Beginner's question on PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

f847

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Does it matter if I just use ONE 6 pin -> molex cable directly to the PSU, and then use adapters to power everything off the same cable ? ( 6 fans, 2 optical drives, 2 HDD and 2 SDD)

(eg: use molex to 3 pin for fans, molex to SATA for optical drive and hdd/ssd)

Solution
Than you're better off leaving those molex be, i too have a bunch of those with no use.
If you run out of fan plugs on the Motherboard or if you just want prefer to plug them into a molex you can no problem, you won't be able to see or control the fan speed but that's about it.
As for the rest you're better off giving them the best power they can have, so to be sure just have them connected in their original cables.

f847

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Okay I'll just keep it simple then :)

My Psu is actually a XFX 1050W, only reason I am asking this is because there are tons of molex left over at the back of the mobo, and I am planning to sleeve my cables, so If I could run that many component off with one 6 pin, I could save a lot of time.

But thanks for all the answers :)

SharperZeroCool

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
Than you're better off leaving those molex be, i too have a bunch of those with no use.
If you run out of fan plugs on the Motherboard or if you just want prefer to plug them into a molex you can no problem, you won't be able to see or control the fan speed but that's about it.
As for the rest you're better off giving them the best power they can have, so to be sure just have them connected in their original cables.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts