Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Gaming PC components for under 550-600 USD

Last response: in Systems
July 1, 2012 2:20:13 PM

Greeting folks, I have a question about some prats of a PC Im doing misserable attempts at trying to build. First of all, to present the situation: I am a gamer, I use my PC for games solely and am looking for a gaming PC build. Ive had a PC for 3-4 years now and it has became compleatly obsolute where the newest games wont run even on minimal settings. I am the kind of person to keep a PC until the bitter end and when I make an upgrade, I want it to last.
I have researched the video card options (since it was my main focus) and I have a rough idea of what I want but I have no idea about the specifics and if they can be put together at all. The video card I decided on is Nvidia GeForce GTX 460. It performs about 10%-15% better then Radeon HD 7750 (in theory only of course) and is not that much more expensive. I would also like some advice on this as well. If the extra price on GTX 460 is worth it compared to Radeon HD 7750.
I decided to keep my box, since they are generally pricy and I dont see a point in chaning the one I have. The power supply I will have to change though, since mine is already old and besides I read that GeForce is pretty power hungry.
I will also keep my HDD (500GB) and optical drive (though I havent used it for ages, and I dont think I will in the future)

So, having read the how to, here are the specifics I can give. I was hoping you guys can tell me what I am looking for since I dont know myself

Approximate Purchase Date: at the beginning of 08.2012. I am planning on ordering the parts between 1st and 8th

Budget Range: 600 USD tops for the parts I need (which would be Motherboard, Prcessor, RAM and Vido card)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Watching Movies (not really that important tho, I only do it when Im

bored with gaming)

Parts Not Required: HDD, Optical Drive, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Box (Power Supply IS required), Sound card

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I guess Newegg. I am assuming prices wont differ that much between sites (and countries

hopefully). I will order them locally so the price probably will differ, I am just interested in theoretical configuration

Parts Preferences: I prefer Intel processors, since I read they are more cost effective, perhaps a quad core (if its worth

it?) and something like 1,7GHz. I deffinately want GeForce 460 or Radeon HD 7750 (with your advice on which one) and I am

looking for 2x2GB RAM (so 4 in total). Motherboards I have no idea about and a Power Supply will be needed I guess.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: I have no idea about the merrits and disadvantage of either of those

Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024

Additional Comments: the parts should sum up to 600 USD or 500 Euro tops.

So this is the info, I am looking for a long term configuration that will last me for the next few years at least. I am not

that interested in compitibilty with future models and upgrades for parts since by the time Im planning to upgrade again everything will be different anyhow.
July 1, 2012 4:56:16 PM

Well, personally I'm fond of the Core microarchitecture. It performs excellently at a fraction of the price of things like Nahelm processors.

If your okay with LGA775 and Core architecture, you could build a gaming system easily for a cheap price. On LGA775, you can bring yourself up to a Core 2 Quad processor. Excellent cpu, a little expensive but workable. OR, you could get yourself a Core 2 Duo which is quite cheap, but performs great and still leaves you upgrade room to a core 2 quad in the future.

I think if you wanna stay cheap, and assuming you want overclockability and a cool system, go for this:

Processor: Core 2 Duo E6750 2.67GHz. Its a very capable processor, runs fast, runs cool, overclocks like a champ. Also a lot cheaper than a Quad Core, but will do just fine until you can pony up around 150-200 bucks for a quad.

GPU: Personally, I preffer AMD, so I would take that 7750. I'm running a 6770 Which is very close performance wise to a 7770, so a 7750 would be just fine. Though I don't know. If you would rather Nvidia, take Nvidia.

Motherboard: Anything on the P45 Chipset. No less than that, though, P45 is EXCELLENT and you can get boards for it for dirt cheap, like 75 bucks. Maybe go for an Asus P5Q of some sort. Ebay has the P5Q SE going for around $80 after shipping and handling. Excellent quality, lots of options, well-known brand, cheap price, high performance. Supports up to 1600MHz FSB speeds. Damned good board XD.

PSU: If you want to stay on the cheapser side but want reliability and good performance, perhaps you should take a look at the Cooler Master M500-B 500 Watt PSU. Very reliable, quiet, cool, excellent price, good output, lots of connectors. It has everything you would need. I personally chose the Diablotek PSDA600 which was a few bucks less and got me 600 Watts, but the quality is questionable. I think I should have taken the M500-B, but whatever.

CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus. One of the best air coolers available in the entire market, and its well priced too. Somewhere around the $35 mark. Features a MASSIVE aluminum heatsink with 4 direct-touch copper heat pipes, a 120mm fan for cooling, and the ability to add an ADDITIONAL 120mm fan on the other side.

I cant help you actually find the parts, but just look for these things. You'll find them all in like two seconds.

Good luck with your build! I recently built a system for about the same price as you! Im happy with it. :3
July 1, 2012 6:45:58 PM

Thank you for the reply.
I just have a few follow up questions:

About the GPU, I read somewhere that 7750 isn't exatly *hardcore* gaming material, its supposed to be too slow for that, its meant to be an all-rounder that doesnt run everything maxed out. Can you recommand a good gaming GPU, tested and confirmed to be up to date and reliable? at around the 100-150$ benchmark? Or should I stick with the GTX 460?

Also, since im planning to only have 1 HDD plugged in (with the exception of the vital stuff of course) with no other HDDs or Opticals till its absolutely necessery, is it possible to knock of the price with something else, or is Cooler Master M500-B the minimum I should pick?
Related resources
July 1, 2012 7:09:28 PM

=I *Hardcore* stuff is defined by people who take nothing less than absolute top dollar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpx84_VoghM A 7750 will play Crysis 2 at MAXIMUM settings around 50FPS. Tone down your anti aliasing and anistropic filtering a little bit and it would run smooth as butter. *HARDCORE* gaming equipment is gonna cost you much more than you can spare with a 600 buck budget. Provided that you can handle some edges not being PERFECTLY smooth and not having HD textures about 400 feet away from you in-game, I think that card would serve you awesomely. If you want a 640 then go right ahead. Im just saying, dont go by what people define as hard core. Why not buy something thats fast and functional and cheaper? o.o
July 1, 2012 7:16:47 PM

Thats why I asked, that's useful feedback right there, thanks again mate
July 1, 2012 7:23:23 PM

If it helps at all, Ill show you how AMD markets cards.

First off, the first number represents the series. for example, the 2xxx series, 3xxx, 4xxx, 5xxx, 6xxx, and 7xxx are currently on the market. The 7750 is in the 7xxx series.

Now, the XXX is the type of video card it is, wether it be entry-level (el-cheapo), Mid range (the pretty good ones), Performance cards (High midrange, low enthusiast) and the Ultra-High end enthusiast cards.

Entry level: 450, 570.
Mid-Range: 650, 670.
Performance: 750, 770, 790, 850, 890
Ultra-High Gaming: 950, 970, 990

The card you selected would be a performance card, the 750 in the 7xxx series. Thus, 7750.

My card is in the 770 in the 6xxx series. Thus, 6770.

Its not a bad card, but you have to realize that you cant get an enthusiast level AMD gpu for performance card dollars.
July 1, 2012 7:28:07 PM

No problem! Also, I would reccomend stepping up your choice a little bit. Go for a 7770. Looking at this benchmark here, the GTX460 is damned close to a 7770 http://www.hwcompare.com/11906/geforce-gtx-460-vs-radeo...

Theyre about even. Memory bandwidth at speeds like that makes about 0% difference. PCI-Express 2.0 isnt even nearly maxed out with the most intense games, so memory bandwidth is currently irrelevant at those speeds. theyre both just as good. Also, the GTX460 runs on 70watts more than a 7770. The 770 also is slightly faster at texture filtering. As for pixel fill rates, the GTX460 is only about 1% better than the 7770. Plus, the 7770 is slightly cheaper. :p 
July 1, 2012 7:35:36 PM

Also, heres an other tip. AMD doesn't change their cards a whole lot between 2 series together. For example, a 7770 will perform VERY close to a 6770, but that one step backwards in series makes a lot of difference in your wallet. Hell, you could do better with a 6850 instead that a GTX460 or 7770 any day.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 1, 2012 7:37:45 PM

The 7750 is not as good as the 460. I have a 7770 in one of my PCs and its not as good as the 460. I would get the 7770 just because it's newer, uses less power, is quieter, and runs cooler. But doesn't perform as well as the old gtx460.

Also I would go with an i3-2120 way before I would consider using old technology like the Core2Duo.

Here is a great build for your budget:

i3-2120 - $125 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - $120 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 - $46 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W PSU - $60 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
XFX Core Edition Radeon HD 7850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 - $220 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's $570.

This build will have you gaming for years to come.

July 1, 2012 7:52:00 PM

stickg1 said:
The 7750 is not as good as the 460. I have a 7770 in one of my PCs and its not as good as the 460. I would get the 7770 just because it's newer, uses less power, is quieter, and runs cooler. But doesn't perform as well as the old gtx460.

Also I would go with an i3-2120 way before I would consider using old technology like the Core2Duo.

Here is a great build for your budget:

i3-2120 - $125 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - $120 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 - $46 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W PSU - $60 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
XFX Core Edition Radeon HD 7850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 - $220 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's $570.

This build will have you gaming for years to come. I can't believe someone suggested a socket 775 core2duo. If you want to keep your build for 5 years DO NOT buy 4 year old technology. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

I love how you basically came in, blew me off, then showed me up, then attempted to make me look like an ass. Thats quite an unresonable response with harshness that was completely uncalled for.

Socket 775 runs perfectly fine. A core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad will handle just about every game today with ease, and will do it for a cheaper price. Whats your problem? I mean, suggesting a different, newer build to him or her is perfectly fine but the way you did it was just.. uch. A veteran should be one of the more respectable and community-driven people of the forum.

Its not ridiculous to suggest the P45 platform. It offered low power consumption, excellent performance, lower price than whats out now. A Core 2 Quad at over 3GHz will do the work of upcoming games of the next few years. Instead of suggesting a $120 motherboard, I suggested a $75 thats just fine. Instead of a $125 CPU, I suggested a $65 (or, 100 for a C2Q). Instead of a $60 500 watt psu, I suggested a $35 500 watt psu. And ontop of a $220 GPU, I suggested one of about $150-$160. I kept performance in mind along with ability to overclock and the idea of keeping the price as low as possible while maintaining gaming abilities.
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2012 7:56:34 PM

I'd ask, what games specifically are you looking to play? What settings you're looking to play them at, and what stores are available to purchase parts from in your country? Links would help.

I'd say to both of the people arguing here, this 2012. I wouldn't recommend a dual core CPU to anyone if I can help it, regardless of the architecture.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 1, 2012 7:58:50 PM

Sorry for being rude, but what you suggested has no upgrade path. It is old technology. If someone wants to keep a build for years to come it is a bad idea to buy old parts. Specifically ones that are no longer being manufactured. When you suggest builds for people it is important to read their original post. He wants to spend $550-$600. So why not give him the best possible gaming option for that money. Yes your build is a good $300 build. But why not give him the option for a much better $600 build like he asked for?

Also instead of agreeing on a 7750 or 460, since his primary purpose for the PC is gaming, a GPU is the most critical factor in gaming performance. Therefore a good percentage of his budget should be spent on the GPU. I would have picked a cheaper motherboard but there is no good options in the $250 price range more power efficient and performance oriented than the 7850. I'm sorry if you are offended but as you continue you use Tom's and try to help people, you yourself will also learn how to become better and more accurate with your advice.
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2012 7:59:49 PM

stickg1 said:

This build will have you gaming for years to come. I can't believe someone suggested a socket 775 core2duo. If you want to keep your build for 5 years DO NOT buy 4 year old technology. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

While it may not be the best course of action, its not necessarily the "most ridiculous" thing either. Most games are completely GPU dependent, not CPU dependent, and while certainly a more modern CPU would be a wiser investment, rather than insult someone blindly, why not inquire to find out what stores are available to shop from in the OP's country?

Addendum, LGA1155 doesn't have an upgrade path either. Intel is going to LGA1150 next year...
July 1, 2012 8:01:22 PM

It bothers me a little how people can just scoff at slightly older processors because they're a few years old. Its not like its runnign on the ancient Netburst architecture. Im pretty sure the architecture that the i3, i5, and i7's use are all based on the original design of the Core architecture. However, I believe that nekulturny has posted a very good response. I would answer what he says and base your choices off what he has to say.
July 1, 2012 8:02:23 PM

nekulturny said:
While it may not be the best course of action, its not necessarily the "most ridiculous" thing either. Most games are completely GPU dependent, not CPU dependent, and while certainly a more modern CPU would be a wiser investment, rather than insult someone blindly, why not inquire to find out what stores are available to shop from in the OP's country?

Addendum, LGA1155 doesn't have an upgrade path either. Intel is going to LGA1150 next year...

... :D  thank you.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 1, 2012 8:06:20 PM

So he was right in suggesting a Core2Duo and a 7750 when the OP can afford a better CPU and GPU with his budget?
July 1, 2012 8:07:05 PM

stickg1 said:
Sorry for being rude, but what you suggested has no upgrade path. It is old technology. If someone wants to keep a build for years to come it is a bad idea to buy old parts. Specifically ones that are no longer being manufactured. When you suggest builds for people it is important to read their original post. He wants to spend $550-$600. So why not give him the best possible gaming option for that money. Yes your build is a good $300 build. But why not give him the option for a much better $600 build like he asked for?

Also instead of agreeing on a 7750 or 460, since his primary purpose for the PC is gaming, a GPU is the most critical factor in gaming performance. Therefore a good percentage of his budget should be spent on the GPU. I would have picked a cheaper motherboard but there is no good options in the $250 price range more power efficient and performance oriented than the 7850. I'm sorry if you are offended but as you continue you use Tom's and try to help people, you yourself will also learn how to become better and more accurate with your advice.

I think that you missed the biggest part of what he said; he doesn't want an upgrade path. He said that he just wants something that will do some good for a while,a dn then he'll make a new build when its necessary. (As for me, when the time comes that my new rig is too slow, ill just switch the basic components :p .)

I don't need to have 2 ultimate gaming desktops and a laptop to know what I'm talking about here at Toms Hardware. My one and only reason for being here is to help people because its my hobby, its what Im good at, and Im not getting payed or anything to spend hours of my time trying to get someone some decent specs for a little as I can. If hes limiting the budget to about 600 bucks, which is like what mine was, chances are he could use that leftover money for other things he may want. For me, my limit was 600 because im kind of tight on cash. If he is like that too, then I'd say that spending about 380 instead of 570 on a new temporary budget gaming system is a world of a difference.
July 1, 2012 8:09:45 PM

stickg1 said:
So he was right in suggesting a Core2Duo and a 7750 when the OP can afford a better CPU and GPU with his budget?

When you consider life outside of the computer, the additional left over money could be a gracious thing. Therefore, if you can build something that does what you want without maxing out your budget, I'd say its a plus. Core 2 Duo's arent known to be bad. Hell, if he wanted he could just go straight for a Core 2 Quad, which is a wonderful processor. But, again, keeping in mind that the less money used the better is best, I chose out parts that wouldnt force him to blow all 600, but would let him game at pretty good settings on all games for a few years.

You don't think that sounds a little logical?
July 1, 2012 8:12:34 PM

honestly i would stay away from the core architecture, it was great when it came out, and is still competitive today but i find my that my video card is bottle necked when comes to games like skyrim and battlefield 3, i have a 6850.

although at his current resolution i don't suppose it really matters much.

a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2012 8:16:33 PM

stickg1 said:

I didn't say that. But I will say that I have a Core2Duo in a Dell XPS laptop. Is it a couple years old? Yes it is. Will my i5 2400 and Phenom II walk all over it in benches? Yes it will. But it still has enough power that I can play games in reasonable settings. And this is a laptop CPU I'm talking about, the desktop version I'm sure is more powerful.
July 1, 2012 8:17:11 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEMzFN-2bYU

Lower GPU, same series CPU. Pretty good resolutions, good graphics quality, silky smooth on battlefield 3. O.o With his resolution, if he turned the filtering down a notch or two he could game with ease :p . Skyrim will run fine on a Pentium 4 HT 641 3.20GHz stock with a Radeon HD 4650, so I don't think that a system with a tonne more horsepwoer would have issues with it either.

Though, your arguement is totally valid, dane332. :)  Just saying, lets not totally put down core, here. And a 7770 or 7750 will do just fine. It doesnt have to be faster than another card, it just has to do what the guy wants, right? ^^
a b B Homebuilt system
July 1, 2012 8:21:15 PM

The man (or woman) wants to spend $550-$600. It doesn't matter what you would like to do with YOUR left-over money. The OP asked for advice on something current. He had a specific budget. If someone says they want to spend $600 on a computer, I assume spend the whole $600 and get the best parts you can. He didn't ask for a $380 build. He said $550-$600 and he also mentioned he wants it to last.

Quote:
Ive had a PC for 3-4 years now and it has became compleatly obsolute where the newest games wont run even on minimal settings. I am the kind of person to keep a PC until the bitter end and when I make an upgrade, I want it to last.

Yes the Ivy Bridge was the last stop for 1155. Who's to say in 2 years if his favorite game demands 4 true cores instead of 2 cores with 2 threads each, he couldn't just drop a different chip in and still be good for another few years. If 1155 doesn't have an upgrade path, then what does really? Haswell is well over a year away and as far as I'm concerned Piledriver is not going to be as powerful as Intel's offerings. That's why before it has even been released AMD has claimed they are out of the enthusiast CPU "arms race" with Intel. So what should he get guys? Tell me? He wants to game, I gave him a good chip, an incredible motherboard, and a great GPU. I used his budget to the fullest. What else does he need? Old technology so he can save $200? That's not what he asked for.
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2012 8:23:55 PM

dane332 said:
honestly i would stay away from the core architecture, it was great when it came out, and is still competitive today but i find my that my video card is bottle necked when comes to games like skyrim and battlefield 3, i have a 6850.

although at his current resolution i don't suppose it really matters much.

The problem with BF3 is that its a game that can use and prefers more than 2 cores for multiplayer. It will actually use all 8 cores on an AMD Bulldozer FX8. This is one reason I tend to avoid recommending dual cores. Yes, the i3 has stronger individual core performance than a Phenom II, however the difference is very small (and zero if you overclock a PII), the PII has twice the cores, and will not leave you hanging if another game comes out like BF3. Skyrim, while I don't think is actually coded for more than 2 cores, it definitely does seem to favor quads.
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2012 8:25:31 PM

stickg1 said:
The man (or woman) wants to spend $550-$600. It doesn't matter what you would like to do with YOUR left-over money. The OP asked for advice on something current. He had a specific budget. If someone says they want to spend $600 on a computer, I assume spend the whole $600 and get the best parts you can. He didn't ask for a $380 build. He said $550-$600 and he also mentioned he wants it to last.

Quote:
Ive had a PC for 3-4 years now and it has became compleatly obsolute where the newest games wont run even on minimal settings. I am the kind of person to keep a PC until the bitter end and when I make an upgrade, I want it to last.

Yes the Ivy Bridge was the last stop for 1155. Who's to say in 2 years if his favorite game demands 4 true cores instead of 2 cores with 2 threads each, he couldn't just drop a different chip in and still be good for another few years. If 1155 doesn't have an upgrade path, then what does really? Haswell is well over a year away and as far as I'm concerned Piledriver is not going to be as powerful as Intel's offerings. That's why before it has even been released AMD has claimed they are out of the enthusiast CPU "arms race" with Intel. So what should he get guys? Tell me? He wants to game, I gave him a good chip, an incredible motherboard, and a great GPU. I used his budget to the fullest. What else does he need? Old technology so he can save $200? That's not what he asked for.

You've made your point sir, now sit down and wait for further input from the OP. *facepalm*
July 1, 2012 8:27:02 PM

Does it matter that he / she said that? Again, don't be so snarky. Im just saying that what I had pointed out were parts that would save as much money as possible. You picked out parts that were as expensive as possible. I had plenty of good reason to select the parts that I did, and I just think you should lay off about it. Me mentioning what I do with MY money is me trying to put myself in their perspective and consider things they may not have mentionned. JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE 600 DOLLARS TO SPEND DOESNT MEAN YOU SHOULD TRY TO BLOW IT ALL. Maybe the person DOES want to get everything from it, maybe they don't want to use it all up. Generally speaking, people tend to try to get bang for the buck as cheap as possible. I'm sorry for being a middle class person who thinks like a middle class person.

I gave him a good chip and motherboard as well, an awesome motherboard actually. It has room for a more expensive upgrade aswell, and I used his budget to devise something fast and cheap. He also didn't say "I dont want older parts". He said he wanted something good and something in that budget.
July 1, 2012 8:31:52 PM

I don't mean to be rude and I dont like pointing fingers, but I feel as though everybody is being respectable and understanding about it all except you, stickg1. I got your point why you suggested a faster system. I made my point about my choices. other people have commented on our choices and yet your STILL trying to make it look like getting something from the Core series is the most batsh*t crazy and stupidest thing you've ever seen. When I justified it, you just lost it. When you justified yours, I understood it and meant to clearify what I chose. Please calm down and know that we all understand your choice and that you don't need to get in our faces about it. ._.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 1, 2012 8:32:41 PM

Okay, I'll wait for the OP.

Please don't try to suggest that I'm some sort of super aristocratic snob because I have a computer for myself, a computer for my son, and a laptop for my wife. I'm a framing carpenter and do manual labor for a living. I work very hard for my money and as a hobby I buy, sell, and trade computer parts. It's my persistent bargaining and bartering that have gotten me three nice machines for about $1500.

Sorry to argue, I will leave you guys to help this OP out. Best of luck to you all.
July 1, 2012 8:40:45 PM

I'm going to wait for the OP as well. I think he should post his thoughts on what he's thinking of doing.

Think of it like this: Core 2 Duo / Core 2 Quad: Cheaper, older, fast
Intel i3: More expensive, newer, even faster

LGA775: No upgrade path.
LGA1155: Also no upgrade path.

Both will play games just fine, however one will require a little bit of filtering turned down. One will run smoother at higher settings, one will cost you less. Both fo them should last a few years at least but the i3 may last up to a year or two longer... I dunno about the GPU, gpu's get out dated much faster than CPU's. Both motherboards are excellent. Both processors can be overclocked half way to timbuck two, and that Hyper 212 Plus cooler is compatible with that i3.

We are here to help you, so feel free to comment, ask more questions, get clarification, etc... After all, that's what we're here for!
July 1, 2012 8:42:24 PM

recommending a end of life socket like a LGA 775 is not a smart move
the Core2 were good chips but nowadays a Core2Quad will cost you as much as newer CPU
makes no sense IMHO
DIminator said in OP that they use a computer its full lifespan
and he preferes Intel
Going with a 2120 CPU and a good GPU like the 7850 is a very smart move
can always upgrade to a I5-2400 or 2500K later
they no longer produce any Core2Quads
look at Ebay USA
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313...

any decent Core2Quad in the Q9xxx series costs MORE than a I5-2400 which would absolutlely blow it away in gaming or any other use-fact

and the I3-2120 would destroy any Core2Duo in any application

since the OP stated they have a $600 budget then recommend a system for $600
they decide what they do with their money
not for us to decide

July 1, 2012 8:50:03 PM

king smp said:
recommending a end of life socket like a LGA 775 is not a smart move
the Core2 were good chips but nowadays a Core2Quad will cost you as much as newer CPU
makes no sense IMHO
DIminator said in OP that they use a computer its full lifespan
and he preferes Intel
Going with a 2120 CPU and a good GPU like the 7850 is a very smart move
can always upgrade to a I5-2400 or 2500K later
they no longer produce any Core2Quads
look at Ebay USA
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313...

any decent Core2Quad in the Q9xxx series costs MORE than a I5-2400 which would absolutlely blow it away in gaming or any other use-fact

and the I3-2120 would destroy any Core2Duo in any application

since the OP stated they have a $600 budget then recommend a system for $600
they decide what they do with their money
not for us to decide

Reasonable enough. Core 2 Quads cost more than an i5? Jesus, that's nuts. I suppose you're right. Still, the cheaper offer stands. Though its not the best system by any means, its better than nothing and its not trash and it is definetly fine for gaming. Not HARDCORE gaming, but never the less. I seem to be getting a lot of negative feedback on WHY I went for lower price but fine products.. I know its not my place. The suggestion is there to go with anybody elses. Though, thats a perfectly good arguement. If the OP can get an i5 for the same or less money as a C2Q, then by all means the OP should go for it. A suggestion is a suggestion, and I feel my idea isn't the best, but is still valid.

How about this. OP, why don't you consider my post the absolute minimum? That should be a little better. I won't say my choices are the best or just as good, but they are at least a good minimum level for decent gaming for a few years.
July 1, 2012 8:51:44 PM

lga775 is a horrible pathway to recommend. wouldn't spend a dime on that platform...

everything that Stick and King are saying is correct...

Edited for rudeness by moderator.
July 1, 2012 8:55:53 PM

OK, to answer some of the questions:

I am looking to play Guild Wars 2 when it comes out, I am a big fan of the Warhammer 40k universe so when Dark Millenium comes out I will most probably play it eventho I know it will suck (but that is another topic). I DONT play Battlefield/Modern Warfare, I am not a fan of shooters at all, Im mostly interested in strategies and RPGs.

Stores available in my country are:
MOST computers (which I plan on making my main hub) - http://www.most.bg/
JARCOMPUTERS - http://jarcomputers.com/computers

Like I mentioned, I dont plan on upgrading once I get the PC, so even if u recommend old, no longer manifactured parts its ok, since by the time I upgrade again, the modern parts of today will probably be obsolute again. Tho I do understand the reasoning of stickg1

Also, I want to make a note that thedeathclox just gets me: If I can spend 300$ on something sufficient, I will absolutely love tosave the money, tho I know I cant for the things I want. My objective is not to spend all the money I have, but just enough for what I need. And what I need, put simply and bluntly, is a PC, that will run all the games that come out in 2012 on MAX settings, all the games that come out 2013 and 2014 on MEDIUM settings and maybe towards 2015, Ill have to run everything on MINIMUM and drag it on for a year or two and make another upgrade 2016 perhaps, no sooner.

I can provide extra store links on demand, but I doubt u guys can read cyrilic alphabet and I dont really use any others, so any other sites I give, I will just give because I know they exist, not because Ive shopped there
a b B Homebuilt system
July 1, 2012 9:00:50 PM

I honestly can't find any core2duos or quads that arent used or refurbished. And even used they for for 80% of the price of the i3 (the duos) and double the price of the i3 (the quads).
July 1, 2012 9:09:44 PM

edit-unneeded advice

the fact is since OP is not planning to upgrade until 2016 then in their price range only a 1155 makes sense
start with an I3-2xxx and then later can move up to 2400 or 2500k and then later move to a 2600K when needed
so yes there is a good upgrade path with a 1155 system

and since the OP wants to max todays games out (their words) then a $600 budget is needed

a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2012 9:25:00 PM

Back to the original topic at hand.....

Basically any CPU can handle the type of games you're looking to play, and no you don't really need a super powerful video card for them.

I would say go with stick1's build configuration, but I would go cheaper on the video card, as its massive overkill for those sorts of games. A GTX 460 or a radeon 7770 will still be more than sufficient. If you want something a little more powerful you could use a 6870.

July 1, 2012 9:29:06 PM

Well, I am looking for an early overkill, so that i can gradually turn into a "just a kill" in a few years and slowly become insufficient over a longer period of time. I am still comparing GPUs as of right now, I just have no idea what is just enough right now, and how much of an overkill I want to pay for

PS: Right now I am using my ACER Aspire 5741G since Im in the process of selling my old PC parts and fund raising. Here are its main specs:
- i5 processor 430M (2,26GHz, 3MB L3 cache)
- 4GB RAM
- GeForce GT 320M 1024 NBVRAM
One note I would like to make, Warhammer 40k - Dawn of War 2 playes extremely poorly on this laptop, on the graphics test in the settings,I score approx these results:
Maximum FPS: 13
Avrage FPS: 9
Minimum FPS: 2

Recommanded settings: Ultra Low

I dont know why I am mentioning this, since PC and laptops are pretty much apples and oranges, but I am looking for something that will run such a game on 60ish FPS all the time smoothly
a b B Homebuilt system
July 1, 2012 9:33:38 PM

Yeah the HD7850 will be more than enough for now. Will last you a few years, and when it starts not being enough you can get some more life from it because those Radeons overclock very well. Maybe you would be better off trying to get a 6870 but then upgrading to an i5-2300 or something of the sort. Perhaps your future RPG type games will run smoother off of 4 real cores rather than 2 cores with hyper-threading. It's just a tough call because those 7850s are nice!
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2012 9:39:09 PM

Well, the first thing to do would be to take a look at what the minimum system requirements are for the games you want to play. Really though "future proofing" is myth. You can predict certain technology advances, but at the same time, trying to keep your system ahead is more or less a losing battle.

As far as hyperthreading, no game uses it. It is useful in productivity type software (media encoding, video editing, etc), its still not the same as having 4 physical cores.

And most likely no game ever will use HyperThreading. Game coding is still pretty "dark age" even though the actual gameplay continues to get "prettier". Games still have to be coded specifically to use more cores, and thats a lot more work than I think most game manufactures really want to do.

You can go with a 7850 if you wish, but this video card is capable of taking on heavily graphic intensive games like First Person shooters. Its up to you, I will say not only from experience, but also from knowledge that its usually going to be cheaper to build a lower end system and save the extra cash to do a new build in 3 to 4 years rather than spend a ton of money on a "top of the line" system and expect it to last you say 7 or 8 years.

Generally you can reuse your case, power supply, optical drive, hard drive and this will help you cut costs, these are the only truly "future proof" parts. Hard drives may get faster, but you can always use the old drive as a secondary should you find a hard drive is no longer up to snuff to be a primary boot drive.
July 1, 2012 9:44:35 PM

maybe a
I5-2400
Z68 or P67 mobo
HD 6870
depending on prices at your shopping sites

your resolution is only 1280x1024 so really anything at or above a 7770/460
will max out easily
if you are not planning on a monitor upgrade anytime soon
then maybe move some budget from GPU and into CPU
maybe a
I5-2400 and HD 7750/GTX 460/GTX 560/HD 6850/HD 6870 combo might work good for you
the CPU will last you longer without having to upgrade
and usually a GPU will be upgraded sooner than a CPU in most cases anyway
a b B Homebuilt system
July 1, 2012 9:56:28 PM

Switch to this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And this CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here is your edited build:

i5-2400 - $190 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASUS P8H61-M LX PLUS - $70 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 - $46 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820148544
CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W PSU - $60 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817139027
XFX Core Edition Radeon HD 7850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 - $220 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814150617

That way you get the i5-2400 and still keep the other stuff (RAM, PSU, and 7850) and it is still under $600, it comes to $585. Hopefully you can find similar deals in your area. If not then you could downgrade to the 6870 and you would still have a great system. That motherboard isn't the greatest but with the non "K" models you really dont need overclocking functions.
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2012 10:00:44 PM

Thats not a horribly spec'd board, it doesn't have USB 3.0, but do any of us even own USB 3.0 devices yet?

You could go with this one instead if you want SATA III and USB 3.0

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Although we run into an issue of not being able to read Bulgarian to see whats available in your country :lol: 
July 1, 2012 10:42:19 PM

I.... guess I'm done here then. Sooo many haters. Unlike many people, I see computers like this: If it does what you want as well as you'd like, then its fine. Age doesnt matter. If your hardware will pull off what you intend for it to do, then there is NO problem. Best of luck with your system, Diminator. P.M. Me if you want to talk about anything out of this thread, alright? :p  Have a good day.
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2012 10:45:28 PM

I agree with you. While I think (and always thought) there were better options than a Core2Duo, some people would rather hurl insults than try to explain things to people who are less knowledgeable. That really isn't fair to you, and it seems in my attempt to play "devil's advocate", certain people who know absolutely nothing about me seemed to again rush in half-cocked and rather than actually read what I said would like to presume they know what I'm saying and call my knowledge into question as well. Those are the ones who should be banned from the forum, at least if someone asked me about it. I'm sorry you got such a nasty reaction here.
July 1, 2012 10:50:38 PM

nekulturny said:
I agree with you. While I think (and always thought) there were better options than a Core2Duo, some people would rather hurl insults than try to explain things to people who are less knowledgeable. That really isn't fair to you, and it seems in my attempt to play "devil's advocate", certain people who know absolutely nothing about me seemed to again rush in half-cocked and rather than actually read what I said would like to presume they know what I'm saying and call my knowledge into question as well. Those are the ones who should be banned from the forum, at least if someone asked me about it. I'm sorry you got such a nasty reaction here.

Thanks nekulturny. :)  Your a good person, and your intelligent too. I got that from your posts. Humility and logic are friggin super powers here on the internet. I think it was good having you on this thread aswell to bounce a few points off of and take some points in return. But, having a few people like you and the OP of this thread on these forums is nice; it makes trying to help out a little more worth it knowing my efforts don't just get binned. :p 
a b B Homebuilt system
July 1, 2012 10:56:01 PM

I understand where you're coming from trying to suggest a Core2Duo and cut costs. But since you suggested that I've been looking diligently for some of those chips. It seems like I can only find them used and it's still $80. I hate to bring this up but you can get the Pentium G850 Sandy brand new for less than $90 and it still outperforms Core2Duos unless your talking the now rare and expensive E8600. It's always easier to get new stuff, here in the US anyways. And while I buy must of my stuff used or refurbished, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else that is not willing to take a risk.
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2012 11:01:15 PM

Well the thing with Intel is, they don't drop the prices of their CPUs, regardless of how many generations old it is. You can see they didn't drop the price of Clarksdale and Lynnefield. Sandy Bridges haven't dropped in price either. So barring finding a merchant who is going to subsidize the cost of the CPU on their own accord (like MicroCenter does with their "In store only" specials, or getting a used CPU, you won't find a cheaper price on em, if they're even still available.
July 1, 2012 11:02:51 PM

I find it funny though. I'm just upgrading now from an older system I built ages ago that still serves me pretty good, but i needed a speed increase with a slight upgrade path should I decide to pop a new CPU in someday. My previous system was (and is still plugged in and used for surfing the internet, storage and some light gaming):

Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.20GHz 641 CPU on LGA775

Cooler: I cant remember for the life of me. It has a massive heatsink and an 80mm cpu fan that operates at incredibly high speeds.

RAM: 1GB Corsair Extreme DDR2, 2GB Unifosa DDR2
GPU: ATI Radeon HD4650 from MSI model MD1G, 1GB GDDR2 PCI-Express 1.0
PSU: mATX 340Watt
Motherboard: Intel 945G Motherboard
Storage: 320GB SATA HDD
Case: A modified mATX case made to fit a large graphics card and a 120mm exhaust fan. I can't remember the brand.

And you know what? It plays Just Cause 2 at 30FPS solid most of the time, minimum 25FPS. It plays TF2 at 49FPS average in a loaded server, and portal plays at over 120FPS constantly. Everything is pretty quick to run, videos stream in HD at smooth speeds, music plays without skipping. Windows open pretty quick, load times arent killer. My problem is that I want to play games like Just Cause 2 with a smoother frame rate because I can afford to upgrade a little. But you know what? Don't diss old hardware. The Netburst architecture is said and done, and its showing a lot nowadays, but that computer isnt ***. For MMORPG's and many non-FPS games it runs smooth as silk. Just sayin' :D  I should also mention that having multiple programs open causes sconsiderable slowdown so i need that extra core. I WANT a Core 2 Quad, but they're expensive. I got myself into the Core architecture products because parts for them are quite cheap. Im going into college so I really REALLY need to exploit the bang for a buck, and that buck is low. XD
a b B Homebuilt system
July 1, 2012 11:08:36 PM

And that's good that you're satisfied with your PC. I just wouldn't consider 30FPS maxing a game out like the OP wants, and I don't think it's wise to pay premium prices for old technology. I never said the Core2Duo sucked, I own one, it serves it's purpose. I am saying that I wouldn't build a new machine based on an old chip, especially if you have to buy it used to save money.
July 1, 2012 11:17:59 PM

As I said here before. Im done. My suggestions are in, I have justified what I said; im done here. Good luck with your new system. Remember, you don't need a beast of a system to play games.
July 1, 2012 11:26:28 PM

P.M Me sometime nekulturny, we can chat about stuff sometime perhaps :p  See ya on some other thread. :3
!