Sign in with
Your question

Problems when playing games.

Last response: in Components
November 8, 2012 4:56:30 PM

Hello.

I am having problems when playing games.. It is most noticable in FPS games like Battlefield Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3 and CoD4 on PC.

After I play about 20 minutes, my game starts to get laggy and it lags whenever I shoot my guns. Well not really "lag" but. Around that 20 minutes it lags about 5 seconds when I shoot. Then my hit detection/recoil/spread starts getting horrible. My gun just shakes alot when I shoot it and its uncontrollable. This is always after 20 minutes and it does this ALL The time.. The only thing that fixes it is doing a shut down of computer then booting it up again. Then it stays good for 20 minutes again.

My System specs:

4 GB DDR3 RAM 1333 MHZ

Radeon HD 6950

AMD Phenom II 965 @ Normal clock (I swapped this out too from my old one, did not fix it either)

600W Power supply (I Recently swapped out my 500W for this, did not fix the problem. Seemed to have helped but it did not)

So my temperatures are fine and my CPU and GPU usage seems fine. I've looked at it myself. It's at around 70% for CPU and 99% for GPU. Temps are 65 max on GPU and 45 on CPU.

What is wrong and what can I do to fix this?

I dont think this is related to ANY settings, just hardware probably.

More about : problems playing games

November 8, 2012 4:57:23 PM

Your GPU isn't the best, an GPU upgrade should fix the problem.
November 8, 2012 5:18:14 PM

The 6950 should handle those games just fine unless something is wrong with it.

Have you tried playing on lower settings? Try that and see what happens.

This happens when you play offline too? Its not your ISP?

Only thing left is software. Is there an antivirus or something that could be self activating?
Related resources
November 8, 2012 5:43:50 PM

I've tried disabling anti virus, not really a change. And no it is not my internet. As I have 0% packet loss and 90 download speed and around 60-80 upload.

Yes this happens when I play offline. I dont really notice it too much though as people die so fast anyways, for example in singleplayer.

My frames are like the same but the game is very not-smooth and as I described above.

I already said it was not my settings as I've tried pretty much everything.
November 8, 2012 7:30:44 PM

The only reason i said it was the GPU is because the GPU is at full load (well 1% under atleast) and there are problems with the game slowing down and this website shows how well the HD 6950 runs at certain resolutions.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/03/05/amd-radeon-...

Have you tried overclocking your CPU or GPU?

Have you updated drivers to the latest, if so have you tried rolling back the drivers (reinstalling the older version).
November 10, 2012 1:11:12 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
The only reason i said it was the GPU is because the GPU is at full load (well 1% under atleast) and there are problems with the game slowing down and this website shows how well the HD 6950 runs at certain resolutions.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/03/05/amd-radeon-...

Have you tried overclocking your CPU or GPU?

Have you updated drivers to the latest, if so have you tried rolling back the drivers (reinstalling the older version).

I have tried updating all the drivers, tried disabling drivers, tried disabling the latest directx. I have tried overclocking my CPU with positive results, the game felt alot smoother but it didnt help with anything.

As with GPU yeah I've tried overclocking and underclocking it. It seems that I cant overclock my GPU to full potential though. As it only goes up to 840 mhz and 1325 mhz. Whether that's the max on every 6950 I dont know, cause I dont know alot about computers. But anyways my friend found that very strange that it could only go that high.
November 10, 2012 7:46:25 PM

Most modern GPUs have problems over 1100 like temps from the stock cooling not being able to cool the card enough and stability issues, i recommend overclocking to 900- 1050 Max and bumping the memory clock a bit ( 50 - 100 MHz).

GPUs aren't clocked as high as CPUs like your friend might think, most GPUs use more transistors than CPUs and they have an considerable higher amount of cores than a CPU so they don't need to be clocked over over 1.325 GHz hence why most cards are stock clocked 800MHz - 1100 MHz stock and most CPUs are stock clocked from around 3.2 GHz - 4 GHz.
!