Buying new cpu for new build, need advice

dablazer

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Hello people of toms hardware. Im about to purchase my first major computer build. Im debating on whether i should get an intel i5 3570k or an AMD FX-8320 vishera. I heard the 8320 is on par with the i5. Which one should i buy? Price is a factor, but ill go with the best choice. Also, im not quite sure on which motherboard to buy if i do get the fx-8320. i was originally thinking of buying an ASrock z77 extreme4 for the intel, but i have no clue about amd motherboards. any suggestions for both would be appreciated.

P.S. try to keep the motherboard around $130

abbadon_34

Distinguished
They are very close, with most prefering Intel these days because they has held the lead the last couple years. If you already have an Am3+ board an 8320/50 is an an easy meaningful upgrade. More complicated with a build from scratch. Asrock and Asus make good boards for each.

Be more specific about your upgrade goals, what you have, what you want, you get plenty of answers

dablazer

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012

sorry about not being specific, my build is aimed toward gaming. My planned parts list are:
RAIDMAX ATX-321 mid tower
sapphire hd 7850 oc edition (already purchased)
corsair cx600 600w psu (already purchased)
ocz vertex 4 128gb ssd
g.skill sniper 8gb ram
wd blue 1tb drive
lg dvd burner
coolermaster hyper 212 evo

only thing thats left is the cpu and mobo

hbeduryan818

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

The 8320 is on par and has an advantage in high threaded applications and $50 cheaper gett that and an asus sabertooth or m5 a99x evo. Very good boards and easy overclockable

Sigh. You really are pushing the 83xx's down everyone's thoughts, aren't you? Every single thread I see you post in is 83xx this and 83xx that.

For a purely gaming based rig, the 3570K (and Intel, in general) is always the best choice, if you can afford it. There's not much debating in that.

Budget matters, sure, but if Intel fits into a person's budget, let them do it.

hbeduryan818

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

OP didnt mention any gaming. And he asked if the 8320 is on par with the i5. So i dont see how i mentioned it and why are you on every post im in

With a 7850, he's gaming. There's no reason to get such a card otherwise.

And I read every single thread posted in this section. Helps me learn, if nothing else.

hbeduryan818

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

Well if hes on a budget stick with amd 8320

I don't disagree with that. I'm just saying that the 3570K is the best choice if it fits into his budget.

The 8320 is just "good enough", and if that's all he needs, he can go for it. No real shame in "good enough" performance, it's just not the best choice if you can afford better.

hbeduryan818

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

Looking at current soecs he doesnt look like hes on a budget :D

dablazer

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012

i actually am on a pretty tight budget, believe it or not. I bought the power supply and the card for my current hp computer, but im going to sell it to finance this build. looking at the reviews and such, stretching a little bit for the i5 seems like a good way to go. I was just curious when i heard about the new piledrivers.

hbeduryan818

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

The pd is a very capable cpu if you are on a budget go with the 8320 and dont look back

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Bulldozen was a big dissappointment, Piledrive was what Bulldozer should have been. Low end look to AMD (integrated graphics AMD ONLY) high end look to intel. Newest piledriver it's toss up depending on application.

And damn, let's not get a personal I just don't have the time for trolls. Remember it's all about perfermance, not brand, else we'd all be using Apple :)