Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading AMD Radeon HD 6570 (and PS?) -- $250 Budget

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 7, 2012 6:04:29 PM

GOAL: I am hoping to, by means of upgrading my GPU (and probably PS, if required), be able to run at my monitor's native 1920x1200 resolution with "Ultra" settings for both WoW and Diablo III, if possible. I have historically run the games in "windowed mode" as it seems to offer better performance than "full screen," and at 1440x900 resolution. I run with just a single monitor, and do not anticipate running multiple monitors any time in the foreseeable future.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Immediate
BUDGET RANGE: Up to $250 (after rebates, inclusive of replacement power supply if, as I expect, it will be required)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming first and foremost, primarily WoW and Diablo III.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: AMD Radeon HD 6570 and 300W Internal ATX power supply

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: HPE-510y is my system (that page shows more detailed info on the stock GPU/PS, as well as everything else. The only upgrade I've made to date is the addition of a Crucial M4 128GB drive, which acts as my boot drive and to hold WoW and Diablo III. The slow-as-molasses OEM 1.5 TB drive holds the non-essentials.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Prefer amazon.com, though have dealt comfortably with newegg. I am in the USA.

PARTS PREFERENCES: To be candid, I don't know enough about the options to really have a preference -- I'm just looking to get the best bang for my buck, provided my budget and the other components of my system would accommodate a reasonable improvement in a GPU/PS upgrade. I don't mind spending a few dollars more on the more reputable, reliable brands as with things like this there's a 'peace of mind' you lose when going with generic or off-brands.

OVERCLOCKING: Probably not, unless an absolute novice could/should do it. SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Again, I'm a novice. I hope I'm right in my thinking that this involves using multiple GPU's, and if that's the case, it's not in the plans for me.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Monitor's native resolution is 1920x1200, though I've been running WoW at 1440x900 in "Windowed Mode" at the preset "Good" settings level with fair performance (50-60FPS in 'quiet' environments, 25-30FPS in active raids). I only use a single monitor.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I know that in buying a 'pre-built' PC I will be somewhat limited in terms of what upgrades can be made (in part due to physical space), but am hoping that there are some options out there in terms of compatible GPU/PS that will achieve my goals. While I can afford up to $250 towards these items, I do want to say that if I can maximize my performance (given what may be limiting factors in terms of my CPU, memory, etc) for these two games for less, I'm not averse to spending less ;-)

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to provide.
a c 254 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b C Monitor
May 7, 2012 9:40:14 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

The above chart may help you see where your card is compared to others and what kind of upgrade you can do. A s general practice you try to go up at least two levels to make an upgrade worth while. In the event that your card is very old tech wise then it might be better to go up even more levels to be sure that you can play the games that you want to.
m
l
a c 254 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b C Monitor
May 7, 2012 9:49:37 PM

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition OC 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card (11201-02-20G)
$149.99 and a $15 rebate makes the final price $134.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
$84.99

CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
$69.99 and a $19 rrebate makes the final price $59.99

You could consider these parts for your upgrade and while the SeaSonic psu is a little more it is the better psu but if you want to save a few bucks then you can go fior the Corsair.
m
l
!