Corsair builder PSU

smudge14

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Hey guys,

I am building a lower end PC (£500) and I want to get a PSU that is affordable and 500w is on the edge of what I need so I thought I would grab one that was also a little overpowered (you know a sort of buy now save later when I upgrade the GPU sort of thing. ) I don't want to pay big for a GPU and I saw this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w-corsair-builder-series-cx-85-eff-80-plus-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx-v231-psu

Its a good brand (even if its their lowest end product) and seems a good price. I had a look online and on this site and I didn't find much discussion about this brand of PSU. I was wondering if anyone of you had any experience of using them?

Thanks for your help!

Most of the stuff Corsair sells isn't actually made by them. This includes all of their PSUs.

The Corsair CX builder model PSUs are decent quality budget-oriented PSUs. For a lower end PC, a CX-500 should be enough. Usually. What graphics card and CPU are you getting?

smudge14

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Thanks for the feedbacks guys! I know corsair are good but very few reviews of this product line seem to exist.

I am using a 2gb 7850 GPU and an Intel Core i3 3220 CPU. I know a few people through MMO's who build computers they said a 500w PSU would work but advised it may be worth getting something with a bit more meat just to be on the safe side. Especially if I planned to upgrade the system in the future.

A CX500 is plenty for that system. Even a CX430 would work; both the Core i3-3220 and Radeon HD 7850 are frugal when it comes to power draw. The CX500 only rules out Crossfire, there's room for upgrades.

If you're thinking of adding a second graphics card down the line, a CX750 makes sense. Otherwise, it's simply overkill.