Closed Solved

ASUS A8V-Deluxe & Windows 7 - No Network Cable Connected Issue

Hello there,

I have been having some trouble with Windows 7 and an ASUS A8V-Deluxe motherboard (K8T800). Windows 7 will not recognise that a network cable has been plugged in, even though the network cable and switch port tests ok on another PC. I've also tried a number of network cables CAT5e/CAT6.

Previous OS was Windows XP and everything worked fine.

System specs:
Asus A8V-Deluxe (939)
Athlon 3500
2GB DDR400
NVidia 6600GT 256MB
250GB IDE Hard drive
LG DVD-RW (IDE)

Background: Started with a BIOS reset and a clean install and format of the hard drive every time

1. Installed Win7 x64 - Network Cable Unplugged
2. Installed Win7 x86 - Network Cable Unplugged
3. Installed Win7 x64 & added a known-to-be-working Intel Pro 100S NIC - Network Cable Unplugged on both NIC's
4. Installed Win7 x64 & added a known-to-be-working Intel Pro 100S NIC - Network Cable Unplugged on both NIC's
5. Disabled Onboard NIC and re-installed Win7 x64 - Network Cable Unplugged (Pro 100S)
6. Disabled Onboard NIC and re-installed Win7 x86 - Network Cable Unplugged (Pro 100S)

So it would appear that something else is causing the Network Cable Uplugged issue, it looks like something within Windows 7, rather than a physical problem with the NIC.

I have tried disabling IPv6, but that makes no difference.

I have tried a couple of BIOS versions, maybe if anyone out there has had any success with this MB and Windows 7 they could recommend a BIOS version?

I'm pretty much stumped with this one, hoping that someone has some fresh ideas!

Cheers,
Jaffa
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about asus deluxe windows network cable connected issue
  1. Do you have "home made" network cables? One might be mis-wired. I've seen cables that will work on one computer but get the "unplugged" error on another.
  2. Best answer
    Quote:
    No Network Cable Connected Issue

That is an older socket 939 via chipset MB which has no drivers issued for Windows 7 either from the MB Mfg. or Via technologies. The message appears because there is no driver installed for the onboard ethernet chip. You may have to purchase a third party ethernet adapter for that board.

This one has a drriver available for Windows 7.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166040&cm_re=ethernet_adapter-_-33-166-040-_-Product
  3. Unfortunately with this being an older board it does not have any PCI-e... It's an AGP board with 5 PCI slots for expansion.

Asus A8V-Deluxe (old review)

I have just checked and Windows 7 has installed drivers for both the onboard NIC and PCI Intel Pro 100S cards.

Have also tried replacing the M$ Win7 driver with the one on the Marvell website but to no avail. The onboard NIC is a Marvell Yukon based on the Marvell 88E8001 chip.

I came across the following on the Windows 7 forums, and it seems to describe what i am experiencing. This looks to be known issue with Vista/Win7 and the K8 939 motherboards. Sigh...

Windows Vista x64/x86 doesn't work either, which leaves me stuck with WinXP on this system only because of an incompatibility with Vista/Win7.

I'll also try a few more BIOS updates and changes, maybe even manually try setting IRQ's and such like. Perhaps putting the NICs on an unused IRQ will help, i'm actually curious to see if the onboard Yukon, and the PCI Intel Pro100S share the same IRQ at the moment.

Is it possible to run in Windows XP mode for system drivers? (Windows 7 Ultimate) Specifically run in XP compatibility mode for the Marvell Yukon NIC?

All else fails, i'm going to buy a Win7 supported NIC to see if that will resolve this. I don't think i have one lying about, and finding one in the local stores with guaranteed win7 support isn't going to be easy. I learned a long time ago not to trust PC World...
  4. I have the A8V-E Deluxe MOBO and am experiencing a similar issue, my wired connection is working fine with whatever drivers windows installed but I can't get the wireless features of the MOBO to be recognized in Win7 x64. I contacted ASUS with the problem and they said:

"Unfortunately we do not support Win7 on this model motherboard. You will have to get the wireless driver from the chipset manufacture of the wireless, which is wifi-g."

Now I am chasing down this vague "solution". Hopefully we will have some better luck, for now I'm stuck with my PC being close to the router :(
  5. Thi is your onboard wireless chip for the ASUS A8V-E Deluxe MB:

Marvell 88W8310 controller

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-a8ve-deluxe_4.html#sect0

Search for a Windows 7 or Vista driver for that chip at Marvell support:

http://www.marvell.com/support.html
  6. Badge,

I've exhausted all options i think in regards to getting the onboard NIC to work with Win7.

I've ordered some Win7 compatible PCI NIC's. Will install at the weekend and see if i enjoy better luck with networking.

Will post again over the weekend just to confirm that was the work around on these boards for Win7.

Chadilac,

You're a little more fortunate than me with having a newer NIC chipset on the A8V-E board (K8T890 chipset and 88E8053 LAN), i hope you can work round the WIFI card problem. Perhaps you may need to look at trying a newer USB wireless card as well to see if that works.

Cheers,
    Jaffa
  7. All,

I have replaced the onboard NIC on the A8V board with Tenda PCI Gigabit NIC which is based on the Realtek 8169 network chip. I imagine there are rebrandings of this particular chip pretty much anywhere but what was good is that this one was designed for the PCI bus rather than PCIe. Well that'll be the PCI bus saturated!

This works perfectly with Windows 7. So i guess as a work around, replace the old NIC with a new one did the trick.

I do wish to add some experience i had with regards to netork cables with Windows Vista and Windows 7. It would appear that they are much more sensitive to the type of cable used, whether it be CAT5e or CAT6. For example, 1Gbit Switch/ 1Gbit NIC on one of my computers with several CAT5e cables could only connect at 10mbps, and i had to manually set this. However if i used a CAT6 cable it would connect at 1Gbit every time!

The switch is a Netgear 8-port Gbit Switch (one of the compact blue ones, i forget the exact model number.

Cheers,
    Jaffa
  8. Best answer selected by jaffa.
  9. For what it's worth, I have a run of the mill ASUS A8V-Deluxe (WITHOUT the "E"/wireless). I am running Win7 Home Premium with 3MB of RAM and the built-in Marvell NIC with the Win7-supplied driver working fine at 1GB. I've experimented with BIOS versions from 14 to 18.2 (beta, apparently never finalized), and am currently on 14 due to opinions expressed by others who had problems with later releases. (Notably the dreaded "USB current overload") The only thing I can think of is that the network interface is turned off in the BIOS. Alternatively, given that it worked before, you might have had a failure (lightening surge, static while messing with the system, etc.) I have NOT had occasion to try the troubleshooting tools for the built-in NIC, but the ASUS page for this MB claims that there are connection testing tools. (Built in?) If you can figure out how to use them, that might tell you what the problem really is. On the other hand, you've managed a work-around with a new NIC, and if things are going swimmingly, then no since arguing with success. You might =want= to determine the problem, though, in case you decided to use the built-in NIC or somehow bond the two you have. I'd be interested in knowing if you try to define the issue further, given that I can tell you the Marvell controller certainly works with Win 7.
  10. I've got an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe MB with 64bit Win 7 installed and I've also been seeing the "network cable unplugged" problem. Its weird because the network will work fine for weeks, rebooting and all until I reboot it one day and the network won't connect. I tried all the stuff mentioned in the other forums; disable ipv6, set link speed to 100mb full duplex etc but none of that helped. I noticed I had an unknown device in device manager (yellow question mark) and I saw a windows message about the game port not being compatible with 64 bit windows so I went into the bios and and disabled the game port. This board has 2 network adapters so I disabled the one I wasn't using too. I restarted Windows and the network still wasn't working; I went into device manager and deleted the network adapter so windows would reload it and rebooted again. This time the network came up with no problems. Hopefully removing the extra/unknown devices fixed it, but I've got it to work before for no apparent reason before it quit a few weeks later.
  11. My NIC suddenly stopped working with Win7 32 (I assume the driver was automatically updated.). I reinstalled the XP driver from the original disk and it works now. I turned off auto updating now. Hope that helps.
  12. geost read the date of the thread before replying to posters who are no longer active on the Forum. This thread is from 1-18-2010 more than a year ago. Try not to revive dead threads that move to the top of the forum and junk it up like this.
  13. jhy said:
    I've got an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe MB with 64bit Win 7 installed and I've also been seeing the "network cable unplugged" problem. Its weird because the network will work fine for weeks, rebooting and all until I reboot it one day and the network won't connect. I tried all the stuff mentioned in the other forums; disable ipv6, set link speed to 100mb full duplex etc but none of that helped. I noticed I had an unknown device in device manager (yellow question mark) and I saw a windows message about the game port not being compatible with 64 bit windows so I went into the bios and and disabled the game port. This board has 2 network adapters so I disabled the one I wasn't using too. I restarted Windows and the network still wasn't working; I went into device manager and deleted the network adapter so windows would reload it and rebooted again. This time the network came up with no problems. Hopefully removing the extra/unknown devices fixed it, but I've got it to work before for no apparent reason before it quit a few weeks later.

This is 'common' on Win7, rollbacj the network driver. MicroSoft only want people to use Intel CPUs and USA m/boards they effectively replace the network driver every chance they get. You must set your Auto-Update process to "Download but allow me to install' i.e. Do not auto-install ALL auto updates. It (Win7) regularly 'breaks' the drivers for older hardware. Which they think will FORCE everyone only to use equipment (in a very highly limited set, that they themselves recommend.) e.g. They do not really support properly older equipment... They break the following drivers... That I know of (by replacing them with 'auto-updated' ones) ANY network driver on ANY ASUS motherboard, even laptop motherboards designed specifically for Win7! HP INKJET/Laser drivers (for printers >= 2 years old) You will have to manually go in and disable the driver update for both the network (on any ASUS MBoard) and these printer drivers. If it works DO NOT fix it... i.e. Do not auto-update the drivers. They often 'break' working Win7 drivers.

Signed

the_computer_wizard@live.co.uk
  14. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers Asus Windows 7 Cable Product