AMD FX 6300 - i5 3450 gaming?

d1versify

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012
AMD FX 6300 (149 euros) with Gigabyte GA-990FX (135 euros)

or

Intel Core i5 3450 (180 euros) with a cheaper motherboard (around 100 euros?)

Well you could say its just 30 more euros and get a better motherboard with the i5 , but ive exceeded my budget limit too much, and cant go any more :(

What websites are you shopping at and in what country? And what video card are you pairing up with this system to play what games and at what resolution?

These are important questions which need to be taken into account. If you're playing at lower resolutions and using a lower end video card, there is little to no point in a more expensive CPU.

d1versify

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012

Im getting Gigabyte 7870 HD , willing to play at 1920x.... resolution , games like DOTA2, CODs, WOW, and some new ones! Well im going to play new games as well, i know those games dont need a monster PC, but since i wont afford a new one for the next 5-6 years, i thought i may have to get a good one.

You could look at this site http://www.skroutz.gr/c/31/motherboards-mhtrikes/f/292271/Intel.html

I know its greek, but you choose the criteria on the left and see the original names spelled in English and ofcourse the price ! I would like something around 90 - 105 euros if possible cuz i exceeded my badget way too much! Thank you !

bloodmage7

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Go for i5. It beats AMD in gaming.
As 3450 cannot be overclocked you can go for H77 MOBO.
7870 should be fine for you to play at 1920 when paired with 3540.

d1versify

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012
oh my... sorry guys i meant 2500k :(((( lol sorry about that ! im just new with hardware and got confused with all the research ive done so far. My question would be :

AMD FX 6300 with Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD3
or
i5 2500k with a cheaper motherboard like Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 ??

sorry about the mistake lol

bloodmage7

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
It's ok. :)
You into overclocking? If you want to overclock then you might want to buy an expensive mobo.
Though at stock speed 2500k will beat 6300 easily.
Go for 2500k and a H67 mobo or maybe h61 mobo. You won't be able to overclock on these.

d1versify

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012
ok ill get as much specific i can

I want this PC for :
1. Steam games (DOTA2, Call of duty) , World of Warcraft , Starcraft2, maybe some new good MMOs and new good games ofcourse
2. Watch movies in 1080p
3. NOT for overclocking , since i dont know how to do it or maybe a friend of mine overcloaks it a little lol
4. NOT for storage (i have another PC for downloads)
5. 5-6 years

So this AMD system seems more balanced right? A good motherboard with an 6300.
You suggesting an expensive motherboard with the 2500k right?? I cant afford more than 100 euros in the INTEL build cuz my badget reached its limit.

In overall im more into the AMD build because an 100 euro motherboard isnt good with an i5 2500k right?? Or it is ok ?

Maher90

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
1-define what games EXACTLY you want to play,as for MMO games they are very cheap taxing games even an i3 could beat a whole MMO like GW2 maxed out with 7870

2-uhm..lol? even my cheap motherf**ker 7770 runs 1080p movies fine with no lag

3-well if your not going to overclock or even a little you could go with H77 or B75 but i advice H77 so you could have a little room for oc'ing

4-ok? :l

5-no..even if you buy a 2500k it won't hold merely for 3 years,plus the New Haswell is coming in April Claiming a 30-40% up in performance then 2500k

a side comment for you,FX 6300 isn't bad at all! the main problem in FX series is when you want to play games on 1360x768 or lower there is big bottleneck and with the FX 6300 you can use up to ATI 7870 anything higher could suffer from little bottlenecking.
Intel 2500k/3570K is good and beats out FX line but..you have to think what you are going to use it for..this cpu is targeted for more Efficent Video editing,Extracting,Loading stuff Faster BLAH BLAH BLAH while for FX is targeted for more "Bottlenecked Pocketers" :p,Combine FX with an SSD and you will get something equal to 2500k but not entirely ofcourse :(

so if i was the buyer..i would go with the FX 6300..you don't seem to play serious heavy games and even if you wanted to play a game like BF3 or Skyrim it will handle it right with Medium-High Draw Distances so yeah Go with FX if you want to play Balancely :) *this is just an opinion from a poor guy*

If you are not getting an overclockable board then you are better of with an I5 2400 or 3470. If you go with the 2500K then the Z77 board selected in your build is a good board for the price, any Z77, Z68 or P67 board will allow for overclocking a "K" CPU.

Maher90

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Wisecracker are you nuts? :p why would he buy a stopped PHII? lol anyways D1versify..your graphic card is cool don't worry but what i was talking is..bottlenecking and loading speed of LOD and Areas,ATI 7870 beats out 660ti (stock) ;) so you got a hell of a deal especially when you OC it a little but your main problem is in which CPU to get so like i said before and to clarify..you can play skyrim maxed out on 1080p HORRAY! but you would notice freezings and sudden lags..that is because of CPU with a I5 2500k you can play it nice maxed out but with FX 6300 you will have to lower some Draw Distance details like Actor Fade,Object Fade..etc to be honest FX 6300 does fine in skyrim maxed too XD

d1versify

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012

you checked the 2 builds i made? or you are just referring in general about the two CPUs? :)

because the INTEL build has a cheaper mobo. Dont judge me, i know im dont know what im talking about but i am not sure wheter the motherboard - CPU combo is that much of importance or not .

Instead of spending half your money on your motherboard/CPU, when your funds are limited on a budget gaming build you should spend half your money on your video card

The PhII965BE/GB 970 -UD3 AM3+ is around 180€ and will push whatever video card you install, because in a gaming build at 19x10 ...

It's the video card
It's the video card
It's the video card

(is there an echo in here ??)

Before this starts getting really out of hand. I'll weigh in.

While I do believe (based on my own experience with 1080p gaming), in Skyrim, Battlefield 3, BattlefieldPlay4Free, among others. And maher, I play at ULTRA settings, not medium/high. The Phenom II is still a perfectly viable gaming CPU. That being said, PileDriver 6300 is a worthy successor to P II x4s. Those who already have Phenom IIs (like myself) would see no real improvement from buying one, but for first time buyers looking for something on a tight budget, the 6300 deserves a look.

As mentioned, 5-6 years is asking a lot from ANY computer, be it an i5 or a FX-6300 for gaming. I've got an old Dell XPS laptop with a Core2Duo w/ Nvidia 8600M. It was a pretty ballsy laptop when it was brand new, 5 years ago. Now? Still great for browsing, doing homework on, and although I quit months ago, it would still play Runescape at best possible settings. But its not the "gaming computer" it once was.

If you plan on playing the same games, of course, it will last you.. well forever. But if you're constantly upgrading your game library with the latest titles and expecting to max them, you're going to be disappointed. This is just a sad fact about computers. Which is another reason to find a good balance of components that meet your needs today. Not overbuying on parts and trying to "future proof" them. Its more financially sound to buy a cheaper system that can meet your needs now, and scrap and rebuild in a couple years.

And yes, the only difference between AMD 970 and 990 chipset is the PCI-E lanes. Beneficial if running a crossfire/sli configuration, but offers nothing for a single card. And single card systems are almost always the better option.

It's not that the PhII965BE is such a good fit (even though it is, especially for the cost, performance, over-clocking), but the OP has a steady upgrade path over the next 2 years as AMD CPU prices drop (Bulldozer, Piledriver, and quite possible, Steamroller). Beyond that, we are bumping into DDR4, anyway.

Intel does not drop their CPU prices like AMD -- which is good and bad depending upon how you want to look at it.

The OP could go with an i3 and do the same thing - almost. The issue there is he will not go past Ivy on the platform (my understanding is Haswell is a new socket) and the i5/i7 will not substantially drop in price, as noted. BUT ... by this time next year, the FX-8350 Piledriver is likely to be half the cost it is today.

Like the FX-8120 Bulldozer --- which is $140 on eBlast today.