Black screen with cursor (underscore) after POST

notJim

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Hey all,

I just built a new system (I will list components below), and I can't get the Windows 7 installer to start. The system POSTs, and poking around in the BIOS, everything seemed okay, but after that, I get a black screen with a flashing underscore cursor.

I am trying to install from a USB stick that I made using the Windows 7 USB sticker maker thingy from Microsoft, and an ISO from them as well.

Also, this is my first install with a UEFI bios, so I don't know if there are special things I need to do. Here are my components:

- ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
- Intel Core i5 3570k
- G.SKILL F3-10666CL9D 16 GB (8x2)
- Crucial M4 128 GB
- ATI Radeon 5850
- Hyper 212

notJim

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
I think I figured it out. Under the Advanced Menu, then USB configuration in the BIOS, there's an option that says whether the USB is a cdrom or an HDD style format. I had selected CDROM at some point while I was trying to fix this. Changing back to auto made the installer boot like normal.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah when you install Windows you set the BIOS to look for the device that you have the Windows setup files on (CD/DVD/USB) and then when it's done installing set it back to your boot drive.

TRENDING THREADS