Sign in with
Your question

HDMI audio dropping out

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 7, 2012 9:06:56 AM

Wasn't entirely sure where to put this but my computer's audio is provided by the HDMI connection to a Radeon graphics card so thought I would put it in here. Basically, my problem is that when I leave the computer unattended for a while and the monitor goes in to standby mode, the HDMI audio connection shows up as not plugged in anymore when I click on "Manage audio devices" from Control Panel. I can fix this by unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in but I don't really want to be doing this for years to come. Previously, when the Digital Audio connections from my motherboard were not disabled (by myself), one of these connections would become the default when the HDMI audio output dropped out and from the Volume control, sound was coming out but obviously I wasn't hearing anything because nothing was connected in that port. Any ideas?

More about : hdmi audio dropping

May 7, 2012 9:11:08 AM

System Specs:

ASUS P8Z68-V
Intel i5 2500K
Corsair 8GB 1600MHz
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
Sapphire HD 6950 1GB
Antec True Power 750W
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB HDD
Iiyama 22" E2273HDS
Windows 7 64 bit
May 7, 2012 2:24:18 PM

One thing I forgot to mention but you might have deduced it from my first post is that when I'm playing a game, the sound will continue to work so it only stops working when the computer goes idle for a while.
Related resources
May 8, 2012 11:41:05 PM

It's the new 12.4 Catalyst Driver. Downgrade to 12.3 and it'll work.
I had the same issue.
May 9, 2012 5:41:59 PM

Ok thanks, will try it out now.
May 9, 2012 6:25:21 PM

Worked like a charm, thanks very much!
!