Your question

Screen goes black in Video Games

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Video Games
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 7, 2012 9:37:06 PM

Hello, I am really at a loss. I am technically savy (BSc in Comp Science) but from a hardware perspective, I am not very good.

When I am playing the following games (Tera and SWTOR) my screen will go black for about 5 seconds, the sound will "slow" / stop and then everything will go back to normal.

The windows event viewer reports the nvidia drivers has stopped responding and was recovered.

I am running the following:
eVGA Geforce GTX Ti 550 SC
GSkill 16 gigs of RAM DDR3
Intel Core i5 2500k
ASUS p8z68 - VPRO
Antec Three Hundred Versatile Mid Tower Gamer Case

My best guess is that it's overheating, but I have no idea how I can solve that. I got the graphics card in June 2011 and I upgraded the mobo, CPU and RAM in November. The problems started when I upgraded my CPU. I figure the old CPU was a bottleneck and the card never heated up too quickly. I figure with the card back to being a bottle neck, it's overheating.

If anyone here has advice on what programs to run to track the heat of the video card (I tried this in december, never found software that worked...). Or even how to solve this issue. I used the Tera Auto-Detect graphics mode, but have bumped it down since, and it still does it. SWTOR was the same, even on the lowest setting. This machine shouldn't have issues with running these games on Medium.

I have updated to the latest drivers and am not sure what to do from here. The card is within the In Store Product replacement period, so I can return it. If they tell me it's software, I will get billed, so I want to rule that our first.

More about : screen black video games

a b Î Nvidia
May 7, 2012 10:43:53 PM

check to see if your ram is on the mb qual list. some mb and rams are funny how they run..ie some run fine with two sticks but not four. also try pulling out 1/2 ram and see that it running using the xmp profile for the correct speed. the 301 drivers from nvidia are a little buggie for games. i used them on my rig and reverted back after i was getting slow frame rates and studdering with the 301 drivers. with the older 29x driver the game (coh) ran fine.

http://crashfixes.com/fixing-tera-pc-crashes-lagging-in...
m
l
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
May 7, 2012 10:53:24 PM

for watching you card i suggest:
http://www.evga.com/precision/

i get the same thing from time to time . .got the same card too.
m
l
Related resources
May 7, 2012 10:55:02 PM

smorizio said:
check to see if your ram is on the mb qual list. some mb and rams are funny how they run..ie some run fine with two sticks but not four. also try pulling out 1/2 ram and see that it running using the xmp profile for the correct speed. the 301 drivers from nvidia are a little buggie for games. i used them on my rig and reverted back after i was getting slow frame rates and studdering with the 301 drivers. with the older 29x driver the game (coh) ran fine.

http://crashfixes.com/fixing-tera-pc-crashes-lagging-in...

Thanks for the post. I will check the MB qual list. I will also try pulling out 1/2 the RAM.

I don't understand the XMP profile. I might just try to reverting to the 29x driver series.
m
l
May 8, 2012 3:08:39 AM

I tried the precision software what was mentioned. It's clocking my GPU while playing Tera at 74C.

That seems high. I know it's a Superclocked, do any of you recommend reducing the clocking speed on it to get it a little less hot?

m
l
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
May 8, 2012 4:39:21 AM

Rakoth_Maugrim said:
I tried the precision software what was mentioned. It's clocking my GPU while playing Tera at 74C.

That seems high. I know it's a Superclocked, do any of you recommend reducing the clocking speed on it to get it a little less hot?

there is a "fan curve" where you can have the % of the fan increase, raising the RPMs, in relation to GPU temp.

Features:

GPU and Memory Frequency/Clock Offset
Power Target Control (GeForce GTX 680)
Frame Rate Target Control
GPU Voltage Adjustment
Fan Control/Fan Curve
Profiling system allowing up to 10 profiles with optional hotkey
Robust monitoring allowing ingame, system tray, and/or Logitech LCD monitoring
In game screenshot hotkey, supports BMP, PNG and JPG formats
Multi-language support: English, Dutch, French, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian

m
l
!