NVidia graphics drivers disable the monitor

cchar

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
I wasn't sure what forum to use, so I'll try this one as this is a new build.

So I completed a new build this afternoon. Everything looks good. I turn it on, all comes on, Windows 7 (64-bit) installs with no issues. Then I install motherboard drivers from CD, no problems there.

[BTW, onboard video from motherboard was disabled in EUFI/BIOS]
Next step, install graphics drivers (because 800X600 Standard VGA is killing me). I try the CD that came with the card ( Asus GeForce GTX 670 ). I installed them with no problems. At the end of the install, it asked to restart (expected, no biggie).

After restart, I get the colored bar that goes back with the "Starting Windows" message. Then about the time it should come up to login prompt, the monitor goes black. Not like it crashed, but more like it went into a non-displayable resolution or some other weird mode that the monitor didn't like.

I restart into safe mode. uninstall the drivers and come back up in standard VGA again. I thought maybe disc had a bad set of drivers or something. So then I go to NVidia site and get latest drivers. Same problem.

Any ideas? I saw some other threads that seemed similar, but not quite the same. None of them helped.

Other info (if needed):
Graphics: Asus GeForce GTX 670 (see link above)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ( here )
Using the DVI input to LCD monitor (relatively new one, 24" widescreen with pretty good supported resolution)

I'd appreciate any ideas.

yes it would

all graphics cards have a graphics subsystem built in that allow them to function before a driver is installed . That subsystem is even standardized between nvidia and AMD so a card will always work with any ATX motherboard

The 3d section of your graphics card may be faulty

cchar

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
OK....that makes sense. Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll check with Newegg to see if they have any tips I can try before trying to RMA.

I have 3 other computers in this house, but they are all laptops. This is my first desktop in about 10 years, so I built up a monster. Wish I could test that GPU. :(

cchar

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Just for follow up and resolution purposes, let me update that I got the graphics card working now.

I'm honestly not sure what fixed it. I used onboard video and pulled the video card out to finish the build and tie up loose ends. After I pretty much had all up and working, I decided to give the graphics card one last try.

It worked fine first time through. I didn't even do anything different in the way I installed or drivers I used. I used the same ones downloaded back when I posted this. I can only guess that maybe there was some issue that was fixed with a Windows update. Other than that I can't think of anything that would have made a difference.

fais4u

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

wOw, Well i have the same problem but unfortanetly i hv tried almost everything & the same thing u said in ur last comment. but its not working either:(. hmm i think i don't hv that much luck :'(.

Well i dont get it when you said windows Update coz in Win7 everything is install itself. & i will just recopy your post for more advices.

Hope u read it :(.