Lines through screen

Hello all, I have just put together my first PC and when I booted it up there were horizontal lines running through the entire display even at post. At first I assumed this was a driver issue so I just brushed it aside and went ahead and installed windows 7 with all these lines anyways. Once I installed windows I immediately installed the driver for the Intel HD 4000 Integrated Graphics which made things worse because in addition to the lines now my screen was flashing like a strobe light. Is this a software issue or a hardware issue? As I said before this is my first build so I have no idea where I might've messed up. Once thing that confused me a bit was when connecting the power to the mother board, there was a part by the CPU that was 4pins only. My PSU didn't have any 4pins only but it did have an 8 pin(4 + 4) so I am using half of that to power the cpu. I don't know if that could be an issue or not. Please help me, Thanks!

My hardware:
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core w/ Intel HD Graphics 3000
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
HD: Samsung 830 series 128gb SSD
PSU: Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply

I am in the process of getting a GTX 550 Ti for my gpu so this problem might go away but if its an issue with hardware I'd like to know so I can return it for a new one.
4 answers Last reply
More about lines screen
  1. First things to check:

1) Re-seat the video card.
    2) Test it with a different monitor cable.
    3) Test it with a different monitor.
  2. I've tried all of that except the different monitor because I only have one. However I've hooked up my laptop to the monitor and it works just fine.
  3. Have you made sure that your BIOS settings are setup properly?
  4. It probably is the Integrated card or whatever you have, I have the same problem on my Radon HD 5770, but i fixed it by plugging the monitor into the other DVI port.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs