baxtertech

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I have a new laptop, new printer, and an old desktop PC. My question is this: Do either of my PCs have to be hard-wired to the wireless router in order for the network to operate? Or, can i use both of my PCs free from being hardwired to the wireless router. My laptop has the necessary wi-fi equipment built in, however I am assuming the PC will need a network USB. Help!

Solution
The router does not need any ethernet cables in it to work, it will work fine on all wireless. But keep in mind that the wifi signal speed is shared among all the devices. So a 54mb connection with 2 computers will effectivily be a 25 mb connnection, and will drop with more and more devices on it. Also range and walls to the router will affect speeds.

thepersuader360

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
You can buy a very cheap wireless usb dongle for your old PC and make it wireless. Unless your printer has built in wireless (you would know if it had) it will need to be connected to a one of the machines to be used over the network.

The router does not need any ethernet cables in it to work, it will work fine on all wireless. But keep in mind that the wifi signal speed is shared among all the devices. So a 54mb connection with 2 computers will effectivily be a 25 mb connnection, and will drop with more and more devices on it. Also range and walls to the router will affect speeds.

Solution