Sign in with
Your question

Looking for Feedback on a quiet gaming build

Last response: in Systems
July 1, 2012 2:53:40 PM

Hello all,

I'm looking for some feedback on the following setup before I pull the trigger. I want a machine that will run quiet but retain some overclocking capacity, primarily for gaming. I also want to future proof a bit and allow myself some room to grow (big PSU for SLI and such).

Case - Corsair Obsidian 550D
CPU - i5-3570k
CPU Fan/Heat - Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
Memory - G-SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4x4gb) DDR3 2133
GPU - Gigabyte GTX 670
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB CAche
SSD - Corsair Force Series GT 60GB
PSU - SeaSonic X-Series X-1050 1050 W
Optical - ASUS Blu-ray Burner SATA
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium

I was also looking to replace the stock fan on the 212 EVO with these for a push/pull, and add a couple more to the case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total setup with some arctic silver 5 is around $1825 shipped.

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!
July 1, 2012 3:13:38 PM

that build will kick ass the case has good reviews for cooling and the fans you've chosen are high quality good air flow with 17db noise
with what your putting in it i spend afew dollars extra and get 650d case purely for the window on the side panel for looking in at the build
m
l
July 1, 2012 3:51:22 PM

dont use the ssd as a cache drive spend a little more and buy a bigger drive and use it as the os drive and the other drive as a data drive.
m
l
Related resources
July 1, 2012 4:17:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding the case, I like the 650D but I wanted one that has the soundproofing. This PC is going to be in a living room where we have a nice surround setup and I don't want to be hear it if its running. From what I understand, that's one of the express purpose of not putting a window in the side. If I'm not correct, please let me know!

Regarding the SSD, I had read some info that said that SSD caching can actually be faster than a dedicated SSD...is this not true?
m
l
July 1, 2012 4:34:54 PM

ssd are way more master then a mec drive..the down side is that they have a limited number of writes to them..using them as a cache drive will wear out the drives a lot sooner then having it as the main drive. I have an asus z77 mb and a 120 gig intel 520 ssd as my main drive. from cold boot to im surfing the net is 10 sec. with windows 8. any game that i only play or app that i use once or twice is installed onto the hard drive (data drive). having the ssd as the main os drive does make your apps and games run a lot faster.
m
l
July 27, 2012 1:35:47 PM

@ImperialxHammer looking to build similar comp, same case and CPU, was leaning towards the asus 670 though since I heard it is slightly more quiet than the gigabyte, although that was my second pick, and also considering getting a silver bullet cpu cooler to OC.

Have you put it together? If so in retrospect was the 550d worth the extra money? How is the noise on the gigabyte?
m
l
!