Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dimension 8300

Last response: in CPUs
November 8, 2012 12:58:19 AM

Hi all,
After searching throughout the forum I've come up with plenty of information on possible upgrades for my aging system. This is my current configuration.

XP SP3
Pentium 4 2.60GHZ
1.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6200

I'm aware that my system is nearly ten years old but I'm not in the market for a new system nor do I have the budget for it.
All I'm attempting to do is upgrade the system to its highest potential. I'm looking to upgrade the CPU to 3.4GHZ, 2GB of RAM (ordered), 400W power supply (ordered), and installing HIS Radeon HD 4670 IceQ Native HDMI 1 GB DDR3 AGP Graphics Card. I have searched ebay and just about everywhere I can think of for the CPU but some of the information about the CPU's is nearly a foreign language. I know the chip needs to be socket 478.

As a point of reference the system in its current configuration can barely play Battlefield 2 (severe lagging, and crashing)

Can anyone provide a link for a CPU that will work with my system. I don't want to order the wrong part.

More about : dimension 8300

a c 78 à CPUs
November 8, 2012 1:32:00 AM

Hi, yes, I'm aware that you've mentioned you don't have the money to buy a new system. That being said, my advice is to grin and bear it until you can afford a new system. Seriously, that is the best advice anyone can give you. That machine is best used as a paperweight.
Score
a c 78 à CPUs
November 8, 2012 1:33:53 AM

Another word of strong caution about the power supply. Some Dell Dimensions around that era had a serious issue. In that, while the main connector to the motherboard (P1 connector) conforms to ATX standards, the pinout is different. People have fried their machines because of this installing an aftermarket PSU onto Dell motherboard.

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=339053
Score
Related resources
November 8, 2012 2:12:04 AM

nekulturny said:
Another word of strong caution about the power supply. Some Dell Dimensions around that era had a serious issue. In that, while the main connector to the motherboard (P1 connector) conforms to ATX standards, the pinout is different. People have fried their machines because of this installing an aftermarket PSU onto Dell motherboard.

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=339053

Any advice about the CPU, I'll leave the power supply off the list of upgrades.
Score
a c 78 à CPUs
November 8, 2012 2:55:30 AM

Nym468 said:
Any advice about the CPU, I'll leave the power supply off the list of upgrades.

Well, more information is needed about the specific configuration you have. But honestly, that computer is a money pit.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/s...

In theory the best CPU that would work in that system is this one,

http://ark.intel.com/products/27499/Intel-Pentium-4-Pro...

But again, I really really don't think you will see a gainful improvement. And I wouldn't pay more than $20 for such an old CPU. And the thing with end of life computer parts is they can actually become more expensive, not cheaper. Also, Dell is very famous for "proprietary" componenets. Like the power supply thing I mentioned, I cannot guarantee it will work if you can get ahold of one of those.

Score
a c 78 à CPUs
November 8, 2012 4:01:16 AM

bignastyid said:
Whats your upgrade budget? This desktop is only $400 and would run circles around the 8300. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Yea, no kidding lol. Although, you can keep windows 8. If the OP is still running XP SP3, (presumably haven't even touched Vista or 7), hes in for a really rude awakening when he sees that piece of trash Microsoft just put out.
Score
November 8, 2012 5:47:45 AM

Budget wise I'm looking at max $200. Which without the power supply I won't need the new graphics card because it requires 400W. I think I managed to find an appropriate CPU

I've seen Vista and 7, I'm not a fan of either, 8 is probably a nightmare.
Score
a c 116 à CPUs
November 8, 2012 6:03:42 AM

Save it, dumping any money into your current system is just a waste, you could get the fastest cpu your mother board support(probably a 3Gz P4) and the performance increase would be almost unnoticeable. You may want to check out Craigslist and look for a used system for~ $200 you should be able to pickup something with atleast a Core2duo. I see them all the time on CL.
Score

Best solution

a c 78 à CPUs
November 8, 2012 1:49:19 PM

Nym468 said:
Budget wise I'm looking at max $200. Which without the power supply I won't need the new graphics card because it requires 400W. I think I managed to find an appropriate CPU

I've seen Vista and 7, I'm not a fan of either, 8 is probably a nightmare.

Save up 400 and you get a system like bignasty linked that is several times more powerful than your current system could ever hope to be even with the best upgrades you could give it. (And thats saying a lot considering its an AMD Bulldozer lol) Spending $200 on a 10 year old machine to upgrade it is really a terrible idea. Sure, I'm not yet an expert, but I'm a 2nd year Dean's List student in this computer shtuff if that adds any credibility at all to what I'm saying. I just would hate to see you dump money into that thing when its not going to net you any gainful improvement.

As to Windows... Yes, I know a lot of people are still clutching tightly to their Windows XP. Its hands down the best and most stable OS's under Microsoft's belt. But XP itself at this point is now to the point of being antiquated. Its time to let go.

As to your issue with games, even if you upgrade that CPU to that 3.06GHZ northwood, you will find that even still a lot of games won't play. Its still a 32 bit single core CPU, some games won't even boot up on a single core.
November 8, 2012 9:13:59 PM

Thanks for all the information. I'm just gonna stick to maxing out the RAM cause that's relatively cheap and I'll start saving up for a whole new system. Thanks again.
Score
November 8, 2012 9:15:10 PM

Best answer selected by Nym468.
Score
!