Sign in with
Your question

[Quick Advice] Silverstone Strider Plus 850W vs OCZ ZX Series 850W

Last response: in Systems
July 1, 2012 6:02:33 AM

Hey guys, just need quick advice on which you think is better of the two powersupplies for this build:

CPU: i5 3570K
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
GPU: Sapphire HD7970 OC
HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
RAM: G.Skill Ares F3-1600C9D-8GAO 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Case: Corsair Carbide 400R Black Mid-Tower Case

Silverstone Strider Plus 850W ST85F-P $159 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

OCZ Technology ZX Series 850W $169 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

I already ordered the Silverstone Strider Plus 850W ST85F-P, but it hasn't been processed yet, so i could possibly change it. So please be quick with the advice.

Thank you
Related resources
July 1, 2012 6:09:27 AM

That's what I get for typing this at 1:10 in the morning.

The XFX 550W is a better bet.
m
l
July 1, 2012 6:32:22 AM

I'm only concerned with the 2 psu i'm talking about, and i know that i don't need that much watts, i simply want to get one of the 2 power supplies i listed, and want a 850W one for moving it into new builds later on. However thanks for recommending another power supply.

Basically need two questions answered:
1. Are they both quality power supplies?
2. Which is better? (and if the OCZ, it is worthwhile changing to it from the silverstone).
m
l
July 1, 2012 6:43:17 AM

I just answered that. Read post 2. Besides, 850W is not going to help in the future more than a 750W. Power requirements will continue to plummet. The days of PSUs over 750W are long gone.
m
l
July 1, 2012 4:03:39 PM

The OCZ ZX Series has performed quite well in reviews, I believe it does perform better than the Silverstone Strider Plus 850W, but I would buy the Silverstone due to it being quieter and having higher build quality.

azeem40 said:
The ZX is better simply because it actually provides it rated wattage as its rated amperage.

What does that mean? You make it sound like the Silverstone doesn't.
m
l
July 1, 2012 8:00:27 PM

Silvune said:
The OCZ ZX Series has performed quite well in reviews, I believe it does perform better than the Silverstone Strider Plus 850W, but I would buy the Silverstone due to it being quieter and having higher build quality.

What does that mean? You make it sound like the Silverstone doesn't.

Thanks Silvune, yeah i don't know whether it is worthwhile changing up the order for the OCZ ZX PSU.

So long as the Silverstone Strider Plus is a solid powersupply then i don't mind. You said that it is quieter and has better build quality, are you sure about that, and where do you know that from?

Thanks with regard to the question you asked as well, as i didn't really understand the point azeem40 put forth, as though to say that the silverstone is not a 850W (No disrespect intended, so please don't take it that way).

and would love to hear other peoples thoughts.
m
l
July 1, 2012 8:08:34 PM

It does not. It provides 50W less than stated.
m
l
July 1, 2012 8:46:50 PM

-Naz- said:
Thanks Silvune, yeah i don't know whether it is worthwhile changing up the order for the OCZ ZX PSU.

So long as the Silverstone Strider Plus is a solid powersupply then i don't mind. You said that it is quieter and has better build quality, are you sure about that, and where do you know that from?

Thanks with regard to the question you asked as well, as i didn't really understand the point azeem40 put forth, as though to say that the silverstone is not a 850W (No disrespect intended, so please don't take it that way).

and would love to hear other peoples thoughts.

I understand now, the Silverstone has 67A +12V rail (804W), the OCZ has a 70A +12V rail (840W). I would have thought this didn't matter seeing as you don't need more 750W...
Personally I'm fine with a unit's +12V wattage being within ~50W of the number stated on the label. More than 100W starts to be a bit dishonest IMO.

But anyway to the noise and build quality. The OCZ ZX Series 850W uses a Yate Loon D14BH-12, which is a fairly high quality fan but it idles at about 900/1000RPM, no lower. Thankfully the fan on the 1000W model has only been measured going as high as 1700RPM.
The Silverstone uses a Young Lin Tech DFB132512H and rates the unit's noise level between 19-36dBA. The fan on the 1000W version has been measured varying between 850 and 1200RPM, although the fan is capable of reaching 1700RPM, however I don't believe it would ever get that high. So it's quieter in both idle and load.

Build quality is mostly down to the respective manufacturers; the OCZ is built by a company called Great Wall, while the SilverStone is built by Enhance who are quite well respected by people who review PSUs for a living.
Maybe Great Wall would be more well regarded, or this would be more obvious, if more of their units had been tested in the past or more of their past units had been as high quality as the ZX Series. Enhance have a good track record, Great Wall don't, at least not yet. But even so, from reading reviews of Enhance built units they are definitely better than Great Wall.
m
l
!