Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Pentium G860 and AMD HD 7750 - Will the CPU be a bottleneck in games?

Last response: in CPUs
November 8, 2012 12:27:04 PM

I'm considering the 'Entry - Modest' Budget computer builds on the Logical Increments Guide (Imgur mirror link). The 'Entry' category pairs the Intel Pentium G630 with the AMD HD 7750, while the 'Modest' build pairs the Intel Pentium G860 with the AMD HD 7770.

My goal is be able to make the PC run games that will be released until next year at high (not necessarily maximum) settings at a *1366 x 768 resolution* (relatively lower than the usual high-budget gaming build). Games that will be played include: Skyrim, Borderlands 2 and Max Payne 3. The budget for this won't be going higher than the 'Modest' price at the Logical Increments Guide (around ~470 USD). I'm willing to take the 'Entry' build instead, if at 1366x768 resolution, I won't be seeing significant performance improvements over the 'Modest' build.

I'm building the PC for a friend. I already have an AMD Athlon II X3 440 3.0 GHZ + AMD HD 6750 + 4GB RAM which I bought last year (also based on a Logical Increments guide recommendation at that time). The same friend says that the performance of this PC is acceptable, considering its price (I'm able to set most games to High settings at 1366 x 768 resolution). He'd like something similar (or a bit better) at the price range I mentioned. I understand that the current Sandy Bridge Intel Pentiums are better than my AMD Athlon II, if it's GHZ for GHZ, but my concern is that they're dual core and have no Hyper-threading.

My questions:

• Will the processors at each build category (G630/G860), being dual-core and having no Hyper-threading, be a bottleneck to their respective recommended GPUs (HD 7750/7770) with current games?
• What about if the G860 (modest) is used with the HD 7750 (entry)?
• If yes, should I consider a multi-core AMD CPU instead at around the same price (and preferably not higher) as the G860 (~$75)? What would you recommend?
• Is the performance difference between the G630 and the G860 significant (at 1366 x 768 resolution and with the HD 7750)? (If not, I'll just go with the G630.)
November 8, 2012 12:46:41 PM

Hyper-threading usually just means a 1-2% increase in performance at best.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 8, 2012 12:52:06 PM

as you can see in my sig, i have the exact same setup as your so called 'entry category'.
ie the G630 and 7750. and its a great budget gaming setup. i play at 1440*900 most games are easily playable on high while some on max settings.
as for modest category the G860 and 7770 will obviously give you a little better gaming performance as the gpu and cpu are better.
mostly the gpu matters here.
i suggest you get the modest category pc as it will last a little bit longer than entry pc.
but the difference between two is not significant enough.
so lf you want to save some cash then get entry pc as its still is a very good system.
as for your question about bottlenecking, no neither of the cpu will bottleneck neither card.
as for both cpu being dual core and lacking hyper threading dont worry as a dual core cpu is more than enough for gaming.
and most games dont even use hyperthreading so dont worry about it either.
and dont think a quad core from amd will give you better performance than intel dual core because it wont. dont think that more cores is better for gaming.
i hope i havr resolved most of your query
Related resources
November 8, 2012 12:53:10 PM

SharperZeroCool said:
Hyper-threading usually just means a 1-2% increase in performance at best.

I see. What do you think of them being dual core? Would they be a bottleneck to the GPUs I mentioned?

mohit9206 said:
as you can see in my sig, i have the exact same setup as your so called 'entry category'.
ie the G630 and 7750. and its a great budget gaming setup. i play at 1440*900 most games are easily playable on high while some on max settings.

Hello fellow budget PC gamer and thanks for sharing that. =)

Can you give an example of games that you can set at max, and which you can only set to 'High'? (Just to give me an idea of how my system will also perform.)
Score
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2012 1:06:59 PM

games like skyrim, burnout paradise, call of duty, walking dead, crysis 2, max payne 3, assassins creed 2, etc and pretty much all games i can max out on my system at 1440*900.
the only games i cant max out is saints row 3 coz the game itself doesnt run well at all on any pc.
Score
November 8, 2012 1:31:35 PM

The difference between the G630 and the G860 is not major, we are talking about a processor running at 2.7GHZ and the other at 3.0GHZ.
From what i saw around the 7770 can be a much better graphics card so i would recommend you going with it and either of the processors.

Just be sure to pick the right memory for the processor since they support memories with different speeds.
G630 - 1066MHZ
G860 - 1333MHZ
Score
November 18, 2012 5:21:34 AM

Best answer selected by dazed_00.
Score
!