Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC crashing with strange glitchy screen and sound.

Last response: in Systems
July 1, 2012 2:43:51 PM

Hello,
Everytime I'm playing a game whether it's a graphic extensive game like Assassin's Creed Revelations or a low-end minimum cpu/gpu power requiring game like online FPS Crossfire, my pc crashes randomly during gameplay with a strange glitchy screen with coloured pixels and the screenshot of the part of the game where it crashed and the sound is like the one you hear from a radio when a proper channel frequency is not set. I have to restart my pc using the restart button everytime this happens. And it might crash when I've played 2-4 hours or as soon as after 10 minutes of gameplay.

Here is what it looks like when crashed:
http://i46.tinypic.com/2irx4li.jpg

My system Specs:
Core i5-2500k 3.30ghz (not O.C'ed)
Asus P8-Z68 MPro
G-Skill ripjaws F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL Single 4GB memory stick 1600MHz
Sentey's Arvina case
500 GB Seagate HDD
July 1, 2012 4:37:04 PM

I'm sorry, but it sounds like a bad video card... I would contact the manufacturer of your card if its still under warranty.
m
l
July 1, 2012 5:25:55 PM

There's no discrete graphics card installed in my pc I've been playing lately with corei5's default intel hd 3000 graphics with latest drivers.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 1, 2012 5:43:34 PM

i would start by making sure you have the mb bios updates if your using the onboard video. also try adjusting the ram the onboard uses. (may work better if you tell the cpu video chipset to use max system ram).
i would download open hardware monitor and look at your cpu temps. if your using the stock intel heat sink it may not be keeping up under load or not installed right and the cpu/gpu part of the chip is over heating.
m
l
July 1, 2012 6:08:34 PM

Bios is latest. I don't know how to adjust RAM memory or RAM timings and I've been monitoring the CPU and MB temps and I'm quite sure that 55C for CPU and 48C for MB shouldn't cause system to crash cuz maximum temp threshold's around 75C and even if we assume that system's overheating then still it should restart or shut off the system instead of crashing it and that too while only playing games. I've been doing some video converting and encoding work that raises cpu temps around 55C sometimes while using all 4 cores but even then neither the pc restarts nor crashes.

I assume its got to do something with 1)faulty video drivers, 2) Because of power supply (350 watt), or 3) Faulty memory stick or not configured memory timings. I hoped that I'm not the first one to encounter pc crash with that glitchy screen and that someone would've gone through it and found a solution.

I need help in determining what could be the reason for this strange crashing prob.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
July 1, 2012 11:35:06 PM

cpu-z will read your ram speed the spd tab will show you the speed your ram is rated for.
for the ipgup memory.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v340/plushdragon/?act...
it set to defualt on the asus bios.. set it to max 512 or 1024.
in the ai setting you want change the dram speed from auto to xmp to get the full 1600 speed.
if it could be heat try opening the side panel of your case see if it flakes out.
July 2, 2012 5:55:22 PM

Changed overclocking profile from auto to X.M.P. and it configured DRAM timings and RAM voltage by itself and changed igpu memory to 1024, played a game for an hour and it didn't crash and i noticed in temp monitor the cpu temp rising upto 58C while ingame but still it didn't crash. I'll have to install some good cooling stuff before testing a high end game for 3 to 4 hours. If it goes on without crashing then we have found the solution.
m
l
July 30, 2012 1:35:39 PM

So good news to everyone who's having same trouble while playing games on same pc configuration. After 1 month of hardcore gaming neither my pc crashed nor that glitchy screen appeared.

I followed smorizio's advice, updated mobo's bios to the latest, that allowed me to set my video memory to 1024 mb from bios which was set to 64 mb before. I changed the RAM profile to XMP, downloaded latest video drivers and since then its been heaven. Only the CPU temperature rises to around 55C while gaming but that's due to summer's heat I believe.
m
l
August 9, 2012 2:06:09 PM

Best answer selected by individuality.
m
l
!