Sign in with
Your question

Intel Pentium B960

Last response: in CPUs
November 8, 2012 6:16:20 AM

Hello, i recently received an acer aspire 4752z-4492 as a birthday present. though the computer seems decent, it wasn't exactly what i was looking for. I was wondering if there was a better cpu i could swap out for the B960 that came with. I have already upgraded the ram and it got me wondering if i might be able to find a compatible cpu that is better than the one that came standard. as a gift, it's a nice thought, but being a rather computer loving person i wasn't expecting an entry-level laptop. i'd love to ditch it and get something more my style, but i'd be undermining the gift and risking hurt feelings. by upgrading, it still looks like the laptop i was given, but would act more like the laptop i'd want. am I stuck with this thing, or am i a fortunate soul? thanks in advance, daniel-

More about : intel pentium b960

a b à CPUs
November 8, 2012 6:34:40 AM

Well, what do you actually want to do on your laptop, Gaming? or just Normal use?
m
l
November 8, 2012 11:07:25 AM

it will void your warranty as you need to open it up and find out whether your cpu is soldered to mobo or not. In the latter case you can upgrade with any other cpu compatible with your mobo.
Personally i own a B960, and i think it is a very decent performer in daily usage tasks and almost unnoticieable difference in speed compared with a 3rd gen i5 i own too.
I even play few years old titles games on it with low settings, but if you plan to use it for gaming purposes i think the bottleneck will not be the processor but the lack of discreet graphics card.
So getting a new processor might not be practically beneficial. And if your concern is gaming then i would suggest you return it and get a new laptop with a discreet gpu.
m
l
Related resources
November 8, 2012 1:43:40 PM

I don't have any specific purpose for the laptop. i haven't really been up on the latest games, the last graphics heavy game i bought was The Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion and that was years ago now. I did however spend a good bit of money upgrading my desktop just to run that game and have since learned my lesson. that $50 game turned into a $350 dollar game with a new GPU. and like I said, it was the last real graphics heavy game i bought...in hindsight probably a bad decision. I haven't even tried oblivion on the laptop, but i don't think it would far too well.

To answer the question, i suppose it's just an everyday, normal use kind of laptop. i web-browse while multitasking a lot, make home movies, skype with family, and (haven't yet but) plan on hooking it up to my flat screen via it's HDMI output. I guess i've just heard good things about the i5 and i7 processors and wondered if there was a possibility they could swap out. I haven't yet completely taken apart the computer to look at the cpu and don't know whether it's soldered in or not. is there a site that might tell me what motherboard i have and perhaps which processors would be compatible?

perhaps i'll just use the computer for a year or so to appreciate it as a gift, upgrade what i can, and then try and sell it with upgraded parts in hopes to boost it's price tag and not end up selling it for 100 bucks. That way i can get something with a discreet GPU. thanks again for the advice! any suggestions for that mobo/cpu compatibility website?

oh, i've also attached a link to a screen shot of my "window's experience" listing what my laptop is working with.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/101282096/windowsexperience.jpg
m
l
November 8, 2012 1:51:59 PM

track_cheetah said:
I don't have and specific purpose for the laptop. i haven't really been up on the latest games, the last graphics heavy game i bought was The Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion and that was years ago now. I did however spend a good bit of money upgrading my desktop just to run that game and have since learned my lesson. that $50 game turned into a $350 dollar game with a new GPU. and like I said, it was the last real graphics heavy game i bought... probably a bad decision. I haven't even tried oblivion on the laptop, but i don't think it would far too well.

To answer the question, i suppose it's just an everyday, normal use kind of laptop. i web-browse while multitasking a lot, make home movies, skype with family, and (haven't yet but) plan on hooking it up to my flat screen via it's HDMI output. I guess i've just heard good things about the i5 and i7 processors and wondered if there was a possibility they could swap out. I haven't yet completely taken apart the computer to look at the cpu and don't know whether it's soldered in or not. is there a site that might tell me what motherboard i have and perhaps which processors would be compatible?

perhaps i'll just use the computer for a year or so to appreciate it as a gift, upgrade what i can, and then try and sell it with upgraded parts in hopes to boost it's price tag and not end up selling it for 100 bucks. That way i can get something with a discreet GPU. thanks again for the advice! any suggestions for that mobo/cpu compatibility website?

oh, i've also attached a link to a screen shot of my "window's experience" listing what my laptop is working with.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/101282096/windowsexperience.jpg

i think multitasking may make your cpu bottleneck, though you should try using/running all things together and finding out yourself if the machine/cpu is lagging or not. If lagging then you may consider upgrading.
It is better if you take advantage of your warranty before going for an upgrade if you decide so.
Also you may find out more about cpu soldered or not and compatible cpus by calling the acer support.
m
l
!