Multilingual

Hello

I got winxp (oem). At the installation I can chose the language (German,
English, French, ...). I've chosen German. But now some dialogs, menues and
folder (for ex. c.\program files, or c:\documents and settings) still are in
English.
Is ist possible to fix that?

Thanks
Richard
4 answers Last reply
More about multilingual

    Windows XP is written in specific language versions, therefore one
    cannot change it from one language version to another. You'll need
    to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP in the language version
    you desire, reformat your drive and install it "clean".

    Or if you have an available empty drive or partition, you can install
    another "Full Version" of Windows XP in a different language version
    and create a dual-boot configuration.

    Cannot Upgrade or Install a Different Language Version of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089

    Welcome to WorldLanguage.com!
    http://www.worldlanguage.com/

    A good third-party partitioning program is Partition Magic 8.
    http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

    Clean Install Windows XP

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Richard Brunner" wrote:

    | Hello
    |
    | I got winxp (oem). At the installation I can chose the language (German,
    | English, French, ...). I've chosen German. But now some dialogs, menues and
    | folder (for ex. c.\program files, or c:\documents and settings) still are in
    | English.
    | Is ist possible to fix that?
    |
    | Thanks
    | Richard

    Hy Carey

    This Windows XP version is pre-installed from IBM. As I the first time
    started the computer I could chose the different languages to install
    windows. I chose "German" but not the whole windows was in "German"; some
    texts are written in "English" (see my examples below).

    Richard

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Windows XP is written in specific language versions, therefore one
    > cannot change it from one language version to another. You'll need
    > to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP in the language version
    > you desire, reformat your drive and install it "clean".
    >
    > Or if you have an available empty drive or partition, you can install
    > another "Full Version" of Windows XP in a different language version
    > and create a dual-boot configuration.
    >
    > Cannot Upgrade or Install a Different Language Version of Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089
    >
    > Welcome to WorldLanguage.com!
    > http://www.worldlanguage.com/
    >
    > A good third-party partitioning program is Partition Magic 8.
    > http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/
    >
    > Clean Install Windows XP
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    > "Richard Brunner" wrote:
    >
    > | Hello
    > |
    > | I got winxp (oem). At the installation I can chose the language (German,
    > | English, French, ...). I've chosen German. But now some dialogs, menues and
    > | folder (for ex. c.\program files, or c:\documents and settings) still are in
    > | English.
    > | Is ist possible to fix that?
    > |
    > | Thanks
    > | Richard

    Richard;
    You were not able to choose the language, you were able to choose the
    regional settings.
    Go to Regional and Language Options in the Control Panel for those settings.

    Since your Windows XP came in English, English is what you have.
    If you want Windows XP in German, you need to purchase Windows XP in German.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Richard Brunner" <Richard Brunner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:A953BE20-B05E-40D7-BD93-3784B6858892@microsoft.com...

    Richard Brunner wrote:
    > Hy Carey
    >
    > This Windows XP version is pre-installed from IBM. As I the first time
    > started the computer I could chose the different languages to install
    > windows. I chose "German" but not the whole windows was in "German";
    > some texts are written in "English" (see my examples below).
    >
    > Richard

    If it was preinstalled, and you knew you wanted a German version why didn't
    you order the German version?! What part of Carey's reply are you having
    problems understanding, exactly? Let me spell it out for you: -

    If you want (got that?) Windows XP's GUI (that's Graphical User Interface)
    in GERMAN (with me so far?) then you will need to purchase (that means
    'buy') the full version (that means not the upgrade) of the version of your
    choice (still there?) and install it clean (that means to wipe everything
    from the hard drive), and thus you will invalidate (that means to make
    invalid) your system's warranty.

    You should have specified that you wanted the GUI to be in German when you
    ordered the system. You only have yourself to blame. The language you chose
    affects the only the input language.

    on salads.