32:05 PM

Thanks for replies. I literally just came off a game on bf3 and I had asus suite running and warning came up about my motherboard and I check HWmonitor it was saying that my CPUTIN was at 120c and I have only ever seen it at 60c and never move higher or lower. I just restarted PC and check bios and temps looked fine and I have no decided to uninstall asus Suite as I have never came across this alarming temp increase. I have done nothing to my PC except clean it the other day and I shall report back after a gaming sesion.
a c 109 à CPUs
November 9, 2012 10:50:38 PM

I have the same board as you (I think). I'm almost certain this is a sensor issue as my HWMonitor and ASUS AI Suite both report that my CPUTIN is either 60C or 120C.

a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 11:06:30 PM

I use CoreTemp and sometimes CPUID. They read the same thing so I always thought they must be pretty accurate.
a c 109 à CPUs
November 9, 2012 11:10:25 PM

mace200200 said:
I use CoreTemp and sometimes CPUID. They read the same thing so I always thought they must be pretty accurate.

Yeah, with AMD CPU's they tend to be spot on :)  I remember my Phenom II X4 955 had the same readings across a few programs :lol: 
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 11:19:52 PM

I think I've seen this device on a clip from youtube where this guy points this device at various parts of the computer and it displays a temperature on the device. Anyone know what that is? If you haven't heard of anything like that then I'm just hallucinating :lol: 

Edit: some more information, I think it looks kind of like a gun.
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 11:22:53 PM

socialfox said:
I think I've seen this device on a clip from youtube where this guy points this device at various parts of the computer and it displays a temperature on the device. Anyone know what that is? If you haven't heard of anything like that then I'm just hallucinating :lol: 

Edit: some more information, I think it looks kind of like a gun.

Its an Infrared remote Thermometer... I have one for the temps on my tyres etc when I race....

Like these pictures >>>> http://www.hotfrog.co.uk/Companies/b2cpowershop/Non-Con...

a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 11:26:11 PM

Just to add, I have never thought of using it on my PC....

It WOULD work but not well....

You aim it at something , and it has a tiny laser red dot to show where its reading the temp, which then shows on the digital display on the instrument...

BUT....it would show your coolers temp but not your cpus unless you could see an edge...

a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 11:26:15 PM

So its called a Infrared remote thermometer. Is it any good at finding computer temperatures? Like if I were to point it at my video card will I get similar temperatures like HWmonitor? Anyways what kind of racing do you do? I bet you drive a Porsche, the picture gives it away :lol: 
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 11:28:09 PM

That's great, thanks for you time Brett! I very much appreciate it :) 
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 11:28:45 PM

socialfox said:
So its called a Infrared remote thermometer. Is it any good at finding computer temperatures? Like if I were to point it at my video card will I get similar temperatures like HWmonitor? Anyways what kind of racing do you do? I bet you drive a Porsche, the picture gives it away :lol: 

You can point it at ANY part, and see its temp...so for changing fans , coolers etc it would be useful...they range from around £30 to over £100.. Mine is the Snap-ON Version, I think I paid around £60 a couple of years ago...

I do Top speed runs in my Porsche (over 200 mph etc)

a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 11:33:31 PM

I know we are sliding off the topic but could I just ask you one last question? What car do you drive? It's cool to know that you drive at speeds of over 200 mph. I'm going to guess but is it a Carrera GT or Porsche 911 GT2 RS? I know there are more cars than that that go over 200 mph but it's all that comes to my mind.
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 11:38:56 PM

socialfox said:
I know we are sliding off the topic but could I just ask you one last question? What car do you drive? It's cool to know that you drive at speeds of over 200 mph. I'm going to guess but is it a Carrera GT or Porsche 911 GT2 RS? I know there are more cars than that that go over 200 mph but it's all that comes to my mind.

Its a 26 year old 928...WITH a 2000 hp Nitrous system....lol

So roughly 2350 hp....AND its my daily driver...

a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 11:48:15 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Its a 26 year old 928...WITH a 2000 hp Nitrous system....lol

So roughly 2350 hp....AND its my daily driver...

Cool and that things street legal?
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 11:49:45 PM

I wonder how much MPG do you get Brett in city and highway? Either way that is really impressive, heck almost all cars around my area are under 200 horsepower. You ever take your car to the drag strip? If so what kind of times you get?
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2012 12:13:53 AM

mace200200 said:
Cool and that things street legal?

Yes, Perfectly....don't forget Nitrous is armed by a switch and controller, so as my daily driver its only around 350 hp...

a b à CPUs
November 10, 2012 12:16:59 AM

socialfox said:
I wonder how much MPG do you get Brett in city and highway? Either way that is really impressive, heck almost all cars around my area are under 200 horsepower. You ever take your car to the drag strip? If so what kind of times you get?

UK gallons... I get around 12 mpg around town... around 19 on a Motorway (Freeway) IF i stick to 70 mph speed limit lol...

And when I am using Nitrous for my record runs... between 2 to 3 to the gallon...lol

I hold a couple of UK Records ...Porsche 928 records...1/4 mile record holder and UK Porsche Top speed record holder (208.1 mph)

!