Silverstone SST-ST50F-ES 500W PSU

Sret43rg

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Is this PSU reliable? because it is cheap and fits my budget and i was also wondering if it is good enough to power a i5-3570K and a 7950 3GB? If it is not good could you please suggest a good PSU for around 40-50 pounds using amazon.co.uk or scan.co.uk .

Thanks in advance.

keithmfr

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Everyone spends a lot of money in their build where it counts and forget one important aspect. The last thing you want to do is cheap out on a power supply. If you're using 450 watts of that 500 watt power supply, you're going to have a lot of heat in your case, and you're going to work that power supply to its almost full potential. You need more headroom so your power supply lasts longer. I suggest you look at one of OCZ's modular power supplies. Since it is modular, you're not using extra cables you don't need, thus using less power.

Here is my recommendation.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017

I've had this PSU for a while and it's still running cool.

If you cheap out on the power supply, expect to buy a new one soon when it overheats.

Sret43rg

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
I think you missed the bit that im from the UK and that i must use UK sites to order my parts from.
The cheapest i could find for the PSU is 57 pounds which is over my budget unfortunately :/

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I actually have a similar Silverstone in a system I built for a nephew. It works great and he beats the stuffing out of it by OCing the CPU and the GPU. He has been using for 2 years with no trouble at all.

I prefer Seasonic and Corsair PSUs, but I would use a Silverstone as well if the deal was right.

Sret43rg

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Oh never mind, that psu seems to have great reviews and it is fully modular(?) which is great for my case as it is not very good for cable management, i guess i could dish out the extra money for it :D Thanks for the suggestion :D is it worth the 57 pounds though?