Setting up my Linksys N router with Uverse gateway

shaunucla

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
So we just had Att Uverse installed in our apartment and the 2wire box has not been too reliable. I was trying to set up my Linksys router to provide an additional wireless network but i was having some problems with the set-up.

What would be the best way to do this? I would prefer to have both the Uverse and the Linksys wireless networks simultaneously working.

Thank you for your help

go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "gateway" -- usually something like 192.168.1.1. Type exit to close the black form.

connect only a computer to the router you are trying to convert to a AP and log in

set up the wireless security

disable DHCP and change the LAN IP to match your Gateway's IP but ending in .253

now connect one of the four LAN port to the main router via network cable.

meadmeriser

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Here's anything you need! It literally walks you through what to do on everything, except the router side specifically for your router. It helps because you can just disable the DHCP on the modem if you desire (the best solution!).

http://www.sbbala.com/uverse/

Note: The 2Wire Gateway can experience surges during electrical storms over the copper lines and this will transmit through the network cables, and it can fry a router.

shaunucla

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
hmm, ive done all of that and the wireless connection still drops for my roommates from time to time. I have a cat5e cable running into my room and i have not had a problem.

the default gateway of the u-verse router is 192.168.1.254 and i set the linksys to 192.168.1.253. I turned off dhcp on the linksys and have also set the 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands to wide. I have also decided to use google's DNS servers instead of ATT's.

Is there some sort of tool that i can use that can show me the reason for the wireless connection dropping?