Help with CrossfireX (Radeon HD 7770s)

logster123

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Hello, about 2 months ago i purchased two Radeon HD 7770s, to run in CossfireX mode.
I've a lot of problems with these two cards, but i do not think they are faulty. Honestly i have no idea what to do, so let me list some of my problems that i've been having. Oh and if it makes a difference, one of the cards is the overclocked Ghz edition while the other is not.

Problems -
I've noticed that these cards are weirdly glitchy on some specific problems.

For instance in the game Starcraft 2, when any cloaked unit is on the field my the game lags like ***, drops down to about 10 fps. The game is normally fine at all other times.

In Battlefield 3, i can run the game at highest settings at around 50-60 fps. But sometimes for 5-10 seconds the fps drops down to 15-20 every minute or so.

The Witcher 2 crashes if the game is not on 1600x900 instead of 1920x1080, and motion blur is off.

-- oh, and one really big thing that keeps happening is that the graphics card drivers keep crashing--

The reason i decided to finally see if i can get some insight on this, is that i recently picked up the game Tera online
( http://tera.enmasse.com/ ) and the game crashed my whole computer twice, (Blue screened)

So if anyone can help that would be great because i have no idea what to do.
Ps - I have monitored the cards with MSI afterburner and the temperature is not unusually high or the cards glitching out, one thing i have noticed is that the second card turns off when not playing a game ( but thats normal right? ). Anywho here are my PC specs

PC SPECS ---

Intel i5 2500k 3.3ghz
16 GB of DDR3 RAM
Asus z68-v gen 3 motherboard
Radeon HD 7770
Radeon HD 7770 Ghz edition <CrossfireX>
Diablotek 775 wat powersupply

Thanks for all the help :)

FrontierKodiak

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
There could be several things possibly wrong, but the thing that jumps out to me immediately is that absolutely rubbish PSU. Try to pick something from ether tier 1 or 2 of this list: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx As you can see, yours is in Tier 5 (the lowest of the low) with the recommendation "Replace ASAP if you have one." I am about 99% sure this the problem. You PSU is nowhere near strong enough to power your components and if you continue to stress it could very well blow right up. Discontinue use immediately and give us a budget so that we can recommend you a decent one.

logster123

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Hmmmm, well i guess the guy who worked at microcenter was derp. Anywho i guess i could get a new PSU

So recommend a good PSU for me? preferable under $200

FrontierKodiak

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

somebody might be able to find a better deal than this, but here is a very solid PSU with plenty of head room. Antec is a very solid brand, most of them are rebranded SeaSonics (which are the premier PSU's). Also, 550 watts is plenty of headroom for 7770s. somebody might bea ble ti find a better deal Apologies for the dead link in the other post, I'll go fix that now. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RTPMLA/?tag=pcpapi-20 It is also $88 at SuperBiiz, but I have never used them so I cannot vouch for them. Here it is anyway: http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-TP-550&c=CJ

cpillin425

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Unfortunately all of you are wrong. It's not his PSU, it's a driver problem. I have catalyst 11.7 Beta drivers installed, and the Witcher 2 doesn't work and freezes and turns off my screen. It's an issue if you have any crossfired HD7000series cards. And you can rule out the PSU because I have an Ultra 750w. Now, I beleive there is a solution, you can roll back to the catalyst 12.3, the ones that initially supported HD7000 series cards (if you really want to play this game ). There are also other solutions, like play the game in windowed mode or lower the resolution to the nearest 16:9 aspect ratio, which would be 1600x900. You can also disable the crossfire while playing this game. Or you can wait until AMD introduces a fix in their drivers...I heard several people have sent them bug reports already, so they probably will fix it. As far as your PSU goes, go with a single rail. Dual rail sucks, they overload easier and get hotter for no reason at all.

cpillin425

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Correction: I have 12.7 Beta drivers and I have crossfire Visiontek Hd7770 sorry about that. Oh and I also have other problems with the drivers like WinDVD 11 freezes when I try to play blu ray, but they play fine in Cyberlink PowerDVD. Also, all other games are fine, including Skyrim and I just finished playing Spec Ops The Line, no issues there.