gam0reily

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Hello,

I wish to buy a fairly powerful laptop with medium gaming capability (1366X768 is fine).
After a lotta research, I have found an ASUS laptop, which meets my requirements -

ASUS K53SM
2nd gen i5 - 2.5 GHz
nVidia GT 630M
4 GB RAM

the only problem is, the graphic card is going to get outdated much sooner than any other component. :(

So, all I wish to know is that whether is it possible for me to somehow replace that 630M with some other GPU, like a GT 650M or a GT 555M or a GTX 560 M?

I mean, does it depend on the manufacturer, or the particular make of the model?
Can I procure a laptop GPU somehow in retail?

I dont intend to blow up my money on some high end 12-1300$ rig. If u have some other laptop in mind, u can suggest that as well! :D
would appreciate any kinda help. :)

Thx in advance!

bluewr

Honorable
May 3, 2012

It's technically possible to upgrade a GPU of a laptop, although that would depend on the laptop in question, but it's not an easy task. depdending on if it's an intergrated GPU, or if it's soldered in, and also generally require you to pretty much take it apart, and put it back together(Remove moniter, etc, etc.

gam0reily

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
yeah, I got the same thing when I googled it up. But they also pinted out that it's manufacturer dependant. Some allow their GPUs to be easily replaced by removing a few screws, whereas some don't.

I can easily afford this one ($800), it has everything balanced. Cant really blame ASUS for the graphics. Only Acer and ASUS can even provide gaming GPUs at such low costs.

TRENDING THREADS