Sign in with
Your question

Help me pick a good PCI video good

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 7, 2012 9:32:24 PM

Alright my cousins got this old ass dell that hes upgrading, I picked out a wrong video card for him thinking his mobo used an AGP so we're sending it back found out he used PCI. Whats a good PCI card? He wants to play wow basically, he just bought a new 160gig hard drive and upgraded the ram from 512 to a gig so all he needs is a decent GPU now.
May 7, 2012 9:46:38 PM

Looking on Newegg shows that they still have PCI video cards up to the $150 range; however, it's anybody's guess as to whether you could actually play WoW on one of these. I would think you'd need to play at low resolution with all detail levels turned down as far as they can go.

Edited to point out that WoW barely gets playable frame rates at 1650 x 1080 on an AGP 4670, which is going to be much faster than any PCI video card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2012 9:46:46 PM

He won't be able to play WOW with a PCI graphics card.

Tell him to save up for a new system, and once he gets enough come back here and we can slap together a nice system for him.

If he's hell bent on playing WOW on an old system - i think the best he could do would be a Radeon 3450 512MB PCI card. Even then, he might have to use a resolution like 1024x768.

My point is: the game will run like crap, and won't look very good.
m
l
Related resources
May 7, 2012 9:57:40 PM

So its pointless?

Edit: Well I mean so if he buys that video card, he can at least play? Graphics all the way down of course low resolution?

I've raided on a 98 dell with stock video card and only 512 ram, I mean raiding sucked always had to get rezed if I ran out the computer froze but arena was fine.
m
l
May 7, 2012 10:22:23 PM

Alright so I'm looking at this Mobo, he has a spot on the Mobo that should have an AGP bus there, theres just no bus, its empty and above it even says AGP. Can we buy a bus a put in there or no?

Because we ordered a Radeon HD 4670 but theres just no bus for it on mobo, fuckin OEMs
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2012 10:31:17 PM

If he just "upgraded" to 1GB of ram, I mean that pretty much tells us it's older than dirt and the cpu is probably very slow and single core, so any decent video card would just be held back by the cpu anyways. 1GB of ram won't even run modern Windows.

It's called a slot, your saying there's no slot for a video card?

So you bought agp card, returned it, bought a pci card, and there's no pci slot. I mean did ya ever think maybe to look at the mobo before you went through all this?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2012 10:45:13 PM

look at picking up a 2nd hand system thats newer than the mentioned Dell.

something with atleast PCI-Express x16. otherwise your just wasting time and money.
m
l
May 7, 2012 10:48:02 PM

No I haven't RMA'd the 4670(the card just came in today), I thought that since this computer was new than the older dell I used to play on (which had an AGP slot) that this one would but it doesn't. It has a spot on the mob for one but it is not installed on the mobo. In fact the 4670 is requiring an AMOLE, which my old computers video card didn't, the PSU in the computer may not even be able to run the 4670 saying I some how get the slot installed.

Hes running XP, he wanted windows 7 but I told him no because his computers so old. The processor is a 2.7 ghz dual core intel
m
l
August 3, 2012 1:01:58 AM

Chainzsaw said:
He won't be able to play WOW with a PCI graphics card.

Tell him to save up for a new system, and once he gets enough come back here and we can slap together a nice system for him.

If he's hell bent on playing WOW on an old system - i think the best he could do would be a Radeon 3450 512MB PCI card. Even then, he might have to use a resolution like 1024x768.

My point is: the game will run like crap, and won't look very good.

This is all completely wrong...

I only have a PCI card and i can run most new games out now.. including Diablo 3/Starcraft 2/Black Prophecy/EVE all at low-mid settings with excellent frame rate

If your friend does not want to upgrade his MOBA to a pcie slot i recomend the ATI Club 3d Radeon HD 5450 512Mb

Its a great card and was even cheaper than older crappy pci cards

m
l
!