Sign in with
Your question

AMD FX 6300 - i5 3450 gaming?

Last response: in CPUs
November 8, 2012 2:21:27 PM

AMD FX 6300 (149 euros) with Gigabyte GA-990FX (135 euros)

or

Intel Core i5 3450 (180 euros) with a cheaper motherboard (around 100 euros?)

Well you could say its just 30 more euros and get a better motherboard with the i5 , but ive exceeded my budget limit too much, and cant go any more :( 

More about : amd 6300 3450 gaming

a c 850 à CPUs
a c 272 4 Gaming
a c 330 À AMD
November 8, 2012 3:08:58 PM

The I5 would be my choice! No need for an expensive Z77 board since the CPU will not overclock.
November 8, 2012 3:18:20 PM

would u suggest one for 100 euros??
Related resources
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
November 8, 2012 3:32:38 PM

What websites are you shopping at and in what country? And what video card are you pairing up with this system to play what games and at what resolution?

These are important questions which need to be taken into account. If you're playing at lower resolutions and using a lower end video card, there is little to no point in a more expensive CPU.
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2012 3:37:18 PM

The new AMD FX chips are actually very close for gaming performance, but the i5's are still king.

November 8, 2012 3:48:47 PM

nekulturny said:
What websites are you shopping at and in what country? And what video card are you pairing up with this system to play what games and at what resolution?

These are important questions which need to be taken into account. If you're playing at lower resolutions and using a lower end video card, there is little to no point in a more expensive CPU.

Im getting Gigabyte 7870 HD , willing to play at 1920x.... resolution , games like DOTA2, CODs, WOW, and some new ones! Well im going to play new games as well, i know those games dont need a monster PC, but since i wont afford a new one for the next 5-6 years, i thought i may have to get a good one.

You could look at this site http://www.skroutz.gr/c/31/motherboards-mhtrikes/f/2922...

I know its greek, but you choose the criteria on the left and see the original names spelled in English and ofcourse the price ! I would like something around 90 - 105 euros if possible cuz i exceeded my badget way too much! Thank you !
November 8, 2012 4:27:46 PM

Go for i5. It beats AMD in gaming.
As 3450 cannot be overclocked you can go for H77 MOBO.
7870 should be fine for you to play at 1920 when paired with 3540.
November 8, 2012 4:31:14 PM

oh my... sorry guys i meant 2500k :( ((( lol sorry about that ! im just new with hardware and got confused with all the research ive done so far. My question would be :

AMD FX 6300 with Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD3
or
i5 2500k with a cheaper motherboard like Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 ??

sorry about the mistake lol
November 8, 2012 4:36:50 PM

It's ok. :) 
You into overclocking? If you want to overclock then you might want to buy an expensive mobo.
Though at stock speed 2500k will beat 6300 easily.
Go for 2500k and a H67 mobo or maybe h61 mobo. You won't be able to overclock on these.
a c 850 à CPUs
a c 272 4 Gaming
a c 330 À AMD
November 8, 2012 4:46:54 PM

d1versify said:
ok hereis the first build i made with AMD 6300 http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mVhq

and another one with 50 euros more with intel i5 http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mX2i

so i really dont know what to do cuz im a noob xd

That I5 build with the 2500K and that Z77 board is worth the extra 50 because it will allow overclocking if or when you add an aftermarket cooler to the picture. Actually is a very nice rig for the money.
November 8, 2012 4:51:55 PM

ok ill get as much specific i can

I want this PC for :
1. Steam games (DOTA2, Call of duty) , World of Warcraft , Starcraft2, maybe some new good MMOs and new good games ofcourse
2. Watch movies in 1080p
3. NOT for overclocking , since i dont know how to do it or maybe a friend of mine overcloaks it a little lol
4. NOT for storage (i have another PC for downloads)
5. 5-6 years

So this AMD system seems more balanced right? A good motherboard with an 6300.
You suggesting an expensive motherboard with the 2500k right?? I cant afford more than 100 euros in the INTEL build cuz my badget reached its limit.

In overall im more into the AMD build because an 100 euro motherboard isnt good with an i5 2500k right?? Or it is ok ?
November 8, 2012 5:18:52 PM

1-define what games EXACTLY you want to play,as for MMO games they are very cheap taxing games even an i3 could beat a whole MMO like GW2 maxed out with 7870

2-uhm..lol? even my cheap motherf**ker 7770 runs 1080p movies fine with no lag

3-well if your not going to overclock or even a little you could go with H77 or B75 but i advice H77 so you could have a little room for oc'ing

4-ok? :l

5-no..even if you buy a 2500k it won't hold merely for 3 years,plus the New Haswell is coming in April Claiming a 30-40% up in performance then 2500k

a side comment for you,FX 6300 isn't bad at all! the main problem in FX series is when you want to play games on 1360x768 or lower there is big bottleneck and with the FX 6300 you can use up to ATI 7870 anything higher could suffer from little bottlenecking.
Intel 2500k/3570K is good and beats out FX line but..you have to think what you are going to use it for..this cpu is targeted for more Efficent Video editing,Extracting,Loading stuff Faster BLAH BLAH BLAH while for FX is targeted for more "Bottlenecked Pocketers" :p ,Combine FX with an SSD and you will get something equal to 2500k but not entirely ofcourse :( 

so if i was the buyer..i would go with the FX 6300..you don't seem to play serious heavy games and even if you wanted to play a game like BF3 or Skyrim it will handle it right with Medium-High Draw Distances so yeah Go with FX if you want to play Balancely :)  *this is just an opinion from a poor guy*
a c 850 à CPUs
a c 272 4 Gaming
a c 330 À AMD
November 8, 2012 5:19:45 PM

If you are not getting an overclockable board then you are better of with an I5 2400 or 3470. If you go with the 2500K then the Z77 board selected in your build is a good board for the price, any Z77, Z68 or P67 board will allow for overclocking a "K" CPU.
November 8, 2012 5:32:35 PM

i thought giving 850 euros for a PC would allow me to play heavy games :( 

the resolution i want to play in is 1920-1080 !
a c 850 à CPUs
a c 272 4 Gaming
a c 330 À AMD
November 8, 2012 5:35:17 PM

As I said before this is a very nice rig and will do well in almost anything at 1080P http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mX2i
November 8, 2012 5:37:51 PM

so wisecracker suggests a cheaper CPU and a GPU costing about 370 euros? :S

November 8, 2012 6:02:34 PM

Wisecracker are you nuts? :p  why would he buy a stopped PHII? lol anyways D1versify..your graphic card is cool don't worry but what i was talking is..bottlenecking and loading speed of LOD and Areas,ATI 7870 beats out 660ti (stock) ;)  so you got a hell of a deal especially when you OC it a little but your main problem is in which CPU to get so like i said before and to clarify..you can play skyrim maxed out on 1080p HORRAY! but you would notice freezings and sudden lags..that is because of CPU with a I5 2500k you can play it nice maxed out but with FX 6300 you will have to lower some Draw Distance details like Actor Fade,Object Fade..etc to be honest FX 6300 does fine in skyrim maxed too XD
November 8, 2012 6:16:53 PM

Maher90 said:
Wisecracker are you nuts? :p  why would he buy a stopped PHII? lol anyways D1versify..your graphic card is cool don't worry but what i was talking is..bottlenecking and loading speed of LOD and Areas,ATI 7870 beats out 660ti (stock) ;)  so you got a hell of a deal especially when you OC it a little but your main problem is in which CPU to get so like i said before and to clarify..you can play skyrim maxed out on 1080p HORRAY! but you would notice freezings and sudden lags..that is because of CPU with a I5 2500k you can play it nice maxed out but with FX 6300 you will have to lower some Draw Distance details like Actor Fade,Object Fade..etc to be honest FX 6300 does fine in skyrim maxed too XD

you checked the 2 builds i made? or you are just referring in general about the two CPUs? :) 

because the INTEL build has a cheaper mobo. Dont judge me, i know im dont know what im talking about but i am not sure wheter the motherboard - CPU combo is that much of importance or not .

a c 108 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
November 8, 2012 8:27:47 PM

Instead of spending half your money on your motherboard/CPU, when your funds are limited on a budget gaming build you should spend half your money on your video card

The PhII965BE/GB 970 -UD3 AM3+ is around 180€ and will push whatever video card you install, because in a gaming build at 19x10 ...

It's the video card
It's the video card
It's the video card

(is there an echo in here ??)

a b à CPUs
November 8, 2012 8:40:50 PM

If your not doing crossfire/sli, you don't need the 990fx board, the 970 will work just as well with a single video card.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
November 9, 2012 1:11:48 AM

Before this starts getting really out of hand. I'll weigh in.

While I do believe (based on my own experience with 1080p gaming), in Skyrim, Battlefield 3, BattlefieldPlay4Free, among others. And maher, I play at ULTRA settings, not medium/high. The Phenom II is still a perfectly viable gaming CPU. That being said, PileDriver 6300 is a worthy successor to P II x4s. Those who already have Phenom IIs (like myself) would see no real improvement from buying one, but for first time buyers looking for something on a tight budget, the 6300 deserves a look.

As mentioned, 5-6 years is asking a lot from ANY computer, be it an i5 or a FX-6300 for gaming. I've got an old Dell XPS laptop with a Core2Duo w/ Nvidia 8600M. It was a pretty ballsy laptop when it was brand new, 5 years ago. Now? Still great for browsing, doing homework on, and although I quit months ago, it would still play Runescape at best possible settings. But its not the "gaming computer" it once was.

If you plan on playing the same games, of course, it will last you.. well forever. But if you're constantly upgrading your game library with the latest titles and expecting to max them, you're going to be disappointed. This is just a sad fact about computers. Which is another reason to find a good balance of components that meet your needs today. Not overbuying on parts and trying to "future proof" them. Its more financially sound to buy a cheaper system that can meet your needs now, and scrap and rebuild in a couple years.

And yes, the only difference between AMD 970 and 990 chipset is the PCI-E lanes. Beneficial if running a crossfire/sli configuration, but offers nothing for a single card. And single card systems are almost always the better option.
a c 108 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
November 9, 2012 11:38:41 AM

It's not that the PhII965BE is such a good fit (even though it is, especially for the cost, performance, over-clocking), but the OP has a steady upgrade path over the next 2 years as AMD CPU prices drop (Bulldozer, Piledriver, and quite possible, Steamroller). Beyond that, we are bumping into DDR4, anyway.

Intel does not drop their CPU prices like AMD -- which is good and bad depending upon how you want to look at it.

The OP could go with an i3 and do the same thing - almost. The issue there is he will not go past Ivy on the platform (my understanding is Haswell is a new socket) and the i5/i7 will not substantially drop in price, as noted. BUT ... by this time next year, the FX-8350 Piledriver is likely to be half the cost it is today.

Like the FX-8120 Bulldozer --- which is $140 on eBlast today.

a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
November 9, 2012 6:14:03 PM

I wouldn't count on PileDriver costing too much less either though. The reason Bulldozer got its prices slashed so much was because AMD overpriced them to begin with. The price drops put them more on par with their performance. AMD didn't make that mistake this time with PileDriver, the "flagship" 8350 was just released at $210-220, whereas 8150 Bulldozers were priced up there at $280. I don't think you'll see substantial price cuts with PileDriver.
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 8:00:42 PM

Wisecracker has the right idea; those 965s are beasts.

And as always, nekulturny speaks his(her?) wisdom.

@OP I'd second/third the 965 BE. The i5 2500k costs double and only performs 25% faster in the best of situations. At worst, they're neck and neck.
Use the money saved on a better GPU.
November 9, 2012 10:47:14 PM

Wisecracker said:
Instead of spending half your money on your motherboard/CPU, when your funds are limited on a budget gaming build you should spend half your money on your video card

The PhII965BE/GB 970 -UD3 AM3+ is around 180€ and will push whatever video card you install, because in a gaming build at 19x10 ...

It's the video card
It's the video card
It's the video card

(is there an echo in here ??)

Ok get in here
http://www.visionstudio.gr/prosforaview.asp?id=20942&sy...

Log with these Username : d1versify password : mpeka
When you succesfully log in, close the page and enter the link again. You will be transfered to my build, once logged in.
Then choose a GPU. Its in greek but the GPU section is right under the G. Skill sniper etc..
Its just that there are so many manufacturers and models that i really dont know which one to pick.
I'll play mostly WOW, DOTA2, new Call of dutys in 1920x1080 resolution. Pick a card with 200 euros.If you think its not enough go for more!up to 350 euros.I know 350 euros are way better, but if i could end up with a smaller budget i would be happier :p 
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2012 12:57:41 AM

As far as I know DOTA2 is not going to be demanding and Call of Duty's are console oriented and do not push modern graphics cards all that much. And at 1080p, as wisecracker so eloquently stated. It's the graphics card that matters the most.

I have both a Bulldozer and Ivy Bridge system and been playing BF3, WOW, GW2, Borderlands 2 and others. The only time I feel like there is a difference in gameplay between the 2 cpu's is when I play WOW. Intel games slightly better there as it is such an older game and less threaded. But this is only because I naturally wanted to discern whether or not there was such a dramatic difference between the two. But there is not night/day feeling between the two in any way,shape or form.

If we're not dealing with smaller resolutions then save yourself money to a pay subscription, buy a new game or whatever else and game on. You'll be fine on either system and will upgrade come 5 or 6 years anyways. My 2 cents. Good Luck.
a c 108 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
November 10, 2012 3:40:53 PM

You should be great with the new Black Ops.

An HD7850 will take an easy OC with good air -- you may save some money, there. Put it toward an aftermarket cooler for your CPU

:) 

November 10, 2012 3:51:58 PM

7850 2gb?? sorry i have disturbed you a lot, but im just too noob.... there are 10 different 7850... :(  and i dont even know what the difference is.
shall i stick with the Sapphire one 2GB OC edition and buy this PC finally? :D  ive got some brain damage after all this research ive been doing lately
a c 108 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
November 10, 2012 4:50:20 PM

There are a few games that can use the 2GB in loading up textures at 1080p, but for the most part 1GB should be fine.

Dual fans generally keep cards cooler and help your OC.

January 25, 2013 7:37:44 AM

hello back after some months!

ive bought this PC with your help

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nGMr

but playing in 1920x1080 i should have listened to Wisecracker and get an even better graphics card! It seems that the resolution is the biggest factor in a videogame performance! Well ofc you guys know that, now i know it too and i regret not having bought a 7950 !

Sad thing is i dont know how to overclock !
Are any of my parts overclockable??
January 25, 2013 7:57:21 AM

is it hard? :p  im a big noob
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 25, 2013 8:03:54 AM

Hi,

The CPU is overclockable, and so is the video card. Honestly, I game just fine with my 7870 @ 1080P. The higher the resolution, definitely more resources it puts on the graphics card, and to an extent the CPU as well.

The video card actually already is overclocked (being a GHZ edition). You can push it further, but what games are you playing that you feel are underperforming? You should understand before you get into this that overclocking voids your warranty. (Although unless you do something absolutely stupid like jack up the voltage and physically burn the components), realistically both AMD and Gigabyte has no real way of proving you did overclock unless you volunteer the information.

Now, having said that disclaimer. The simplest thing you can do is overclock the CPU, you should install an aftermarket CPU cooler in order to do this. Probably the best value one on the market is the CoolerMaster 212+ or 212 Evo, around $20-30.

This program makes overclocking the CPU fairly simple and has a built in stability tester. Although I find the temp reader on Overdrive to be unreliable.
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/amd-overdrive/pa...

I would suggest using HWmonitor to get an accurate temp. You never want to see anything higher than 62c under load, this is the highest temp AMD says the CPUs can tolerate. Your motherboard probably has built in overclocking software as well.

Now overclocking the video card, MSI Afterburner is a good program, and heres a guide on that.
http://tomorrowsgaming.com/hardware-software/3892.htm

I'm a conservative overclocker, I push mine as far as I can without having to turn up the voltage.

For overclocking the CPU, there are 2 methods you can use for AMD. Overclocking the reference clock and overclocking on the multiplier. The latter is the simpler method. Understand that when you overclock at the ref clock you are also overclocking the RAM and the North Bridge on the motherboard.

What determines the CPU clock speed? Its the reference clock speed x the multiplier. For example 200mhz on the ref clock x 18x on the multiplier= 3600mhz or 3.6GHZ. If you up the multiplier to 18.5x you'll end up with 3.7GHZ, 19x =3.8GHZ and so on. Realistically on the stock CPU cooler, you *should* be safe to push an FX-6300 to 4.0GHZ, but again, its recommended to use an aftermarket cooler, individual results my vary.
January 25, 2013 8:16:30 AM

if i get another cooler i have to change thermal paste???
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2013 9:29:45 AM

my 6300 at stock clocks bottlenecked my 7970ghz. Get a i5
January 25, 2013 9:40:12 AM

stantheman123 said:
my 6300 at stock clocks bottlenecked my 7970ghz. Get a i5

i bought this PC 2 months ago, so i cant now... :(  by bottleneck you mean that your graphics card doesnt perform as it should , because of your CPU ? How can i check if it does the same in my PC ?
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2013 10:21:11 AM

The question is really simple and what you are asking for is a justification as to your choice.

Both parts game and game well, intel probably better but it will hardly make any iota of difference at the end of the day when the experience you get on either is still good.

My honest suggestion is take the cheaper of the two evils, it often means you put the difference to something that actually will make an iota of difference.
January 25, 2013 11:25:03 AM

sarinaide said:
The question is really simple and what you are asking for is a justification as to your choice.

Both parts game and game well, intel probably better but it will hardly make any iota of difference at the end of the day when the experience you get on either is still good.

My honest suggestion is take the cheaper of the two evils, it often means you put the difference to something that actually will make an iota of difference.

sorry i dont know what u mean :p 
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2013 1:36:22 PM

I mean they both game very well, the Intel probably slightly better but the AMD will give you copious performance at a lower cost, the issue here is how much performance do you want and how much you willing to pay to get it and what are you going to skimp on to get it?

FX 6300 + MSI 990FX GD80(2.0) $250

i5 3450 + $100 MB, to me $100 MB in Intel language means a pretty shocking motherboard, Intel low end is a dissaster. I would suggest a ASRock Z77 Pro 3 at $130.
January 25, 2013 2:00:06 PM

im not going to buy anything! i just asked of i have a bottleneck :p 
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2013 9:35:31 PM

With a 7870? You have no bottleneck. i check my bottlenecks like this:

Download msi after burner

launch battlefield 3 Max everything TURN OFF VYSNC

In msi after burner check gpu usage

I checked my gpu usage would not go above 75% And i was getting around 50-60fps with a 7970ghz It should be quite a bit higher. I overclocked it to 4.5ghz

96-99% gpu usage and 70-90fps.

Though im 100% you have no bottleneck

PS: a reason my cpu was bottlenecking me was because it wasnt turboing to 4.1 it was going to 3.7-3.8

However i would NEVER change my decision getting this cpu. Its $100 bucks cheaper than a i5 3570k. And it flys for the price its great
a c 108 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
January 27, 2013 3:25:43 PM

d1versify said:
if i get another cooler i have to change thermal paste???

Yup.

Use a coffee filter as a rag, and some isopropyl alcohol. The CM 212+ would work just dandy with some Arctic Silver paste. Don't use too much!

You should not have an issue clearing the tops of your RAMs (I hope!).

Your HD7870 is great. That WD Green 500GB is holding yah back a bit, though.

EDIT :hello:  :hello:  :hello: 

You may want to get the CM TX-92 That case you got is really narrow !!! :o 

January 27, 2013 9:47:55 PM

some people told me that the HDD doesnt affect gaming performance :( 
And yes i regret buying a mid-tower :( 

If i could buy my PC again, i would get a full tower and an 7950 ! But in overall im happy! Its just that i cant play planetside 2 on full settings, but this game is extremely demanding i guess :p 
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 27, 2013 10:34:55 PM

An HDD doesn't typically have a direct impact on performance in terms of framerates, what a faster drive can do for you however is reduce the loading time when a level changes and whatnot. This doesn't apply so much to MMORPGs loading, since you're more likely limited by the connection of the servers you're playing on.

Now, I have a pair of Seagate 2TB 5900RPM drives, I boot other OS's on them (namely Ubuntu), I haven't noticed any real performance difference between it and my WD Caviar Blue.. Now an SSD, yes, the difference can be night and day in terms of load times. But again, no real impact on your FPS rates.
January 28, 2013 9:17:51 AM

nekulturny said:
An HDD doesn't typically have a direct impact on performance in terms of framerates, what a faster drive can do for you however is reduce the loading time when a level changes and whatnot. This doesn't apply so much to MMORPGs loading, since you're more likely limited by the connection of the servers you're playing on.

Now, I have a pair of Seagate 2TB 5900RPM drives, I boot other OS's on them (namely Ubuntu), I haven't noticed any real performance difference between it and my WD Caviar Blue.. Now an SSD, yes, the difference can be night and day in terms of load times. But again, no real impact on your FPS rates.

ok then i dont care! :) 
January 28, 2013 9:20:42 AM

nekulturny said:

Now overclocking the video card, MSI Afterburner is a good program, and heres a guide on that.
http://tomorrowsgaming.com/hardware-software/3892.htm

I'm a conservative overclocker, I push mine as far as I can without having to turn up the voltage.

I can overclock the video card without damaging it, while im a real rookie ??
!