Sign in with
Your question

Get a 2nd 6850 or pick up a 680?!?!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 7, 2012 9:08:37 PM

Hi guys so The last thing I'm wanting to upgrade in my computer is my GPU. I've been looking at picking up a 680 from Nvidia because I hear such good things and read such good things about the card. It would run Battlefield 3 at ultra for me and it would be amazing in the long run.

Currently though I have a 6850 and I was wondering if I should just pick up another 6850 and run them in Crossfire vs spending an extra $350 for the 680.

I have a i5-2500k and 700 Watt PSU so I know that I can run dual or just the single 680

Mobo is a new asrock z77 extreme6 board.

Also the resolution I game at is 1600x900 so its not 1080p but if I were to upgrade to the bare minumum size monitor for it I would like to run bf3 on ultra with either 2 of the 6850s or the 680 which I know can run it.

Currently have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So yea should I get a 2nd 6850 or get the 680

More about : 2nd 6850 pick 680

a c 253 U Graphics card
May 7, 2012 9:23:50 PM

Well here's the thing you want to consider , if you go with gatting the second 6850 then yes you could run BF3 at ultra and it would be a good performing setup for you , but then that would be it and if you wanted to go further you would have to have another slot for a third card. With a 680 you start out with the same performance as two 6850's but then if you wanted to go further all you would have to do is add another 680 and then you would not need more than that.
So for that reason I would go with the 680.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2012 9:28:26 PM

If a 680 is in the cards for you then jump on that. It stomps the performance of 6850s in CF and you'll have a better upgrade path. Good luck finding one.
m
l
Related resources
May 7, 2012 9:47:53 PM

How soon do you need it?

The 680 if you can somehow get your hand on one, or is willing to wait.
m
l
May 7, 2012 9:55:12 PM

Willing to wait, in about 3 weeks I'll be ready for a 680 but I could buy a 6850 right now. Honestly doesn't matter to me when I get them.

I'll prob end up getting a 680 then and sell the 6850 for like $100
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 7, 2012 9:56:03 PM

Definately worth getting the 680 , such a great card, stock is is coming in but it goes quickly , just keep an eye on it as they are selling like hotcakes.
m
l
May 7, 2012 10:09:56 PM

680!

6850 2GB far behind
m
l
May 8, 2012 7:11:59 AM

There is no comparison.... 680 outright. Run and you wish for more from your CPU and RAM.
Also a monitor upgrade would be nice, especially if you get the 680
m
l
Anonymous
May 8, 2012 7:26:51 AM

Ya i agree a gtx 680.Im looking at it more from a vram perspective.1 gb is not going to be enough for 1080p in the near future.If it were a 6950 id say a 2nd one would do you well with the 2 gb vram.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2012 8:45:53 AM

pounced said:
Hi guys so The last thing I'm wanting to upgrade in my computer is my GPU. I've been looking at picking up a 680 from Nvidia because I hear such good things and read such good things about the card. It would run Battlefield 3 at ultra for me and it would be amazing in the long run.

Currently though I have a 6850 and I was wondering if I should just pick up another 6850 and run them in Crossfire vs spending an extra $350 for the 680.

I have a i5-2500k and 700 Watt PSU so I know that I can run dual or just the single 680

Mobo is a new asrock z77 extreme6 board.

Also the resolution I game at is 1600x900 so its not 1080p but if I were to upgrade to the bare minumum size monitor for it I would like to run bf3 on ultra with either 2 of the 6850s or the 680 which I know can run it.

Currently have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So yea should I get a 2nd 6850 or get the 680

Unless you plan on doing Eyefinity, the extra $350 is not worth it. You do not need anymore power than what 2x6850 can provide & you wont need 2GB VRAM for single 1920x1080.
So yea, just get a 2nd 6850. But for $10 more, I suggest you get this one with dual FAN & put it as the top of your Crossfire.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
May 8, 2012 8:58:00 AM

op if u want a better card then go for single hd 7950 in a good pprice it can clear up your needs of gaming and other stuff no need to pay more for an gtx 680 just get it overclock and be happy.:) 

they both have better cooling,better price, better overclocking,better cooling,low noise.:) 

look at the review of both card.:) 

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

m
l
Anonymous
May 8, 2012 9:05:55 AM

randomkid said:
Unless you plan on doing Eyefinity, the extra $350 is not worth it. You do not need anymore power than what 2x6850 can provide & you wont need 2GB VRAM for single 1920x1080.
So yea, just get a 2nd 6850. But for $10 more, I suggest you get this one with dual FAN & put it as the top of your Crossfire.

Uhh battlefield 3 says otherwize and besides 6850 in crossfire is some of the worst micro stuttering ive ever seen.This is very bad advice man.Ive already seen limitations with 2 gtx 460 which is comparable to the 6850 in 1080p and they were 2 gb cards.heck even going to a single 6950 would be a better option the corssfiring 2 1 gb 6850's.Heck if you dont want to go full blown just sell the 6850 for $100 and for $130 more a 7850 would be a great option.Do NOT crossfire 2 1 gb cards.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2012 9:20:05 AM

Anonymous said:
Uhh battlefield 3 says otherwize and besides 6850 in crossfire is some of the worst micro stuttering ive ever seen.This is very bad advice man.Ive already seen limitations with 2 gtx 460 which is comparable to the 6850 in 1080p and they were 2 gb cards.heck even going to a single 6950 would be a better option the corssfiring 2 1 gb 6850's.Heck if you dont want to go full blown just sell the 6850 for $100 and for $130 more a 7850 would be a great option.Do NOT crossfire 2 1 gb cards.

^I know exactly what are the disadvantages of microstuttering & it depends on person to person. Some may be bothered by it & some may not be. In fact, my biggest regret is looking up what microstuttering sometime ago because once I did know what it is, I start imagining it in my 2x6950 which I never have any problem before.

But in any case, I gave the advise on the basis of the OP's question about getting 2nd 6850 or 680 for which case I clearly see the disadvantage of spending $350 more than necessary is more pronounced.
m
l
Anonymous
May 8, 2012 9:35:07 AM

randomkid said:
^I know exactly what are the disadvantages of microstuttering & it depends on person to person. Some may be bothered by it & some may not be. In fact, my biggest regret is looking up what microstuttering sometime ago because once I did know what it is, I start imagining it in my 2x6950 which I never have any problem before.

But in any case, I gave the advise on the basis of the OP's question about getting 2nd 6850 or 680 for which case I clearly see the disadvantage of spending $350 more than necessary is more pronounced.

6850 and 6870 are the worst cards ever to crossfire.The microstutter with those cards make many games unplayable.6950's crossfire much better then the 6800 series.He would spend $150 on another 6850 anyways so hed be better off selling the card spending $130 on a 7850 when overclcoked will beat a 6850 crossfire anyways.Its just a terrible idea to crossfire with those cards when for alittle less money after he sells his 6850 he can get a single card that beats that in crossfire.$350 more he will future proof 4 years or more compared to a year tops getting another 6850.No question if he has the money the gtx 680 is the better decision.he doesnt have to worry about crossfire issues and will have something that will clearly spank them in xfire.
m
l
May 8, 2012 9:39:03 AM

randomkid said:

While I agree on the huge price gap between the 6850 and the 680' the performance gap is also huge. Also it would be extremely future ready. And it would ultra bf3 :) 

Though the op should consider his budget carefully. There are tonnes of cards between the 6850 and the 680.... Including the entire 7xxx Radeon series (excluding the 7770). And many of them would also give good performance.
m
l
Anonymous
May 8, 2012 9:40:37 AM

Personally id reccomend the 7950 by far over any of the top end cards or wait to see what the deal is on the gtx 670.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2012 10:00:54 AM

Anonymous said:
6850 and 6870 are the worst cards ever to crossfire.The microstutter with those cards make many games unplayable.

Are you speaking from personal experience? Tom actually recommended the 2x6850 for honorable mention but caution about micro-stuttering. But I do not think it will be as bad as you say otherwise it won't be there in the Best Graphics Card for the Money.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
m
l
Anonymous
May 8, 2012 10:32:57 AM

randomkid said:
Are you speaking from personal experience? Tom actually recommended the 2x6850 for honorable mention but caution about micro-stuttering. But I do not think it will be as bad as you say otherwise it won't be there in the Best Graphics Card for the Money.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

Im speaking from personal experience and for the slew of others that have had issues with 6850/70 crossfire.it is a real known issues with the 6800 cards look around the internet.Yes they are good cards in non crossfire.One of the best bang for the bucks for a single gpu.Infact we had one guy on this forum that had such bad microstuttering with 6850's he couldnt even get decent performance in heaven benchmark and every other card i know of sli or crossfire scales close to 100% in that bench.Even if microstuttering were not an issue his last option should be to crossfire 1 gb cards.To many games are crossing the 1 gb vram to make this an option anymore.maybe 18 months ago it would have been a good move,but not anymore..
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2012 2:10:22 PM

Anonymous said:
Im speaking from personal experience and for the slew of others that have had issues with 6850/70 crossfire.it is a real known issues with the 6800 cards look around the internet.Yes they are good cards in non crossfire.One of the best bang for the bucks for a single gpu.Infact we had one guy on this forum that had such bad microstuttering with 6850's he couldnt even get decent performance in heaven benchmark and every other card i know of sli or crossfire scales close to 100% in that bench.Even if microstuttering were not an issue his last option should be to crossfire 1 gb cards.To many games are crossing the 1 gb vram to make this an option anymore.maybe 18 months ago it would have been a good move,but not anymore..

The fact is that it is in Tom's Best graphics card for the Money in April 2012. Whatever stuttering they experience in their testing did not deter them from putting a recommendation. So I guess you have to take your case to Tom's.

Having said that, I myself will not recommend to anyone to buy 2x6850 for crossfire today. But the OP already have one (10 & a 2nd 6850 are a few hundred dollars cheaper than any recommendation in this thread for no compromise in performance except micro stuttering which is subjective. So I say he can try it first. If he does not like it, he can sell both cards & buy the more expensive card. If he can sell 1, he can certainly sell 2.

m
l
May 9, 2012 3:23:50 AM

got 6850 CF without stutter with 8GB RAM on BF3, had lot of stutters with 4GB.

but nvidia always runs better for gaming (had gtx 460 and 560 ti in the past)

if you have a chance to get the 680 go without a doubt, also have lots of drivers headaches on 6850 CF. or get the 670

m
l
Anonymous
May 9, 2012 4:01:50 AM

randomkid said:
The fact is that it is in Tom's Best graphics card for the Money in April 2012. Whatever stuttering they experience in their testing did not deter them from putting a recommendation. So I guess you have to take your case to Tom's.

Having said that, I myself will not recommend to anyone to buy 2x6850 for crossfire today. But the OP already have one (10 & a 2nd 6850 are a few hundred dollars cheaper than any recommendation in this thread for no compromise in performance except micro stuttering which is subjective. So I say he can try it first. If he does not like it, he can sell both cards & buy the more expensive card. If he can sell 1, he can certainly sell 2.

Just because this site reccomends it that makes it truth?Ive honestly never seen a negetive review on a gpu where they absolutley told you to stay away from it.I just told you ive experienced it first hand and do not need a site to tell me otherwize sorry but i can draw my own conclusions from my own experience and from alot of other people i know having issues with crossfire.How would spending more on another card be a good choice when he could sell his card for $100 and for an added $130 over spending $160 like you suggest make any sense.He sells the card spends $130 to buy a single card with 2 gb of vram that will run just as fast as 6850 crossfire and overclocked will actually beat them and doing it all with one card with no xfire issues?It makes no sense your way is not cheaper its actually $30 more expensive and you get less performance and xfire issues on top of it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 4:58:18 AM

Anonymous said:
Just because this site reccomends it that makes it truth?Ive honestly never seen a negetive review on a gpu where they absolutley told you to stay away from it.I just told you ive experienced it first hand and do not need a site to tell me otherwize sorry but i can draw my own conclusions from my own experience and from alot of other people i know having issues with crossfire.How would spending more on another card be a good choice when he could sell his card for $100 and for an added $130 over spending $160 like you suggest make any sense.He sells the card spends $130 to buy a single card with 2 gb of vram that will run just as fast as 6850 crossfire and overclocked will actually beat them and doing it all with one card with no xfire issues?It makes no sense your way is not cheaper its actually $30 more expensive and you get less performance and xfire issues on top of it.

Sorry... its just that in my book, Tom's have more credibility that anyone who claims based on "personal" experience. Let the OP decide.
m
l
Anonymous
May 9, 2012 5:08:39 AM

randomkid said:
Sorry... its just that in my book, Tom's have more credibility that anyone who claims based on "personal" experience. Let the OP decide.

Would you like me to link you to atleast 10 articles saying otherwize?Like i said man show me one negetive review for any card?Your only doing this to start an arguement because in another thread on this forum you said to go for the 7850.You lost all credibility with this.nice way to change your tune.. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/351950-33-6850-crossf...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 6:50:10 AM

Anonymous said:
Would you like me to link you to atleast 10 articles saying otherwize?Like i said man show me one negetive review for any card?Your only doing this to start an arguement because in another thread on this forum you said to go for the 7850.You lost all credibility with this.nice way to change your tune.. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/351950-33-6850-crossf...

Ah... so you are stalking my posts now... :) 

But anyway, don't take my word out of context. In that thread, the OP already said he is inclined towards 7850 for some valid reason ( not because of microstuttering, mind you). I merely agreed because that is his (the OP itself) preference.

In this thread, the OP is asking 2x6850 or 680? By keeping himself silent, it keeps the thread open for discussion, doesn't it?

But anyway, I already said in this very same thread:
"But in any case, I gave the advise on the basis of the OP's question about getting 2nd 6850 or 680 for which case I clearly see the disadvantage of spending $350 more than necessary is more pronounced."

I do not say 7850 is bad choice either. I just don't like the idea of getting it & depend on the sale of his 6850. It opens the door for too much hypothetical discussion like "what if he can not sell his 680 at $100"? so what happens to your advise then? And lastly, what I am really disputing now is what you said as below:
Anonymous said:
6850 and 6870 are the worst cards ever to crossfire.The microstutter with those cards make many games unplayable.

If it's unplayable, why does Tom ( here we go again ) still include in in Best Graphics Card for the Money May 2012? So what does that make you, kid?

And just for the heck of it, why dont you post that 10 links you are talking about... Until you do, it does not mean anything.
m
l
Anonymous
May 9, 2012 7:19:04 AM

I never said it would be unplayable for everyone but i know more people then not that have owned 6850 crossfire in the past and have complained about only being able to use one card in most games because they lost alot of performance with 2 with god awful microstutter.I bought 2 6850's a while back and felt like i wasted my money on 2 cards and the vast majority of the games either didnt scale at all and when they did the microstutter would make them unplayable.I ten switched to gtx 460's in sli better drivers and didnt have so many issues.Either sli worked well or it wouldnt work at all.Im sure i got micro stutter with those to but it was not noticable.To be honest i cant believe you are still responding when its apparent you want to argue when you have nothing to argue about especially when you already reccommended the 7850.Oh and i found your post typing in 6850 crossfire vs 7850 and the first link i clocked on was your gem of a response.

trust me he can get $100 for his 6850.Even a few posts up tin warns of bad driver problems with 6850.You yourself dont even know what the right answer is per your other thread.True it is up to the op but i must point out your advice really sucks sorry but it does and if you have never owned 6850 crossfire then please stick to what you know and quit responding.like i said you lost all credibilty sorry.stick to what you have your own personal experience with.I would rather go by personal experience over a review based on the fact ive had the cards for months and would be a much more reliable source then a guy who spends one whole day with them.give me a break man
m
l
Anonymous
May 9, 2012 7:26:41 AM

Oh and thanks for the link you sent in this thread you try saying microstutter isnt to much of an issue?Since you use toms to do your research you must have missed this paragraph We already know that two Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFire are fast. However, based on our exploration of micro-stuttering, there's a fair chance that enthusiasts sensitive to this phenomenon might not be satisfied with the way a pair of these cards behave. If you already know this doesn't affect you, then you're in the clear.

This says incase you do not understand this is a pretty big issue with these cards in crossfire.thanks for sinking your own ship
m
l
May 9, 2012 8:10:00 AM

Microstutter is an issue. Microstutter with 6850 CF is an issue.

Is it overblown is a different question.

My 6850 CF works fine for me 1080P though. If you're not sensitive, it's perfectly viable which is what toms said.

Just because you can't use it doesn't mean the OP or anyone else should stay away from it.

With that said, I will add a vote for 6850 CF because of the 350 dollar savings. I am anticipating my 6850CF to be useable for 2 more years or until the next generation of cards come out. This is especially true with the resolutions you run on. I see no benefit with a 680 when your not even running 1080p.

With that kind of money saved, you'll have money ready to do a full upgrade later on. I personally skip generations (not rebranding like 5000 to 6000).
m
l
Anonymous
May 9, 2012 8:12:51 AM

yialanliu said:

My 6850 CF works fine for me 1080P though. If you're not sensitive, it's perfectly viable which is what toms said.

Just because you can't use it doesn't mean the OP or anyone else should stay away from it.

With that said, I will add a vote for 6850 CF because of the 350 dollar savings. I am anticipating my 6850CF to be useable for 2 more years or until the next generation of cards come out. With that saved, you'll have money ready to do a full upgrade later on. I personally skip generations (not rebranding like 5000 to 6000).

So risking $160 on a crap shoot is worth it over $350 sure thing?Not to most it wouldnt be.Im not saying there bad cards if they had even 1.5 gb vram i would be all for it but 2 1gb cards in crossfire is a very bad idea at this time.
m
l
May 9, 2012 8:17:10 AM

Anonymous said:
So risking $160 on a crap shoot is worth it over $350 sure thing?Not to most it wouldnt be.Im not saying there bad cards if they had even 1.5 gb vram i would be all for it but 2 1gb cards in crossfire is a very bad idea at this time.

I disagree.

We are talking about the OP. He/she isn't even running 1080p hence why I think it's viable.
If he/she was running 3 monitors or a 1440p monitor then that would be different but keeping within the context I think 1gb is enough.

Btw, it's not 160 versus 350. It's 160 versus 400ish with around a 250 differential (assuming you sell your old card for about 100 when going for the 680).
m
l
May 9, 2012 8:25:46 AM

Quote:
I guess you do not play BF3 then...
1080p ultra+4xMSAA uses alot more than 1GB.

Stick to call of duty... yes 1GB is fine, but it is now limiting.

Try it with 1600X900 please since this is for the OP.

I don't see why people post random information when this is a topic to help the OP decide. Let's use some of the information he provides.
m
l
Anonymous
May 9, 2012 8:29:07 AM

yialanliu said:
Try it with 1600X900 please since this is for the OP.

I don't see why people post random information when this is a topic to help the OP decide. Let's use some of the information he provides.

even at that res 1600x900 is going to take more then a gb of vram in bf 3 maxed.This isnt random info man i do my research and HAVE owned 6850 crossfire and they were far and the way the worst dual card combo ive owned.
m
l
Anonymous
May 9, 2012 8:35:12 AM

Quote:
Love your enthusiasm, it is admirable.
However i stand correct.

Get off your high horse, i am posting facts.

6850 CFX is a stutter fest, if you need proof of this, i will bring in the benchies and tests conducted to the 68xx series here on Tom's.

1600x900 will not make much difference in BF3, it eats up 1500mb at 1080p.

TY for this.Let them believe what they will knowone would believe all the configs ive owned if i told them.POWER TO THE GTX 480'S LOL
m
l
May 9, 2012 8:40:50 AM

Quote:
Love your enthusiasm, it is admirable.
However i stand correct.

Get off your high horse, i am posting facts.

6850 CFX is a stutter fest, if you need proof of this, i will bring in the benchies and tests conducted to the 68xx series here on Tom's.

1600x900 will not make much difference in BF3, it eats up 1500mb at 1080p.

1600X900 = 1440000
1920X1080 = 2073600

There is actually a pretty large difference. 16X9 runs 70% of the pixels. Now granted nothing scales perfectly, but it should require less vram shouldn't it? BF3 will still be limited slightly by the vram, but not nearly as much as 1080p. I personally don't think it's much of a problem since we're looking at like 1050mb assuming perfect scaling.

With regards to microstutters, I agree wholeheartedly that it is an issue. But once again, only if you are sensitive to it.
m
l
May 9, 2012 9:05:36 AM

If your feeling extra greedy for maxing out games with high FPS You could go beyond a GTX680 /7970 and pick up two 7850s, theor stock peformance would better either of those two cards and once you OC them and they do OC wonderfully you will be gaming in a whole new ballpark! Just a thought :) 
m
l
May 9, 2012 9:06:06 AM

That's interesting, much higher vram amounts then I was expecting. Wish I had BF3 to test it out.

Wonder how many frames you lose with a 6850CF at those resolutions.
m
l
Anonymous
May 9, 2012 9:18:28 AM

The whole reason i gave up on ati cards are not because there crap quite contrary but they are crap in dual card config.There is a reason i sold off my 7970/7950 for cash and a pair of gtx 480's.Crossfire is actually getting worse as time goes on.As a single card any ati card does the trick pretty much,but i am done with crossfire until they fix drivers.
m
l
May 9, 2012 9:22:08 AM

Quote:
+1, however, on a stability standpoint, i would pass 7850 CFX for now, drivers are still in the air.

So Ive heard! Oddly I havnt had any driver issues (Cat 12.3s and Cap 12.3s allow for VDDC control with tweaking Utilities) , installation was cake, they are insanley fast,they scale incredibly well and run cool, battlefield 3 is just astounding and buttery smooth like how youd expect a GTX680 to run as is Witcher2, portal2 etc, the only game that isnt smooth is Skyrim and will be looking into that over the next week or so.. All in all if your looking to spend 500-520 and have at least 8x8x crossfire mobo anything else just doesnt come close!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 9:28:35 AM

Anonymous said:
I never said it would be unplayable for everyone

Backing out of your own argument are you, now? :D 
Anonymous said:
I bought 2 6850's a while back and felt like i wasted my money on 2 cards and the vast majority of the games either didnt scale at all and when they did the microstutter would make them unplayable.

I seriously think you did something wrong then. After all, Tom's did not say anything like this did they?
Anonymous said:
To be honest i cant believe you are still responding when its apparent you want to argue when you have nothing to argue about especially when you already reccommended the 7850.Oh and i found your post typing in 6850 crossfire vs 7850 and the first link i clocked on was your gem of a response.

What part of "But anyway, don't take my word out of context. In that thread, the OP already said he is inclined towards 7850 for some valid reason ( not because of microstuttering, mind you). I merely agreed because that is his (the OP itself) preference. " did you not understand?
Anonymous said:

trust me

Sorry.. I cant.
Anonymous said:
Even a few posts up tin warns of bad driver problems with 6850.You yourself dont even know what the right answer is per your other thread.True it is up to the op but i must point out your advice really sucks sorry

Say that to Tom's, okay? :D 
Anonymous said:
stick to what you have your own personal experience with.I would rather go by personal experience over a review based on the fact ive had the cards for months and would be a much more reliable source then a guy who spends one whole day with them.give me a break man

You can not even make them playable, can you? You just gave up. Your fail does not make you an expert. So what authority do you have? Like I said, you were most probably doing something wrong because Tom's is able to make it work. True, they did say about micro stuttering but it did not deter them from making the recommendation for the 2x6850 until today. Oh man...
yialanliu said:

So, Mike7111, what does this make you again?
m
l
May 9, 2012 9:36:18 AM

I dont understand...

If he wants the 680 let him have it....

if any of the rest of you want the 6850 CF, then please take that and play on it. And never ever talk of good graphics again.
m
l
Anonymous
May 9, 2012 9:42:33 AM

randomkid said:
Backing out of your own argument are you, now? :D 

I seriously think you did something wrong then. After all, Tom's did not say anything like this did they?

What part of "But anyway, don't take my word out of context. In that thread, the OP already said he is inclined towards 7850 for some valid reason ( not because of microstuttering, mind you). I merely agreed because that is his (the OP itself) preference. " did you not understand?

Sorry.. I cant.

Say that to Tom's, okay? :D 

You can not even make them playable, can you? You just gave up. Your fail does not make you an expert. So what authority do you have? Like I said, you were most probably doing something wrong because Tom's is able to make it work. True, they did say about micro stuttering but it did not deter them from making the recommendation for the 2x6850 until today. Oh man...

So, Mike7111, what does this make you again?

Please just stop while your behind you have not only proven yourself wrong but you have also contradicted yourself.You argued with me about the 7850 not being a wize choice and in another post you said something totally different,Its called contradiction.If anyone listens to you now that would be FAIL.I didnt realize it took a proffesional to make crossfire work.It either does or it doesnt its a crap shoot.If Tom is your god thats fine.Unlike you i can gain my own facts and do NOT need any website to tell me different.I think its time you stop posting in this thread.I come on here for the forums not the reviews i make my own reviews and decide for myself whats worth getting and not.I have no authority if you think thats what this is about you truely are a lost puppy.I have 15 years experience and have built over 200 pc's in that time for myself my work mates and friends and family.On top of that thousands upon thousands of hours of testing different configs and research.These reviewers do not spend the kind of time playing around with setups as the gamer does.we keep our rigs for a year or longer so i would tend to go with what the user thinks over a review of someone that tests for a day.I can also guarentee you there were plenty of games even tom couldnt get to work and many games that had some bad microstuttering if you think everything ran perfect for them then again you FAIL.
m
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 9:46:02 AM

well! well! well! stop the mouth fight for gpus right now. :non: 

i have heard about hd 6850 cf micro stuttering but not that much yeah driver issues are there but not with many people.:) 

op why dont you go for an single high end card which will be always better way to go dont cash that much money on gtx 680 cash it on hd 7950 for price/performance.:) 

overclock it and get nearly close performance to the gtx 680 performance simple go for hd 7950 instead of gtx 680 it will cost you some low and you will get an good card for money.:) 

save that money by cashing on hd 7950 and start saving moneys for other upgrades whenever you feel like hd 7950 isnt enough then go for cf or get another high end card in future simple.:) 

m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 9:47:10 AM

psirohi said:
I dont understand...
If he wants the 680 let him have it....

Who knows... he might have already gotten it... if he is lucky. As far as I know, they are mostly out of stock.
Probably busy searching too... after all, he has not been here in his thread for 2 days...
psirohi said:
if any of the rest of you want the 6850 CF, then please take that and play on it. And never ever talk of good graphics again.

I would if I could... :D 
m
l
May 9, 2012 9:49:46 AM

Everyone, let's all take a deep breath and lay off the personal attacks.

Save it for the zombie-alien apoc ;) 
m
l
May 9, 2012 9:59:30 AM

well i got the 7870 a week back. As i was buying it the Owner who is friend of mine, popped up with the sole 680 in stock prolly in the city..... (and this in a computer market that has some 600 stores).

Thank god for the friends who dragged me away.. or i would have to use my credit card for a door stop

If if the OP can afford it... i see no reason why he should not get it (yeah assuming he can find it)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 9:59:54 AM

amdfangirl said:
Everyone, let's all take a deep breath and lay off the personal attacks.

Save it for the zombie-alien apoc ;) 

Sorry, girl... did not see your post right away as it was on 2nd page already and I was responding on the post on the 1st...
m
l
Anonymous
May 9, 2012 10:01:06 AM

yep i agree i went to far i apologize to everyone even you random.Sometimes i get pretty heated with the tech talk..
m
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 10:02:13 AM

Anonymous said:
yep i agree i went to far i apologize to everyone even you random.Sometimes i get pretty heated with the tech talk..

thats good to stop it.:) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 10:03:47 AM

Anonymous said:

Thanks, Mike7111. This is noble. I accept & apologize in return. Cheers! :) 
m
l
May 9, 2012 10:49:47 AM

End of the day everyones sharing their experiences, its just when you generalise your personal experience into thinking its the same for everyone where things can get messy..
I like a good challenge! and to tinker with my hardware,if it was too easy Id probably get board and look for something else. It probably helps that I have plenty of time to research and problem solve which seems to be fun as well. This most certainly helps with the successes experienced with crossfire so far... but! this might not suit someone who is less curious or confident with hardware or simply doesnt have the interest or patience to do what it takes to get the best results.
If you are the former of the two then I say go for it! It takes a bit of research, two driver installations then the Cap driver, reboot! enjoy high fps!
If the latter sounds like you then stick to single card solutions (or SLI?) play it safe save time and enjoy the consistency (and lower fps).
m
l
May 9, 2012 10:59:44 AM

The 480's were king of scrambled eggs too :p  and the reason for global warming
m
l
!