Sign in with
Your question

Black screen with cursor (underscore) after POST

Last response: in Systems
June 30, 2012 8:49:06 PM

Hey all,

I just built a new system (I will list components below), and I can't get the Windows 7 installer to start. The system POSTs, and poking around in the BIOS, everything seemed okay, but after that, I get a black screen with a flashing underscore cursor.

I am trying to install from a USB stick that I made using the Windows 7 USB sticker maker thingy from Microsoft, and an ISO from them as well.

Also, this is my first install with a UEFI bios, so I don't know if there are special things I need to do. Here are my components:

- ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
- Intel Core i5 3570k
- G.SKILL F3-10666CL9D 16 GB (8x2)
- Crucial M4 128 GB
- ATI Radeon 5850
- Hyper 212
June 30, 2012 9:34:47 PM

Did you set the primary boot device as your USB device? If not the BIOS won't look for it.
June 30, 2012 9:48:51 PM

I think I figured it out. Under the Advanced Menu, then USB configuration in the BIOS, there's an option that says whether the USB is a cdrom or an HDD style format. I had selected CDROM at some point while I was trying to fix this. Changing back to auto made the installer boot like normal.
June 30, 2012 10:08:49 PM

notJim said:
I think I figured it out. Under the Advanced Menu, then USB configuration in the BIOS, there's an option that says whether the USB is a cdrom or an HDD style format. I had selected CDROM at some point while I was trying to fix this. Changing back to auto made the installer boot like normal.

Yeah when you install Windows you set the BIOS to look for the device that you have the Windows setup files on (CD/DVD/USB) and then when it's done installing set it back to your boot drive.
!