Sign in with
Your question
Solved

System won't boot, fans don't spin.

Last response: in Systems
June 30, 2012 9:42:57 PM

Hey guys,

This morning i woke to a computer that won't boot, upon pressing the on button nothing nothing happens, fans don't spin the computer doesn't post, the psu fan does nothing. there is only one Green led that lights up. is this the psu?

System specs:
Case: Corsair 500R
PSU: XFX 750W "Pro" semi modular power supply.
GPU: EVGA GTX 560Ti 448
MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth z77
RAM: PNY 16GB 4GBx4
CPU: Intel i5 2500k
SSD: ocz vertex 4 (boot)
HDDs 500 & 320GB drives for data.

More about : system boot fans spin

a b B Homebuilt system
June 30, 2012 9:54:22 PM

You will have to do the paper clip test to see if the psu is dead or alive.

http://dodji.seketeli.com/downloads/shuttle-psu-paper-c...

As the test says you need to find the green and black wires and insert the ends of the paper clip into each hole and the fan on the psu shuld come on and any fans that are conneced to the molex plugs on the power supply. If the fans are pluged into the motherboard then they won't work because you have removed the MB power connecter to do the test.
If the test is succerssful and you plug the power connector back in and still doesn't boot then you can tae a screwdriver and cross the two pins that the power button is connected to the two pins will say pwr and neg.
m
l
June 30, 2012 9:59:38 PM

ok i will do the test now and post back with the results.
m
l
Related resources
June 30, 2012 10:06:43 PM

ok i did the test, the fans spin and drives power and spin up

EDIT: i did not plug the power connectors into the mobo though
m
l
June 30, 2012 11:52:45 PM

Well plug them in and manual start it then. Its not going to hurt you. :p  Sounds like your case switch is boned. It shouldn't be all that difficult to fix or replace, should it?
m
l
July 1, 2012 3:38:51 AM

i shorted the pins to turn on the mobo. nothing
m
l
July 1, 2012 4:19:56 PM

Bump
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
July 1, 2012 4:43:26 PM

If you shorted the pins and the motherboard power connector was pluged back in then there is something wrong with the MB ad depending on how long you have had it there should be a warranty and you will have to contact the MB manufacturer's tech support to start a support ticket so that you can RMA the board back to them for it to be fixed or replaced.
July 1, 2012 4:50:38 PM

Ok i submitted a ticket yesterday, ive only had the board for a month or so a rma won't be a problem, i think.

Thanks for all the help.
m
l
July 1, 2012 4:51:03 PM

Best answer selected by jjd712.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 1, 2012 5:19:14 PM

You shouldn't have a problem with only having the board for a short time and they should be giving you an RMA shortly.
m
l
!