Concerns on selling rig

bloojays23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Hi I'm thinking about selling my current rig because I will be moving away for college and I thought there would be no point in bring it since I have a laptop and I will be living in a dorm.

The system I'm selling: ( I AM NOT ADVERTISING THIS, DO NOT PM ME ABOUT IT)
CASE ● Rosewill Ranger Mid-Tower ATX/MATX Case
CPU ● AMD Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition Zosma 3.0Ghz
COOLER ● Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
MB ● ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
RAM ● 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
PSU ● CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W
GPU ● SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6770 1GB GDDR5
OD ● ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
Additional ● USB 3.0 PCI Adapter

I'm selling it around $700, which is pretty high but I was in no rush. ( I AM NOT ADVERTISING THIS, DO NOT PM ME ABOUT IT)

A guy wanted to buy it for $650 since I am not including the HDD which is a good deal still for me. But now I am having some reserves since this is my first system that I built.

My question is can I build a significantlybetter system for $650 than the one I'm selling?

And would I still be able access the data(movies,songs,file) on my HDD if I were to use that as a 2nd HDD on another system?

Nice system.

But, I would go ahead and sell it. The price seems fair.

When it comes time to rebuild, there will be newer/better/cheaper parts.

And, yes, you will have no problem accessing files from the hard drive when attached to another system. If you want, you can install it in a usb based external enclosure, and access the files from your laptop.

if you had to replace every part that you sold above then:

CPU: ~200 for non overclock(i5-3450)| 220/230 for OC
Mobo: ~90$ if non overclock board,| varies for z series board
CPU Cooler: not required for non overclock | similar one as your original build price
Case/PSU: if you stick with rosewill case+rosewill psu, it can range from 105-130$ for both
Ram: i would put you at 8gb, as 16 is unessessary most of the time 45$
OD: 20ish?

so if you built a i5-3450 build, it would cost
200+90+105(generic 650w hive + challenger case)+45+20=which is 460(~560 if you need another OS disk). rest of budget then would go to the gpu(190 without os, 90 with). If you looking to build an overclocker build, budget would be extremely tight.

bloojays23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Thanks for the quick and informative reply.

I have few more other questions:
-Is it possible to delete all personal data on a HDD such as files,user profiles,basically everything but still keep the OS? Basically doing a total wipe with a clean install of the OS?
-Going along with the the previous question, I asked because I believe that you cannot use/boot a HDD of a system to another system. If possible, can I use my old HDD with the OS installed on it on another new system?

bloojays23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
@dudewitbow: I prefer not to do any OCing on my system since I only have a general education about computers plus OCing only has a relatively performance increase in my opinion. And the dangers that come with it is not worth it for me.

I was wondering which is more effective and efficient (cost vs perfromance), would buying a single high performance GPU for lets say around $350-400 be better than buying 2x GPU around $100-170 and doing a Xfire with them?

And how are the reliability and cost of SSD these days? I was thinking about buying one last year but was became a little worried when I saw all the negative feedbacks about their failure and stuff like that and also the prices per GB was a little to high for my taste.

for the gpu question, 1 gpu is generally better than 2, because not all games utilize both cards, and double card setups are power hungry as well. when building a new build, a strong single card>2 seperate cards because it runs into less issues.

as for the ssd question. they are as reliable as hdds now. and their prices are readily dropping. before they were more than 1$ per gb, then 1$ per gb, now you see several which are less than 1$ per gb.