sharpiedpanda

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Hello,

I just bought a new 7870 (gigabyte) for a friend and the heat sink fans are not working. The GPU works ( I am using it right now ).

Any ideas? All of the fan power cords are connected :heink:

-SP

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
maybe something to do with CCC? i *think* there are fan settings in there.

and i don't really understand how you say the fans work after you tested them...does that mean your problem is solved?

in any case it's most probably a hardware problem. plug it into your friend's comp and see if it works in there. if it doesn't, it's in all likelihood a hardware defect and there's nothing left for you to do except rma it.

also, what's your psu?

sharpiedpanda

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
I tested the fans by running straight DC independent of the card. I don't think its a software problem because I have tried to use CCC, afterburner, and trixx; they all say that they are changing the fan speed but the speed sensors are reading 0 (as they should). Its most likely a card problem; like somewhere the PCB line got cut or maybe a power regulator is faulty. It just sucks because I did a total build and that was the only part to not work :(. I have tested it on 2 gigabyte motherboards with an ocz 650W and a PC power and cooling 760W

-SP