opening screen

how do i get windows xp to open directly to my desktop without the opening
screen where i have to click my name. ths must have come with an automatic
update and i dont want it. thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about opening screen

    Get a copy of PowerToys for Windows XP (TweakUI for Windows Xp) and in the
    Logon section set Autologon
    hth
    george

    "windowwasher" <windowwasher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > how do i get windows xp to open directly to my desktop without the opening
    > screen where i have to click my name. ths must have come with an
    > automatic
    > update and i dont want it. thanks

    Hi,

    To automatically log-on to Windows, type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2 at Start/Run and press enter. Under
    the "User" tab, uncheck the box "Users must enter a username...." and hit apply. Supply the username
    and password under which you want your computer to Auto-logon everytime and OK your way out.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "windowwasher" <windowwasher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > how do i get windows xp to open directly to my desktop without the opening
    > screen where i have to click my name. ths must have come with an automatic
    > update and i dont want it. thanks

    I have the same question as everyone else here...I want to be able to go
    straight to my desk top, don't want to have to log on. I did the run 'control
    userpasswords' thing. I also tried and downloaded the TweakUI but after I
    downloaded it, I can open it and run it, the thing says program installed.
    But I can't do anything in it, only open and keep running it. What do I do???

    "george" wrote:

    > Get a copy of PowerToys for Windows XP (TweakUI for Windows Xp) and in the
    > Logon section set Autologon
    > hth
    > george
    >

    > "windowwasher" <windowwasher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > how do i get windows xp to open directly to my desktop without the opening
    > > screen where i have to click my name. ths must have come with an
    > > automatic
    > > update and i dont want it. thanks

    Run TweakUI, in the list of options on the left click the plus sign in front
    of Logon, Click on Autologon.
    Now on the right side and put a check in the box for Logon automatically at
    system Startup
    Next fill in the username you want to use to automatically logon at startup
    (will already be filled with your currently logged on username)
    Domain will already reflect your computername
    Click on Set password and fill in the correct password for the userid you
    entered. It is best to *not* have a blank password.
    Click OK and then click Apply and exit out of TweakUI.

    hth

    george

    "andrew12" <andrew12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have the same question as everyone else here...I want to be able to go
    > straight to my desk top, don't want to have to log on. I did the run
    > 'control
    > userpasswords' thing. I also tried and downloaded the TweakUI but after I
    > downloaded it, I can open it and run it, the thing says program installed.
    > But I can't do anything in it, only open and keep running it. What do I
    > do???
    >
    > "george" wrote:
    >
    >> Get a copy of PowerToys for Windows XP (TweakUI for Windows Xp) and in
    >> the
    >> Logon section set Autologon
    >> hth
    >> george
    >>

    >> "windowwasher" <windowwasher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > how do i get windows xp to open directly to my desktop without the
    >> > opening
    >> > screen where i have to click my name. ths must have come with an
    >> > automatic
    >> > update and i dont want it. thanks

    So then, what is the problem, if you tried them both?

    Re-Cap:

    1. Go to Start/Run and type in: control userpasswords2 and press ok.

    2. On the Users tab, left click your user name then clear the Users Must
    Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer check box and then click
    OK.

    3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the "user name
    and password" for the account you want to be logged on each time you start
    your computer.

    Added note: (Alex MVP)

    If you want to logon to one of the other users, hold down shift as the
    system boots up.

    Tip:

    Add Control UserPasswords2 to the Control Panel (Line 1)

    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP