Having trouble installing new cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven20l

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I am having some major problems installing this new cpu
Mobo FIC P4-865pe PRO
New cpu - Pentium 4 3.2GHZ 500/800MHZ(old one was a 2.4ghz)
Ram - corsair xms 400mhz, 4 of the 512mb sticks(2gb total)
Video card - Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT
PSU - 480wat
OS - Windows xp pro
What happened so far
I put in the new cpu, computer and windows booted up normal, and a dialog box popped up saying new hardware was installed and i need to reboot windows, so i did.
And that's when everything went to hell.

Computer would start but before getting to the windows xp logo, it would say missing file hal.dll. and some other file missing like ntdr or whatever. i forgot.

So i decided i would just reinstall windows xp pro, but its not helping either. It either just reboots the pc by its self during the "Setup is loading files" or freezes on "setup is loading files (IEEE 1394 Bus OHCI Compliant Port Driver), and i think maybe some other file it freezes on as well.

I really hope someone can help me out, and would greatly appreciate the help anyone has to offer.

Sounds a bit like a memory problem. Check to make sure that each stick is properly seated, if nothing found try removing one stick at a time to see if that makes a difference. The other possibility is your HDD developing a fault. Everything running a bit faster, so a marginal condition developed into a fault...

steven20l

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I have been trying to re install windows, but it keeps freezing or gets an error when trying to. I finally got windows to come up with my old cpu but its still saying there's missing system files. One of the errors said something about checking for a bios update. I don't know where to get one, and never have done a bios update.
My bios - Poenix-AwardBios V6.00PG
Mobo - FIC P4-865PE Pro

steven20l

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Ok got windows xp pro on a new hdd, put in new cpu..it starts up fine, and the box saying "Windows has finished installing new devices. The software that supports your device requires that your restart your computer. You must restart your computer before the new settings will take effect." Last time i click yes i got all these missing system file errors or computer just kept rebooting its self before it would get to the windows xp logo. Anything i should do before i restart?

Pray that it was the HDD and all will go well... The HDD would have been my next recommendation to check for errors...

steven20l

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I think i'll try contacting them with the email, thanks for that.
I restarted my pc, and same thing happened, keeps restarting it self and when i try to re install windows it error outs. Going to try removing the video card this time and try to re install, said something about changing display adapters.

steven20l

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Ok nothing is working atm, i emailed the company so going to wait for a reply. Do you know of any motherboard that wont have any problems like this? I know their old, maybe i can find one for $50

steven20l

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Alright thanks dodger46, i'll look into it.

And hafijur, i know what's out there, only reason im improving this "rubbish" is so that i can give it to a a younger sibling. I'll build one for my self later.

Status
Not open for further replies.