how do i get windows xp to open directly to my desktop without the opening
screen where i have to click my name. ths must have come with an automatic
update and i dont want it. thanks

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Get a copy of PowerToys for Windows XP (TweakUI for Windows Xp) and in the
Logon section set Autologon
hth
george

"windowwasher" <windowwasher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how do i get windows xp to open directly to my desktop without the opening
> screen where i have to click my name. ths must have come with an
> automatic
> update and i dont want it. thanks

Hi,

To automatically log-on to Windows, type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2 at Start/Run and press enter. Under
the "User" tab, uncheck the box "Users must enter a username...." and hit apply. Supply the username
and password under which you want your computer to Auto-logon everytime and OK your way out.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"windowwasher" <windowwasher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how do i get windows xp to open directly to my desktop without the opening
> screen where i have to click my name. ths must have come with an automatic
> update and i dont want it. thanks

I have the same question as everyone else here...I want to be able to go
straight to my desk top, don't want to have to log on. I did the run 'control
userpasswords' thing. I also tried and downloaded the TweakUI but after I
downloaded it, I can open it and run it, the thing says program installed.
But I can't do anything in it, only open and keep running it. What do I do???

"george" wrote:

> Get a copy of PowerToys for Windows XP (TweakUI for Windows Xp) and in the
> Logon section set Autologon
> hth
> george
>

> "windowwasher" <windowwasher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > how do i get windows xp to open directly to my desktop without the opening
> > screen where i have to click my name. ths must have come with an
> > automatic
> > update and i dont want it. thanks

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Run TweakUI, in the list of options on the left click the plus sign in front
of Logon, Click on Autologon.
Now on the right side and put a check in the box for Logon automatically at
system Startup
Next fill in the username you want to use to automatically logon at startup
(will already be filled with your currently logged on username)
Domain will already reflect your computername
Click on Set password and fill in the correct password for the userid you
entered. It is best to *not* have a blank password.
Click OK and then click Apply and exit out of TweakUI.

hth

george

"andrew12" <andrew12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same question as everyone else here...I want to be able to go
> straight to my desk top, don't want to have to log on. I did the run
> 'control
> userpasswords' thing. I also tried and downloaded the TweakUI but after I
> downloaded it, I can open it and run it, the thing says program installed.
> But I can't do anything in it, only open and keep running it. What do I
> do???
>
> "george" wrote:
>
>> Get a copy of PowerToys for Windows XP (TweakUI for Windows Xp) and in
>> the
>> Logon section set Autologon
>> hth
>> george
>>

>> "windowwasher" <windowwasher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > how do i get windows xp to open directly to my desktop without the
>> > opening
>> > screen where i have to click my name. ths must have come with an
>> > automatic
>> > update and i dont want it. thanks

kelly

So then, what is the problem, if you tried them both?

Re-Cap:

1. Go to Start/Run and type in: control userpasswords2 and press ok.

2. On the Users tab, left click your user name then clear the Users Must
Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer check box and then click
OK.

3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the "user name
and password" for the account you want to be logged on each time you start
your computer.

Added note: (Alex MVP)

If you want to logon to one of the other users, hold down shift as the
system boots up.

Tip:

Add Control UserPasswords2 to the Control Panel (Line 1)

In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP