Hunter's ranged damage question

Ok, I've got 315 unbuffed Agi and a gorewood bow with jagged arrows. I get
about 180-210 numbers flashing up (4-500 crits) and my dps is apparently
110.5 My biggest crits are about 15-1600 with aimed shot.

What can I do to increase my damage?

play a Rogue!

Xanex....UndeadRogueazon, sorry, I had to, it was too easy :) <---- crit
for 1892 and 1427 in the same fight yesterday in UBRS.

"porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I've got 315 unbuffed Agi and a gorewood bow with jagged arrows. I get
> about 180-210 numbers flashing up (4-500 crits) and my dps is apparently
> 110.5 My biggest crits are about 15-1600 with aimed shot.
>
> What can I do to increase my damage?

MindsEye

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

"porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I've got 315 unbuffed Agi and a gorewood bow with jagged arrows. I get
> about 180-210 numbers flashing up (4-500 crits) and my dps is apparently
> 110.5 My biggest crits are about 15-1600 with aimed shot.
>
> What can I do to increase my damage?

You can never have enough agility.

A little strength doesn't hurt.

Marksmanship talent tree. Use it. Love it.

Always, ALWAYS make sure that hunter's mark and aspect of the hawk are up
(and trueshot aura, if applicable).

Without more information (level, agility WITH buffs and bonuses, etc), can't
really give you more than the above, general advice.

-[Blayde]-

I also use gorewood, but with only 293 agi atm, but get regular crits
over 2000, (hightest I can actually remember becasue I screenshotted
it) was 2106, so I dont know whats going on there.

--
Raildancer. via www.savageforums.com

....or reroll as a lucky holy priest :)

180 intelligence, yesterday I did my solo routine:
_holy fire 400
_smite 400
_holy fire dot 30
_smite 400
_holy fire dot 30
_smite 400
_holy fire dot 30
_smite 400
_holy fire dot 30
_smite 400
(...yeah that's about 200dps, except some smites take 3-4seconds due to
interruption, but if I pop a shield before the fight I get a steady 170-200)

except this time it was:
_crit holy fire 600
_crit smite 600
_HF dot 30
_crit smite 600
_HF dot 30
_crit smite 600

4 crits within 6 seconds :p

(sorry, Porl, can't help you there...)

u wrote:
> play a Rogue!
>
> Xanex....UndeadRogueazon, sorry, I had to, it was too easy :) <---- crit
> for 1892 and 1427 in the same fight yesterday in UBRS.
>

> "porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>
>>Ok, I've got 315 unbuffed Agi and a gorewood bow with jagged arrows. I get
>>about 180-210 numbers flashing up (4-500 crits) and my dps is apparently
>>110.5 My biggest crits are about 15-1600 with aimed shot.
>>
>>What can I do to increase my damage?

I use a Blasthorn bow with 300 agi and get regular crits over 500 with
regular shots. Highest Aimed Shot crit I recall was 1750 or so. Blasthorn
has plus Ranged Attack. Other than that I specced into Marks with increased
crit chance and increased crit damage 5/5. Also I always AoH when ranged
and Hunter Mark the target. That's about all I can think of for regular
equipment and speccing. I assume I'd have higher crits with Trueshot Aura,
but I didn't spec Marks to 31 since I like BM. There are parts of sets and
sets of equipment that add crit chance.

Hope that Helps and Happy Hunting! :)

"Raildancer" <Raildancer.1otvia@no-mx.savageforums.com> wrote in message

> I also use gorewood, but with only 293 agi atm, but get regular crits
> over 2000, (hightest I can actually remember becasue I screenshotted
> it) was 2106, so I dont know whats going on there.

*cries*

"mindseye" <mindseye@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
> "porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Ok, I've got 315 unbuffed Agi and a gorewood bow with jagged arrows. I
>> get about 180-210 numbers flashing up (4-500 crits) and my dps is
>> apparently 110.5 My biggest crits are about 15-1600 with aimed shot.
>>
>> What can I do to increase my damage?
>>

> You can never have enough agility.
>
> A little strength doesn't hurt.
>
> Marksmanship talent tree. Use it. Love it.
>
> Always, ALWAYS make sure that hunter's mark and aspect of the hawk are up
> (and trueshot aura, if applicable).
>
> Without more information (level, agility WITH buffs and bonuses, etc),
> can't really give you more than the above, general advice.

Lvl 60, skill 300 MM/S spec with all the usual options (maxed out lethal,
mortal shot) The only thing I can see I'm missing is Trueshot Aura, Ranged
Weapon and Imp AotH which I haven't gone for. But I've never had a crit in
the region of 2000.

No point in mentioning buffs because it's party-dependant.

Raildancer <Raildancer.1otvia@no-mx.savageforums.com> wrote in

> I also use gorewood, but with only 293 agi atm, but get regular crits
> over 2000, (hightest I can actually remember becasue I screenshotted
> it) was 2106, so I dont know whats going on there.

Keep in mind that agi isn't the only stat that matters ... some armor and
melee weapons have +% to crit or +attack power which matters a lot more
than some small amount of added agility.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Nalybuites' nalyubuites
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

"porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> wrote in

> Ok, I've got 315 unbuffed Agi and a gorewood bow with jagged arrows. I
> get about 180-210 numbers flashing up (4-500 crits) and my dps is
> apparently 110.5 My biggest crits are about 15-1600 with aimed shot.
>
> What can I do to increase my damage?

You haven't said what your talents are - this matters a bit.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Nalybuites' nalyubuites
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

"Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in message
> "porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> wrote in
>
>> Ok, I've got 315 unbuffed Agi and a gorewood bow with jagged arrows. I
>> get about 180-210 numbers flashing up (4-500 crits) and my dps is
>> apparently 110.5 My biggest crits are about 15-1600 with aimed shot.
>>
>> What can I do to increase my damage?
>
> You haven't said what your talents are - this matters a bit.

I did, in my reply to Mindseye.

> Raildancer <Raildancer.1otvia@no-mx.savageforums.com> wrote in
>

>> I also use gorewood, but with only 293 agi atm, but get regular crits
>> over 2000, (hightest I can actually remember becasue I screenshotted
>> it) was 2106, so I dont know whats going on there.
>
> Keep in mind that agi isn't the only stat that matters ... some armor and
> melee weapons have +% to crit or +attack power which matters a lot more
> than some small amount of added agility.

How does it rack up, agi vs crit? If I have a +1 crit ring, is it better
than a +8 agi/sta ring?

> How does it rack up, agi vs crit? If I have a +1 crit ring, is it better
> than a +8 agi/sta ring?

At level 60, agi to crit percent is about 20 to 1.

Agi has other effects too though, such as improved dodge, parry, armor(?) and
attack power. (For some classes.)

--
Davian / Dearic (Bloodhoof)

"We need a new Mario game, where you rescue the princess in the first ten
minutes, and for the rest of the game you try and push down that sick feeling
in your stomach that she's "damaged goods"... When Peach asks you, in the
quiet of her mushroom castle bedroom "do you still love me?" you pretend to be
asleep. You press the A button rhythmically, to control your breath, keep it
even." - Joey Comeau on increased realism in gaming.

"Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote in

> "porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>

>> How does it rack up, agi vs crit? If I have a +1 crit ring, is it
>> better than a +8 agi/sta ring?
>>

> At level 60, agi to crit percent is about 20 to 1.

Nahhh, it's worse than that - I've heard anywhere betweeen 50 and 100.
It's hard to know for sure though since Blizzard won't say, but I know that
20 just doesn't feel right.

--

> "Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote in
>

> > "porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> >>

> >> How does it rack up, agi vs crit? If I have a +1 crit ring, is it
> >> better than a +8 agi/sta ring?
> >>

> > At level 60, agi to crit percent is about 20 to 1.
>
> Nahhh, it's worse than that - I've heard anywhere betweeen 50 and 100.
> It's hard to know for sure though since Blizzard won't say, but I know that
> 20 just doesn't feel right.

Not hard at all. Add and remove items that give agility, and watch what your
crit percent changes to on the tooltips. I forget if it's 20 or 24, but
it's not more than that.

Perhaps you're thinking of spell crits, which are not shown in a tooltip, and
are rumored to change at 100 int per 1%.

--

Cyde Weys wrote:
> > At level 60, agi to crit percent is about 20 to 1.
>
> Nahhh, it's worse than that - I've heard anywhere betweeen 50 and 100.
> It's hard to know for sure though since Blizzard won't say, but I know that
> 20 just doesn't feel right.

If you're correct, Cyde, then a 1% bonus to crit is just about the
most desirable buff in the game, even more than a +49 STR (which only
adds 7 DPS), right?
--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~ylee/> PERTH ----> *
Cpu(s): 1.8% us, 0.9% sy, 0.3% ni, 95.5% id, 1.3% wa, 0.1% hi, 0.0% si

"porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> "Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in message
>> Raildancer <Raildancer.1otvia@no-mx.savageforums.com> wrote in
>>

>>> I also use gorewood, but with only 293 agi atm, but get regular crits
>>> over 2000, (hightest I can actually remember becasue I screenshotted
>>> it) was 2106, so I dont know whats going on there.
>>
>> Keep in mind that agi isn't the only stat that matters ... some armor and
>> melee weapons have +% to crit or +attack power which matters a lot more
>> than some small amount of added agility.
>
> How does it rack up, agi vs crit? If I have a +1 crit ring, is it better
> than a +8 agi/sta ring?

These numbers apply to Hunters only. They will very likely be different for
other classes. To the extent I have been able to confirm them they appear
to be correct.

There were some raw numbers put on the Hunter's Board. From those and some
comments that followed it appeared. 26.32 Agility = 1 Ranged Crit %. 52.63
Agility = 1 Melee Crit %. In addition, Agility does the following: 1 Agil =
2 Ranged Power, 1 Agil = 1 Melee Attack Power, 1 Agil = 2 AC, 2.8 Agil = 1
Ranged damage, 6.5 Agil = 1 Melee Damage, 26.32 Agil = 1 Dodge %.

Another thing to consider is Ranged Attack Power, 5.7 Ranged Attack Power =
1 Ranged damage. So a 36 Ranged Attack Power bow is as good as a +18
Agility Bow (if there were such a thing in the game) as far as ranged dps
goes. (You do lose the other agi benefits though).

I take into consideration that Agility (and Ranged Attack Power) adds damage
to every shot. It's my understanding that +crit % only adds to the chance
of making a crit hit. As a result I lean toward a moderate Agility increase
or a significant Ranged Attack Power increase over a raw 1% crit increase.
But I've not crunched the numbers on this one.

Agil is better for a Hunter than Str since Str only adds to Melee Attack
Power at exactly the same rate as Agility.

"u" <u@mail.com> wrote in message news:d5qs73$o01$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> play a Rogue!
>
> Xanex....UndeadRogueazon, sorry, I had to, it was too easy :) <---- crit
> for 1892 and 1427 in the same fight yesterday in UBRS.

What weapon(s) do you use to get those numbers, u? Did you aquire some
nice purple daggers, or what?
-Marshall